The Myth About Free Salvation?

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 08:58 pm

Is salvation really free? From studying the definitions for free, One can see that in order for something to be free it cannot have any attachments, commitments or obligations. Or it cannot be united with, attached to, combined with, or mixed with something else. So question:

If One has to confess Jesus Christ as a prerequisite for salvation, then how is it, that for all of these years, the pundits have been deceiving people by incorrectly labeling Salvation as free? Free means that you don't have to do anything to obtain it. So if you have to confess Christ to receive salvation, then you are trading your confession for salvation. This automatically makes salvation earned. So either Salvation is free or it is not? Any comments?

Definition (Merriam Webster)
Free: (adj) 2 a : not determined by anything beyond its own nature or being 5 a : having no obligations (as to work) or commitments *I'll be free this evening* b : not taken up with commitments or obligations *a free evening* 6 : having a scope not restricted by qualification *a free variable*10 : not costing or charging anything 11 a (1) : not united with, attached to, combined with, or mixed with something else : SEPARATE *free ores* *a free surface of a bodily part* (2) : FREESTANDING *a free column* b : chemically uncombined *free oxygen* *free acids* c : not permanently attached but able to move about *a free electron in a metal*
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 598 • Replies: 15
No top replies

kate4christ03

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 01:03 pm
Midion one thing i have enjoyed about your topics is that they are thought provoking...... Very Happy

I understand what you are trying to say and by websters definition of free, it can be confusing...I cant seem to find a verse in the bible that says "free gift" but i know this is a common term used by christians when speaking on salvation....I can however give you the greek definition for gift as used in the new testiment....
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. romans 6:23

gift (Cavrisma) def. the gift of divine grace
the gift of faith, knowledge, holiness, virtue
the economy of divine grace, by which the pardon of sin and eternal salvation is appointed to sinners in consideration of the merits of Christ laid hold of by faith

Remember salvation is a gift bc everyone is given the opportunity...God doesn't pick whom he will bestow that gift on by certain requirements or services etc...we get it on Christs merits not ours..that is why christians may say its free.....
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:54 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:
Midion one thing i have enjoyed about your topics is that they are thought provoking...... Very Happy

I understand what you are trying to say and by websters definition of free, it can be confusing...I cant seem to find a verse in the bible that says "free gift" but i know this is a common term used by christians when speaking on salvation....I can however give you the greek definition for gift as used in the new testiment....
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. romans 6:23

the economy of divine grace, by which the pardon of sin and eternal salvation is appointed to sinners in consideration of the merits of Christ laid hold of by faith

Remember salvation is a gift bc everyone is given the opportunity...God doesn't pick whom he will bestow that gift on by certain requirements or services etc...we get it on Christs merits not ours..that is why christians may say its free.....

First off we would like to say, thank you. We would hope that sope of these topics would at least lead one to think.

Now if it is because of the opportunity, then the opportunity is free and not the salvation. For example; First, Let us say that there is a contest of speed or a race, which promises a million dollars to the winner. Now let us say that you and everyone else are allowed to enter that race without paying the entry fee. In other words the entry fee is waived. Now, let us say that we are at the conclusion of that race and you have just won the contest and a million dollars. Now, was the million dollars free or was it earned? The answer is that it was earned. You still have to run the race and you still had to exert the energy and determination to win that race.

You see people tend to mistake the opportunity which One is given to run the race (which is free) with the prize which one wins (which is not). Man's opportunity to gain Salvation is through Grace which is free. Grace is the free gift and not the reward which is Salvation. God doesn't have to allow you to enter the race for Salvation. He doesn't have to waive that entry fee. He could just allow you to die and automatically dismiss you from that race. But by his Grace he doesn't. So Grace is the opportunity which allows you the chance to obtain salvation. Without Grace you would not even be allowed in that race. Without Grace man would have been destroyed a long time ago.

Now if you look the Bible states that salvation is obtained. Therefore if it is obtained then it is not free.

Luke 20:35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:

1 Thessalonians 5:9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

2 Timothy 2:10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

Hebrews 6:15 And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise

Definitions Merriam Webster

Obtain: (vrb)
transitive verb : to gain or attain usually by planned action or effort
intransitive verb
1 archaic : SUCCEED
2 : to be generally recognized or established : PREVAIL
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:54 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:

First off we would like to say, thank you. We would hope that sope of these topics would at least lead one to think.

