Tough Times Are Coming

Ragman

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 09:35 am
A special request of the pet lovin community here: please say a prayer or send over some healing peaceful energy for my sick cat.

Unfortunately, sad times are coming soon for my 2-cat home. I have 2 older cats and have had them both for 16 and 17 yrs, respectively. One is an 18-yr-old male who is about 18 lb. The other is a 9 lb female who has been a tripod (3-legged) for much of her 16 yr. life. I love my cats like family and have had many years of joy from them.

Bonkers health recently has taken a severe downturn. He started heavy labored breathing a few days ago, so I brought him to the vet. It's good that I didn't wait longer because he's now in congestive heart failure.

What has happened is that he has developed an enlarged heart along with problems in both of his ventricles with irregular heartbeats. He is still quite responsive and will purr if petted. He conserves his energy 'cause when he walks more than 10 or 15 feet (litter box and food not far) he pants and sounds like locomotive. After about 5 mins his breathing goes back to moderately heavy as it's been. Makes me so sad to see this.

The vet put him on Lasix and a few days later he put him on Enalpril. If these meds work on him, these will help keep the fluids from building up.
The vet will assess his condition in an ongoing basis but the next 2 weeks will tell what sort of quality of life he'll have. At that point in time, if he doesn't improve so that he can enjoy life ...well..you know...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 976 • Replies: 17
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 09:39 am
Sorry to read this, ragman.

It's so hard when our furkids are sick.

Sending good wishes toward you and bonkers and your clan.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 10:02 am
Sorry to hear your news, ragman.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 10:17 am
Ragman--

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 01:16 pm
Oh, that's awful. Crying or Very sad I'm so sorry, it makes me teary to hear about this.

It's such a terrible time to go through when your pets are aging. I have a rabbit who's been with me for almost ten years now, and I watch him closely all the time, just dreading when I start to see the signs. I've also had three cats who lived into their late teens, and it's so hard. I know what you're going through.

I'll be keeping you and Bonkers in my heart and wishing you both the best outcome possible over the next two weeks.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 02:16 pm
Thank you all for your kind sincere comments. Bonkers at this moment is stable and seems placid. He is resting and responds to eating tuna that I bring to him.

I'm going out on a date (also a cat lover of her 2) in a little while and, based on his behavior of the last 4 days, relaxed enough about leaving him. I set up a cell phone where Sugar, my other cat, will press a button to call me if there's any problems.

Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 03:21 pm
I am sending lots of good thoughts and energy, Ragman.

Nisse and Mysan just turned six and I cannot imagine how we ever lived without them...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 03:49 pm
Damn.

Hoping the little fella benefits from the meds and gets some more quality time.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 04:55 pm
I hope the Lasix works getting off that excess fluid.

Like Cypher said, at at certain point you start to watch your kids for those signs....

I know you'll keep Bonkers comfortable.

It's hard.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 06:06 pm
Glad to hear that you have a clever cat, Ragman. I know all will be well with Bonkers. (love that name) Our animals and birds are like children to us. I have had too many die, so there will be no more for me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 06:17 pm
The question, as you know, is always about when..

you are probably in early days on this - or I hope so - which gives you a smidge of time to think about it. Always a balance.

I'm going to be facing this stuff with Pacco (my corgi, my heart) one of these days; as his muzzle whitens he barks his way into being even more loved.

Tough on your own heart, Ragman.
I'm glad you have a girlfriend - or date - who understands.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 06:53 pm
Reading and sending good energy, Ragman.

18 yrs old! Wow. It's obvious you have been giving Bonkers a great home with lots of love. I hope the little guy is feeling more comfortable now.

I understand about hearing that pained breathing. My Chubbs is in her double digits now and has a respitory condition, and I've become very sensitive to changes in her breathing.
It truly does feel like a gift to be able to be there as they grow old, even though it hurts at times.

lots of love
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 09:44 pm
Ragman, ehBeth was kind enough to send a link to your thread for those of us on the cat thread.

My heart goes out to you and Bonkers. Thank heaven he has you to care for him and see him off with dignity and love.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 04:17 pm
Ragman wrote:
A special request of the pet lovin community here: please say a prayer or send over some healing peaceful energy for my sick cat.

Aw, I'm sorry about your sick cat, Ragman. I'm wondering how Bonkers is faring on this Monday morning. Please keep us posted. I'm hoping things are on the improve.

Yes, do join us in the Cat Room! Very Happy:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70907&highlight=

We're all besotted cat lovers in there! Very Happy
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 04:25 pm
I'm very greatful for that and all the kindnesses..

Bonkers is having decent days..and seems to be conserving energy...and not suffering but laying around...responding to attention with purring when stroked and eating when I feed him tuna. I haven't seen him standing to eat dry food though...only stands to drink water. Later this week we'll see about the slight possibility of adding one more med to the two meds but not sure yet.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 04:36 pm
Aw, poor old fella! Sad (Bonkers, I mean. Not you, Ragman. :wink: )

I have been in this sad position many a time. (My oldest cat ever reached the grand old age of 23!) You're doing all the right things. He's lucky to have such a caring human looking after him.
When mine have reached this stage I have simply indulged them (within reason of course, nothing that would make their condition worse). So, if Rats fancied roast chicken, then roast chicken it would be! If he wanted a bit more then he got it. A spell outside in the sunshine in a sheltered spot? OK, outside we'd go! But I'm sure you're thinking's pretty much along the same lines, yes? A little pleasure goes a long way.

Good luck & keep us posted.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 07:26 pm
Awwwww Ragman.

I know how hard this stuff is. I just had a big scare with my dog this very weekend and I too asked for healing thoughts to be sent her way. She's doing very well now, thank goodness. A2K provides some powerful pet vibes.

I think I still have a good amount of happy thoughts to send out to Bonkers.

It is amazing, isn't it, how much animals add to our lives?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 08:25 pm
Boomerang - sending good and healing energy your dog's way.

Absolutely...true about how much pets add to our lives. With my having been single again, I realize just how significant they really are to me. I always seek out my partners now by how accepting they are of their pets. Those who have no pets...well...bye bye.

Somehow Bonkers seems to be dealing with this as though it's a cold or a broken leg (as far as comparable human behavior). Glad he doesn't understand how bad it is. Or maybe he knows something I don't. I think the prayers of this community of pet lovers are being heard.
0 Replies