The Best Cat Toys--What Does Your Cat Like?

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 02:11 am
The catnip sock has lasted more then 5 years so far. Every now and then, I knead the catnip in the sock to refreshen the scent. It was a thick wool sock so maybe that contributes to its longevity.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 02:34 am
And the catnip sock is very cheap. Our first one disappeared in the vaccuum cleaner - not the cats' fault! So now they have a new one.

We also have a special cat flashlight. You can sit on the sofa and play with the spot of light on the wall. Mysan just loves to chase it. Nisse, of course, is too lazy and ignores it.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 04:12 pm
Those who are too lazy to wave a flashlight might consider a candle in a sconce... particularly if they have somewhere with a faint draft...
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 04:20 pm
My first cat back home in Sweden loved her ping-pong ball! Fast, light, and extremely loud when she played with it in the night... Had to hide the smegging ball every night before I went to bed...
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 04:35 pm
I have a doggie, too, so we go with practice golf balls. The dog is less than half the size of the cat, so we were looking all over for toys small enough for him. Cat toys will often splinter when chewed, so that kind is out for both of them... The little plastic golf balls gnaw well, and appeal to both aminals...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 10:54 pm
Mikey has a special laser light and a flashlight that projects images on the wall. He liked the laser for about a day. But I enjoy both these things. I like to make patterns with the laser. And I like to project birds and butterflies on the wall. Mikey doesn't care.

I'm willing to sacrifice a sock to the cause. I'll fill it with catnip and see what happens. Frankly, my money's on Mikey. The sock doesn't stand a chance. But I'll try it and see. Unfortunately, this is not the kind of thing I can play with if Mikey's not interested. I'll let you know what happens.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 11:24 pm
I have been thinking about one of those lasar pointers - apart from Mikey, who is possibly unrepresentative, how have people found their puddy tats react to them?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:10 am
Try a small flashlight first...mine enjoy those occassionally and I just wish someone would come up with something I didnt have to sit and hope they catch once in a while.
Plastic container thingys...the best...yes, i also just remove and throw to the floor...anything else is just wrong.
The little stuffed mice...Zoey actually devours and has found a way to the top of the fridge to get the large package of them and overdose so, now I buy two at a time.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 03:02 am
Quinn, Zoey eats the whole toy mouse. I'm impressed. Could you be just a tad more specific about the plastic thingies?

Deb, Unrepresentative? Mikey? Okay, well maybe.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:45 am
Any milk, juice or other food product that has a plastic thingy that you have to remove to get to would be the best toy. Actualy they have them in the pet stores as well and they are alot more fun, for some reason a complete circle that has a wave in it of the same plastic ring type structure bounces all over the place when a cat plays with it....keeps them occupied for a while at least.
Yeah, the mouse thing is impressive however so is the hairball.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 09:23 am
I've found cats love to fly.

So I help them.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 04:20 pm
I knew sooner or later Slappy would happen along.

Anyone wanna get together to help Slappy learn to fly? Jesus! Stop the stampede!

Will he fly further if we put flippers on his feet and hands? let's find out!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 05:21 pm
Deb, As a starting off point, I think we should see how far he can fly without any accoutrements. Once we get the basic distance established, we can start adding flippers and such. Might as well be scientific about it.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 01:54 am
Toy Report: I tried the spool of thread, sans thread. Mikey liked it, but now it's missing somewhere. I'm assuming it's under a piece of furniture.

I gave Mikey a sock with catnip in it yesterday. He loved this! He played with it for about an hour. Then I took it away. He was getting a little crazy. I gave it to him again today. He ripped the sock to shreds. Catnip all over the couch--and Mikey. I have to find stronger socks.

Thanks for the suggestions.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 02:02 am
Are you sure Slappy would survive the first flying experiment?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 06:13 am
No.
0 Replies