The Return of The Kuvasok!

kuvasz

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 09:21 pm
http://aja.freehosting.net/star_wars_6_return_of_the_jediabcDE600.jpg
They are back.....and sleeping at my feet as they had been for ages.

All is well with the world.

Well, I am now better than in any time since I had my strokes in March. I can walk, with a slight limp and probably will never be able to dunk a basketball again (unless its an eight foot rim) but I feel fine and am able to deal with big, strong dogs like the Kuvasz.and I have waited for this day for a long time! Today I drove to the wonderful folks who own Foxhaven Kennels and picked up Abba and Aja(II).

Boy, I know how Jesus must have felt upon entry into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday! I am still wiping dog slobber off my clothes from the greeting Abba and Aja gave me.

The people who helped me said that they enjoyed their time with my two rascals. Abba was kenneled for the most part, and was able to roam daily around the farm, sleeping at night in his kennel run. I was told that he had acted as the scolding uncle to the young male Kuvasok in the kennel. Strange, because he is the most subdued Kuvasz I have had, but like the breed in general, he stepped up to the plate whenever necessary and take charge if chaos rears it ugly head. Aja had become one of the couple's house dogs and with another Kuvasz they had and had the run of the house, except when the family was storing green beans. It seemed that Aja, poor dear wanted to help, but with no opposing thumb things got a bit messy. So, she was banished outside while they ever they did any canning.

The two doggies look wonderful. They were clipped a couple of days ago and now each look like a freshly clipped Marine recruit at Paris Island.

The moment I drove up to the farm both Abba and Aja were in the back but when the saw me they immediately ran over to see me and jumped all over me licking and barking their hello. As soon as I opened the side door to my van both jumped in, sat down and gave me a look that broadcast a feeling of "Well, finally you're here! Let's go!"

The whole 250 mile drive back I had Abba on my left should peeking his nose out the driver's window and Aja, licking my ear and drooling up a waterfall on my right shoulder enjoying view and the air conditioner blowing right into her face. .. after a few miles, they would switch.. so I was a dog drool mess when I got home.

Ah, the memories!

When I got home I opened the front door and Little Bit was standing there and when she saw Abba she immediately went up on her hind legs to greet him and licked him on his nose. The same followed when Aja came in the house.

I took a nap a while ago and when I awoke all three dogs were nestled next to me.

It's like nothing ever happened.

Except that I limp.

I pray each day for Raja, Dr. J, and Luckiedog. I have been in touch with each family who gracious adopted them and I can't think of any of my dogs without a degree of guilt and pangs of loneliness about having to have them adopted. Had Doc and Luckie not been such stinkers about breaking out of my fence daily and upsetting my neighbors who threatened to shoot them I would not have had to find them homes. As to Raja, I am very glad he is living in the phat with a man who loves him very much. I regret that he was just one dog too many for me, because he is a wonderful Kuvasz.

It has now been nearly one year since I found out about Kodi's cancer and it is hard to imagine all that has transpired, both the joys and sadness. But I would not have had it any other way.... except to have been there holding Kodi in my arms as she passed away.

Time to go and slip in a Lassie movie in the DVD player and chill out with the pack......

And I can hear them now....."Yo! Dad, toss me another biscuit!"

Home sweet home, fur and all!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,230 • Replies: 14
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 09:28 pm
This is a joy to read.

Great great news.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 09:33 pm
ossobuco wrote:
This is a joy to read.

Great great news.

ditto
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 09:46 pm
Absolutely!

I am so happy for all of you!

Liam, our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, sends his best. (And that's pretty good.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 09:52 pm
Pacco sends some corgi hair for pillow stuffing...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 10:44 pm
WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 06:31 am
I'm delighted for you, kuvasz! Hooray! Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 06:33 am
Yay!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 07:28 am
I love good news. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 07:31 am
Good to see you again, Boss, and to see the puppies, and to learn that you are well and coping.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 11:12 am
Hooray on the re-establishment of the Kuvasz clan!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 11:17 am
Wonderful, buddy. Hope you are continuing to improve as well, Kuvasz.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 06:28 pm
I can't even describe the noise I made when I saw this thread!!!!!! I'm so happy for you all!
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 09:24 pm
Thanks for the warm greetings. The thoughts and feelings are much appreciated and returned.

It has been a long day of walking the yard and fence line with the dogs, seeing if any possible fence breaches were on their minds and where they might be by seeing where they were focusing their attention. It was an opportunity to check out their general health and attitudes. Both Abba and Aja are the same but different, loving suchlike and very familiar with me. But both of them are somewhere floating between just happy to be home and a sense of wary watchfulness, like a wizened gaze a sailor has at journey's end. I am smoothing that over with lots of hugs and brushings.

Aja looks noticeably older, but is as pestering as ever. She will jump up on her hind legs to lick me on the nose or just slap me on the shoulder with those big long legs of hers as a greeting. She just pushed her nose on my elbow to give her attention. Abba, normally reticent looks genuinely happy to see me and is hanging around me all day. Little Bit loves Abba and they were sleeping paw to paw a few minutes ago on the living room.

Strange to move from a seven pound peanut of a dog to two 100 pound plus large animals in the house and yard.

And Little Bit seems okay and has been playing with one or another of the big dogs most of the evening, playing hide and seek in the bedroom, down the hallway to end with her jumping on the sofa as a Kuvasz barks at her and she smiles back inches from their noses.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 09:32 pm
Wonderful news!

Great to hear things are back on track.
0 Replies