Now if it is because of the opportunity, then the opportunity is free and not the salvation. For example; First, Let us say that there is a contest of speed or a race, which promises a million dollars to the winner. Now let us say that you and everyone else are allowed to enter that race without paying the entry fee. In other words the entry fee is waived. Now, let us say that we are at the conclusion of that race and you have just won the contest and a million dollars. Now, was the million dollars free or was it earned? The answer is that it was earned. You still have to run the race and you still had to exert the energy and determination to win that race.

You see people tend to mistake the opportunity which One is given to run the race (which is free) with the prize which one wins (which is not). Man's opportunity to gain Salvation is through Grace which is free. Grace is the free gift and not the reward which is Salvation. God doesn't have to allow you to enter the race for Salvation. He doesn't have to waive that entry fee. He could just allow you to die and automatically dismiss you from that race. But by his Grace he doesn't. So Grace is the opportunity which allows you the chance to obtain salvation. Without Grace you would not even be allowed in that race. Without Grace man would have been destroyed a long time ago.

Now if you look the Bible states that salvation is obtained. Therefore if it is obtained then it is not free.

Luke 20:35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:

1 Thessalonians 5:9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

2 Timothy 2:10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

Hebrews 6:15 And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise

Obtain: (vrb)
transitive verb : to gain or attain usually by planned action or effort
intransitive verb
1 archaic : SUCCEED
2 : to be generally recognized or established : PREVAIL
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 04:48 pm
As soon as i started reading this a verse came to mind.

Quote:
Romans 6:17-18
17But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted. 18You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.
Quote:

We are set free from the world so we can be a slave to god. Pretty disturbing thuaght to me.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 05:01 pm
Midion Not trying to be rude but did you read a thing i said........I said that nowhere in the bible (that ive found) does it say salvation is a free gift...that is a phrase coined by some christians..but the bible does specifically says that salvation is a gift from God..i gave that verse in my previous post...and the bible also says that its Grace through faith that saves (not works)...what these two verses are saying is that its by Christ's merits we are offered the gift of salvation...Now I dont believe that we just walk around and one day God slaps us on the head and says "your saved"...we do have to do something to be saved we have to accept the gift that God is offering.......and by accepting that we have to repent and believe.......for instance i offer you a brand new car....that is a gift but its not truly yours unless you accept that gift and get the tags and title......until then it sits in my garage waiting upon you......
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 05:28 pm
EpiNirvana wrote
Quote:
We are set free from the world so we can be a slave to god. Pretty disturbing thuaght to me

not if its by choice :wink:
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 05:42 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:
Midion Not trying to be rude but did you read a thing i said........I said that nowhere in the bible (that ive found) does it say salvation is a free gift...that is a phrase coined by some christians..but the bible does specifically says that salvation is a gift from God..i gave that verse in my previous post...and the bible also says that its Grace through faith that saves (not works)...what these two verses are saying is that its by Christ's merits we are offered the gift of salvation...Now I dont believe that we just walk around and one day God slaps us on the head and says "your saved"...we do have to do something to be saved we have to accept the gift that God is offering.......and by accepting that we have to repent and believe.......for instance i offer you a brand new car....that is a gift but its not truly yours unless you accept that gift and get the tags and title......until then it sits in my garage waiting upon you......

Yes but if you offer us that brand new car and tell us that in order to accept that car we must confess that you are the greatest person in the world, then it is no longer free. This is because by setting forth that condition, the car is no longer free. It now becomes attached to a condition. Free means that all that One has to do to recieve the gift is be or exist. So if we make that confession we have then fulfilled that condition which you requested and we can then take the car.

So, if Salvation is truly free, then One doesn't have to confess Jesus as Lord and Savior in order to recieve it. All that One has to do is exist. The foundation of Grace is free. You don't have to do anything but occupy a body in this physical world and it is yours.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 06:19 pm
MIDION nowhere does it say free ........its called a gift.....and if i give you a car with the stipulation that you have to get a tag and title its still a gift.....

and the foundation of Gods grace is his love...but we can still reject that love and that grace..........
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:21 am
EpiNirvana wrote:

Quote:
17But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted. 18You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

We are set free from the world so we can be a slave to god. Pretty disturbing thuaght to me.

Servant is the word used there. There is a difference between a servant and a slave. Slavery is bondage. Ownership by someone to do their will without choice or compensation. Servants however serve of their free will. Not because they are made to, but because they choose to. They are compensated for their services, and are free to leave at any time.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 09:41 am
I am not sure where you got the term... free salvation. However, I am assuming you may be referring to something out of Romans.

i.e.
Romans 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

The "free gift of grace" IS free. All that is required is that it be accepted.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 08:36 pm
EpiNirvana wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

That is a complete mistranslation.

