croatia

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 09:05 am
czech and slovak are close, yet distant enough that you are not just born with written proficiency. i don't mean that i can get by speaking slovak and uderstanding czech. i mean that i know czech grammar and vocabulary in and out, and i studied it for a long time. that's a difference. otherwise i could claim also serbian, slovenian, as well, which i don't.
and russian? hello? russian is entirely different, i had to learn it just like any other foreign language, including a different alphabet. it is not close enough, we don't understand russian the same way we understand, say, polish, or even serbian.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 01:29 pm
BANZAI wrote:
how many languages do Jou SPEAK ?????????? i speak 7 languages, ha Jou never hear for eny anther languages expect only english. ha the ALL WORLD do not speak english. for me, english is language of conquer nation. do jou speak maybe russian, or maybe jappanesse ?????????

I speak English, French and Korean. I read English and French, and with the same proficiency. Korean--which i learned more than 30 years ago--being an alphabetic language, was sufficiently comprehensible for me to read the signs in a bus or train station, and to understand simple conversations which allowed me to get around, get lodging, meals, etc. I no loner really speak Korean, because i don't use it, and haven't for 30 years.

I understand most simple sentences spoken to me in Spanish, but don't purport to speak it, simply because i recognize verb forms and so much of the vocabulary.

Whether or not i were able to "speak" seven languages (and we have no evidence that you do, simply your contention to that effect), i would listen to and take heed of any native speaker of a language who tells me that i have made a fundamental error in that language. For example, i have translated things from French to English here, and sometimes i have been told by Francis (a member of ours from Paris) that i'd done a good job, and other times, that there were idioms which i failed to understand. I pay attention when he corrects my translations.

You, however, continue to use "jou," and other idiocies, rather than pay attention to native speakers who are attempting to help you. Since you have arrived at this site, you've been nothing but combative. You ask questions about history, and when you get an answer, you argue with the person providing the answer, and often when it is, or ought to be, painfully obvious that you don't know what you're talking about. You might have taken the opportunity to have learned something, but i hold out no hope for that, given your past performance.

. . . ha Jou never hear for eny anther languages expect only english. That was barely comprehensible in English, as "ha" ought to have been "have," "Jou" ought to have been "you" (and not capitalized), the preposition "for" is incorrectly used in a situation in which "of" ought to have been used, "eny" is not a word in English where as "any" is, "anther" in English is a term in botany when you probably meant to use "other," and "only" is awkward and unnecessary in the sentence.

When writing in English, and referring to languages, one capitalizes them to indicate that they are languages--English, Russian, Japanese (there is only one "p" in Japanese). You can whine about English being a language of a conqueror if you like (if that is what your butchered attempt at English meant to suggest), but that won't change the fact that you have come to a site at which English is the language in which one communicates, other than in foreign language threads which are so identified.

You might have used this site as an opportunity to learn, and to improve your usage. Instead, you provide just more evidence of an ignorance in which you revel, and a snottiness which will one day soon assure that no one responds to you any longer. I know i'm done putting up with your childish ****. Bye, don't bother to write.
0 Replies

BANZAI

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 09:01 am
Setanta, for the first time I read all your tekst that you wrote. I some part of your tekst, you are spread oneself. In one part, you indirectly called me idiot or some stuped Balkan people. You are trying to help me with my english called me stuped, bravo.

"Since you have arrived at this site, you've been nothing but combative. You ask questions about history, and when you get an answer, you argue with the person providing the answer, and often when it is, or ought to be, painfully obvious that you don't know what you're talking about. "

Maybe is true. But forum is for discussion. Maybe i was to hard. OK, never mind. I can change. You did not need to attack me like that.
0 Replies

BANZAI

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 09:04 am
Di si Australac, šta otišo dolje uzgajat klokane? Smile
0 Replies