New Rumours of Bin Laden death....from typhoid in Pakistan.

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 06:07 am
Who knows?

But here the reports are:

CBS:

Report: Bin Laden Dead
Saudi Intelligence Believes Al Qaeda Leader Died Of Typhoid, French Paper Reports

PARIS, Sept. 23, 2006 (CBS/AP)

"According to a reliable source, Saudi security services are now convinced that Osama bin Laden is dead."
French intelligence report

(CBS/AP) The French defense ministry on Saturday called for an internal investigation of the leak of an intelligence document that raises the possibility that Osama bin Laden may have died of typhoid in Pakistan a month ago but said the report of the death remained unverified.

"The information defused this morning by the l'Est Republicain newspaper concerning the possible death of Osama bin Laden cannot be confirmed," a Defense Ministry statement said.

The daily newspaper for the Lorraine region in eastern France printed what it described as a confidential document from the French foreign intelligence service DGSE citing an uncorroborated report from Saudi secret services that the leader of the al Qaeda terror network had died.

Intelligence sources tell CBS News that the document is an accurate reflection of what the Saudi intelligence agents believe.

The contents of the document, dated Sept. 21, or Thursday, were not confirmed by French or other intelligence sources. However, the DGSE transmitted the note to President Jacques Chirac and other officials, the newspaper said.

Defense Minister Michele Alliot-Marie "has demanded an investigation be carried out of this leak," a ministry statement said, adding that transmission of the confidential document could risk punishment.......

STORY CONTINUES

France probes report of bin Laden's death
Unconfirmed report says Saudi convinced terror chief died in Pakistan INTERACTIVE

• The war on terror
Learn about attacks, arrests and other major incidents in global terrorism since 1993. Click "Launch" to view.

Updated: 7:45 a.m. ET Sept. 23, 2006

PARIS - The French defense ministry on Saturday called for an internal investigation of the leak of an intelligence document that raises the possibility that Osama bin Laden may have died of typhoid in Pakistan a month ago but said the report of the death remained unverified.

"The information defused this morning by the l'Est Republicain newspaper concerning the possible death of Osama bin Laden cannot be confirmed," a Defense Ministry statement said.

The daily newspaper for the Lorraine region in eastern France printed what it described as a confidential document from the French foreign intelligence service DGSE citing an uncorroborated report from Saudi secret services that the leader of the al-Qaida terror network had died.

Continues here:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14963302/

Just off to check Al Jazeera.net
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,027 • Replies: 39
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 06:12 am
I'm sure that three days from now they will roll away the stone and he'll appear to Achmed of whoever before ascending into the 72 Virgin motel.....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 06:16 am
Hmmm...nothing on aljazeera.net, or CNN.

This is all based on French intelligence leaked document as far as I can see.

Nothing on BBC.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 06:20 am
In the Western World typhoid can be prevented and cured. The rumor may or may not be true, but death by sharia has a pleasing inevitability.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 06:50 am
The report said that he died because hiding away in Pakistan, he could not get medical help.

I would think they would arrange to get medical help to him-I'm sure there are doctors in sympathy with al-Qaeda.

The report might be true, but of course we have had reports of bin Laden's death before. Years ago, Musharraf of Pakistan said he believed that bin Laden was dead back then.

You don't suppose this is Rove's October Surprise coming a little early, do you? Razz Razz
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 08:18 am
CNN
CNN is reporting that bin Laden is and has been ill for several weeks from a water-borne illness.

BBB
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 08:31 am
The link to the original French report is the thread I started minutes earlier, here :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 08:33 am
dlowan wrote:
Hmmm...nothing on aljazeera.net, or CNN.

This is all based on French intelligence leaked document as far as I can see.

Nothing on BBC.

The French paper says - as did all the other media (because the repeated that news from L'Est Republicain) - mentioned Saudi-Arabian intelligence, not French.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 08:33 am
Following this with interest. If it's true, it's a pretty good outcome -- he'd be out of the picture, but not bombed or gunned down or any more obvious martyr-making end.

Always possible that his followers would claim he was poisoned (and always possible that they'd be right).

Mostly interested in confirmation at this point, that'll probably be a long time coming even if true though, eh?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 08:40 am
Noddy24 wrote:
In the Western World typhoid can be prevented and cured.

Most people in the Western world don't live in caves and drink feces saturated water.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 08:48 am
kelticwizard wrote:
The report said that he died because hiding away in
Pakistan, he could not get medical help.

Correct (emphasis by me):

Quote:
Les éléments recueillis par les saoudiens indiquent que le chef d'Al-Qaïda aurait été victime, alors qu'il se trouvait au Pakistan le 23 août 2006, d'une très forte crise de typhoïde ayant entraîné une paralysie partielle de ses membres inférieurs. Son isolement géographique, provoqué par une fuite permanente, aurait rendu impossible toute assistance médicale. Le 4 septembre 2006, les services saoudiens de sécurité ont recueilli les premiers renseignements faisant état de son décès. Ils attendraient, d'obtenir davantage de détails, et notamment le lieu exact de son inhumation, pour annoncer officiellement la nouvelle.

