Please could you help with genealogy?

Donob

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 09:33 am
We have been searching for several years now but no luck on finding information from the Sudan.

DEMETRI CAROLUMBUS PETMEZAKI, was born in October 1895 in Ephesus, Asia Minor (now Turkey).
Demetri had two brothers; Kosti (Constantine) who was two years older than Demetri and Spiro who was two years younger. No other family names are known.

In 1912, he set up his first company DEM PETMEZAKI & CO in Omdurman, not far from Khartoum & exported to London and Hamburg.

Around 1934, he was living in the U.K.
In 1938 Demetri was living in Kano, Nigeria.
By 1939 living in Abeche in Chad.
In 1942 he returned to the Sudan. No information has been found on him or either of his brothers since.

Any info or advice would be so very much appreciated.
Sincere thanks,
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,051 • Replies: 3
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 08:16 pm
Donob, we have a handful of people on this site who can point you in the right direction, but this site itself isn't an engine for geneology. Where have you looked so far?

I will post now to try and bump you question back to the top of the list.
0 Replies

Donob

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 11:24 am
Greeks in Africa
Donob, we have a handful of people on this site who can point you in the right direction, but this site itself isn't an engine for geneology. Where have you looked so far?

I will post now to try and bump you question back to the top of the list.

Hello littlek, sorry if I'm doing this wrong, I'm not sure what I'm doing but I hope this (post a reply) is an acceptable way to thank you.

As for the genealogy, we have been searching off & on for nearly ten years. Every genealogy site, world phone books, in the hopes of finding the name. Church records, school records, really just about everything anyone has suggested. Our main problem is getting any information from the Sudan. An advertisement in the leading newspaper in the Sudan, asking for any information on the Petmezaki's has failed to unearth anything significant. Writing to old addresses in Africa as well as the Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Khartoum have received no response. We then wrote to Greek Orthodox organizations around the world to try to trace any records from Africa.

The greatest wish for Demetri's only son, now in his 70's, is just to find out what happened to his father. The children, grandchildren & great-grandchildren have for years longed for a conclusion to this amazing man's story. Any information or advice would be so very much appreciated. Thanks again for your help.

Nobie
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 05:18 pm
Re: Greeks in Africa
Donob wrote:

Hello littlek, sorry if I'm doing this wrong, I'm not sure what I'm doing but I hope this (post a reply) is an acceptable way to thank you.

As for the genealogy, we have been searching off & on for nearly ten years. Every genealogy site, world phone books, in the hopes of finding the name. Church records, school records, really just about everything anyone has suggested. Our main problem is getting any information from the Sudan. An advertisement in the leading newspaper in the Sudan, asking for any information on the Petmezaki's has failed to unearth anything significant. Writing to old addresses in Africa as well as the Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Khartoum have received no response. We then wrote to Greek Orthodox organizations around the world to try to trace any records from Africa.

The greatest wish for Demetri's only son, now in his 70's, is just to find out what happened to his father. The children, grandchildren & great-grandchildren have for years longed for a conclusion to this amazing man's story. Any information or advice would be so very much appreciated. Thanks again for your help.

Nobie

Wow, seems like you've done a huge amount of work! I hope that you can figure this out for Demitri's family. I wish I could help you.....
0 Replies