THE UGLY STEP CHILD . . .

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 06:08 am
In another thread, i noted that while we were ostensibly engaged in a war on terrorism, we went to war in Iraq--my implication being that this (the Iraq War) was what i characterized before the war as a dangerous side venture--we had done Afghanistan on the cheap, and that it "remains the ugly step child of the administration's foreign policy."

Things like this continue to convince me that this bunch has lost interest in Aghanistan, because it doesn't pay off like Iraq might (or perhpas already does), and that their committment to fighting a war on terror has never been more than policy facade designed to make the Prez looked determined and relentlessly devoted to our security. Of course, the war on terrorism also provides an excuse for the Reverend Ashcroft to demand broader scope to ignore the basic rights of citizens--just another plus to a policy charade.

Meanwhile, there is so much that needs done in Afghanistan, and, were i a gambling man, i'd wager good money that it's left to simmer until the pot burns up.

The New York Times (from AP) wrote:
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) -- A suicide attacker detonated a car bomb near a bus carrying German peacekeepers in Kabul on Saturday, killing three and wounding at least eight in the first fatal attack on the international force, U.S. officials said.

Another 28 people were injured, the U.S. military at Bagram Air Base said in a written statement, but it did not identify them or say where they had been located during the explosion.

The multinational force in Kabul confirmed that three German soldiers had died. In Germany, an army official said at least 10 German soldiers were seriously injured.

Times article here[/color]

Feel free to disagree, of course; i am interested in your thoghts. I fully expect to be excoriated, perhaps with needless personal invective, by those with radically differing points of view.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,203 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 06:50 am
Why Setanta you must be an idjit to think the most high commander and chief is ignoring Afghanistan, after all he speaks most admirably about his accomplisments there. why just last year he told us the bad guys were all gone, there was a chicken in every pot and opium was a good marketable product requiring only a few SBA investments to get it going again. I am pretty sure that as soon as he gets them damn arabs straightened out in Palestine (next week i am almost postive) on his way thru Iran heading towards N Korea via Canada-France and Germany giving peace a chance with smarter bombs and world approval heading north again. Ameriker is on a roll with the finest WoMD money can buy. We are the World.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 06:52 am
Fiat Lux indeed, Boss . . . that commodity is in short supply these days . . .
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 07:53 am
I thought that having control of Afghanistan was supposed to provide a cheap way to get to the oil from Turkestan or Kazakhistan or one of the durn-istans. It was a pipeline project that Cheney had been working on before he became VP.

I guess this bodes badly for Iran, then.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 09:37 am
Stack'em like chord wood and keep'em coming - The Bush Philosophy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:40 pm
Bookmark
0 Replies