(From the link on my thread. Since this thread is featured, posted here again.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 08:50 am
Quote:
Most people in the Western world don't live in caves and drink feces saturated water.

Of course not....but they can choose to do so and eschew Western medicine in the spirit of sharia.

Insha'Allah!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 08:52 am
Can get the same cathartic effect by eating spinach from the polluted farms of California, too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 09:18 am
Just spinach..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 09:20 am
It was French secret service leak of Saudi reports, Walter.

Continue to be unconfirmed.

Bin Laden death report 'unconfirmed'

From correspondents in Compiegne

September 24, 2006 12:00
Article from: Agence France-Presse

FRANCE, Pakistan and the US said today a report Osama bin Laden had died of typhoid was unconfirmed, while Paris was probing how the intelligence brief it was based on came to be leaked.

French President Jacques Chirac stressed to journalists: "This information is in no way confirmed."

He added he was "surprised" the French newspaper l'Est Republicain had published an excerpt from a French secret service note relaying information from Saudi Arabia's intelligence service.

"I am a little surprised that a confidential DGSE (French foreign intelligence service) note should be published," Mr Chirac told a media conference, after a summit in the town of Compiegne, north of Paris, with Russian President Vladimir Putin and German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

The note by the DGSE, dated September 21 and published today by l'Est Republicain, said Saudi intelligence officials "are now convinced that Osama bin Laden is dead".

It said "information gathered by the Saudis" from a source they considered reliable indicates bin Laden "might have succumbed to a very serious case of typhoid fever resulting in partial paralysis of his lower limbs while in Pakistan on August 23, 2006.

"His geographic isolation provoked by constant fleeing is believed to have made medical assistance impossible (and) on September 4, 2006, the Saudi security services received preliminary information of his death."

It said the Saudis were "waiting to obtain further details and notably the exact place of burial before officially announcing the news".

The DGSE refused to confirm the report, which L'Est Republicain said had been sent on Thursday to Chirac, Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin, Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy and Defence Minister Michele Alliot-Marie, and no immediate official reaction was forthcoming from Saudi officials.

In Washington, Sean McCormack, a State Department spokesman, also said: "We don't have any confirmation."

And Pakistan's interior minister, Aftab Sherpao, told AFP in Islamabad: "No, we do not have any such information with us."

Security officials hunting al-Qaeda in Pakistan rejected the report.

"There is an excellent co-operation between Pakistani and Saudi intelligence services and no such information has been shared," a senior security official told AFP, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The official said it was "inconceivable that an event of this nature would remain unnoticed in Pakistan, where we are constantly on the al-Qaeda hunt."........

Continues here:

http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/story/0,22049,20467390-5006506,00.html

Looking less and less likely to be true, I would say...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 09:23 am
It seems to me that the information that bin Laden died would be as assiduously hidden as bin Laden himself. He's of far more use as a shadowy menace about which nothing is certain than someone who's definitely dead.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 09:26 am
sozobe wrote:
It seems to me that the information that bin Laden died would be as assiduously hidden as bin Laden himself. He's of far more use as a shadowy menace about which nothing is certain than someone who's definitely dead.

Hmmm.......probably really only to the USA...and perhaps Oz and GB.

I doubt France etc have a horse in that particular sleazy race.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 09:28 am
dlowan wrote:
It was French secret service leak of Saudi reports, Walter.

Quote:
Les services secrets saoudiens auraient acquis la conviction que le fondateur d'Al-Qaïda est mort.

L'information que nous révélons aujourd'hui résulte d'une note de renseignement classifiée « confidentiel défense » émanant de la Direction générale des services extérieurs (DGSE). Les services secrets français l'ont transmise jeudi 21 septembre au Président de la république, au Premier ministre, au ministre de l'Intérieur et de la Défense. Nous vous en livrons le contenu in-extenso. :

« Selon une source habituellement fiable, les services saoudiens auraient désormais acquis la conviction qu'Oussama Ben Laden est mort. Les éléments recueillis par les saoudiens indiquent que le chef d'Al-Qaïda aurait été victime, alors qu'il se trouvait au Pakistan le 23 août 2006, d'une très forte crise de typhoïde ayant entraîné une paralysie partielle de ses membres inférieurs. Son isolement géographique, provoqué par une fuite permanente, aurait rendu impossible toute assistance médicale. Le 4 septembre 2006, les services saoudiens de sécurité ont recueilli les premiers renseignements faisant état de son décès. Ils attendraient, d'obtenir davantage de détails, et notamment le lieu exact de son inhumation, pour annoncer officiellement la nouvelle ».

Well, not according to the original report in the paper - and that hasn't changed since then.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 09:29 am
Sure, to the US -- I just mean whether the information would be likely to be hidden or not. I think so.

I don't have any particular feel for whether this is true or not, but I think that -- even if only in terms of the US -- the people who have worked so hard to keep him hidden would also be interested in keeping the news of his death quiet.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 09:33 am
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY MORE NEWS ABOUT THIS?
0 Replies