Here is the correct translation.

Rom 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
Rom 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

It is not slave.
The word is SERVANT.
Big Difference there.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:56 pm
Scott777ab wrote:

Rom 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
Rom 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

It is not slave.
The word is SERVANT.
Big Difference there.

You kinda-sorta almost do have a point there, in a way ... however, whether one takes the Koine Greek (in which Paul originally was written) "doulos" or the Hebrew "ebed", the word does not translate either to "slave", at least in the contemporarily understood sense of that word, nor to "servant", a word no less remote from an accurate translation, but more correctly to one who has been taken captive and sold for a price into bondservice to another, or one who has sold that oneself for a price into bondservice to another. The concept is quite distinct from one who is "free" or "unbound", clearly connotating a condition or state of being most closely approximating "chattel", which specific word would be in fact a far more accurate translation than either "slave" or "servant".

I'll reserve comment on any qualitative assessment regarding "salvation" in the Christian religionist sense; one way or the other, it is most likely one sees nothing there to question.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 11:29 pm
Scott777ab wrote:
EpiNirvana wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

It is not slave.
The word is SERVANT.
Big Difference there.

I just pulled that out of the NIV, it says slave. Obviously they mean servant but still.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 01:55 am
Re: The Myth About Free Salvation?
Mindonfire wrote:

Is salvation really free? From studying the definitions for free, One can see that in order for something to be free it cannot have any attachments, commitments or obligations. Or it cannot be united with, attached to, combined with, or mixed with something else. So question:

If One has to confess Jesus Christ as a prerequisite for salvation, then how is it, that for all of these years, the pundits have been deceiving people by incorrectly labeling Salvation as free? Free means that you don't have to do anything to obtain it. So if you have to confess Christ to receive salvation, then you are trading your confession for salvation. This automatically makes salvation earned. So either Salvation is free or it is not? Any comments?

Free: (adj) 2 a : not determined by anything beyond its own nature or being 5 a : having no obligations (as to work) or commitments *I'll be free this evening* b : not taken up with commitments or obligations *a free evening* 6 : having a scope not restricted by qualification *a free variable*10 : not costing or charging anything 11 a (1) : not united with, attached to, combined with, or mixed with something else : SEPARATE *free ores* *a free surface of a bodily part* (2) : FREESTANDING *a free column* b : chemically uncombined *free oxygen* *free acids* c : not permanently attached but able to move about *a free electron in a metal*

If I live down the street and I tell you I am going to give you my car, its free, come and get it ......... does the fact that you must walk down the street make it not free in your mind? A pretty tight definition of free, if you ask me, and you did.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 03:07 pm
Re: The Myth About Free Salvation?
real life wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:

If I live down the street and I tell you I am going to give you my car, its free, come and get it ......... does the fact that you must walk down the street make it not free in your mind? A pretty tight definition of free, if you ask me, and you did.

Once again salvation is not free. Grace is free. The opportunity to obtain salvation is free. Salvation is a reward which one recieves for enduring in the test of life. You obtain salvation through effort. Ask Noah if his salvation is free. He had to build the ark for the saving of his family.

In order for something to be free then all you have to do to recieve it is exist. Grace is free because it is the foundation that is given to everyone that is born. In order to recieve grace all One has to do is exist. If you are alive, you are alive because of God's Grace.

Here are those things that you will have to do to earn Salvation. And since you have to do them before gaining Salvation, then Salvation is not free.

1. Strive

2 Timothy 2:5 And if a man also strive for masteries, [yet] is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.

Luke 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

1 Corinthians 9:25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they [do it] to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

Strive (vrb) 1 : to devote serious effort or energy : ENDEAVOR *strive to finish a project*
2 : to struggle in opposition : CONTENDsynonyms see ATTEMPT

2. Endure

Matthew 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all [men] for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

James 1:12 Blessed [is] the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

Hebrews 6:15 And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise.

Endure: (vrb) transitive verb
1 : to undergo (as a hardship) especially without giving in : SUFFER *endured great pain* 2 : to regard with acceptance or tolerance *could not endure noisy children* intransitive verb 1 : to continue in the same state : LAST *the style endured for centuries* 2 : to remain firm under suffering or misfortune without yielding *though it is difficult, we must endure* synonyms see BEAR, CONTINUE

Isaiah 62:11 Behold, the LORD hath proclaimed unto the end of the world, Say ye to the daughter of Zion, Behold, thy salvation cometh; behold, his reward [is] with him, and his work before him.
0 Replies