[answered] How does A2K determine...?

NickFun

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 04:13 pm
...which bad words are OK to publish whereas other bad words are not? For example, it;s ok to say "****", "tits" and "**********" but it's not ok to say "ass hole" (that's ass with a hole attached). Isn't calling someone a ********** actually worse than calling them an asshole?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,876 • Replies: 49
No top replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 04:27 pm
...bastard and wanker are permitted, but not twat?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 04:29 pm
Indeed Smorgs. We should ask that words such as **** and **** be permitted as examples of free speech. Wanker is rarely used in the US and may not be considered bad.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 04:33 pm
It's not that bad really though, nick, when you think about it...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 04:42 pm
I think you raise an excellent question, NickFun.

It'll be interesting to see if you get a real answer.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 04:46 pm
That answer may have to come from Craven himself. Eveyone else simply enforces rules already in place.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 04:49 pm
I went through the contact button at the bottom of the page when I wanted to know why a word was ******.

Seems to me there was no 'everyone else' involved. It's a piece of software that picks out the no-go words.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 04:57 pm
ehBeth is right, of course, but it's some humans (aided by hamsters) who wrote and installed that software. Let me share some insider information with you. When the site was first set up, there was much discussion as to what words shood be "bleeped." If we bleeped 'tits' for example, then it would be impossible for a poster to use the innocuous expression 'tit for tat' and astersking that out wuld make site seem Puritanically silly. The same goes for "son of a bitch." On Abuzz, a female dog could not be identified by that common and, in context, quite acceptable name. There were a number of others of like provenance. With apologies to Snood, the word "nigger" could not be excised because then no poster in the Books Forum could make a reference to Joseph Conrad's classic The Nigger of the Narcissus.

Some words, however, are so obviously offensive that they appear in no other context except the vulgar. These get "bleeped."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 05:00 pm
and my dad and I managed to get very similar words bleeped when we left out a space

s.a.l.t.w.a.t.e.r

and

h.o.t.w.a.t.e.r

I'm sure he's still puzzling over what he did Cool
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 05:36 pm
I understand that the idea is not to censor "dirty" words, but to restrain personal aggression.
Of course, you can tell someone he's a **********, but the most common used words are the ones ending up in asterisks.

Does it help to say that an "asterisk" in Mexican slang is the hole one is not supposed to write about.
I remember a showman on Mexican TV critizing one of our archers at the Olympics. He was beating the Olympic champion... "and suddenly his asterisk got wrinkles". That meant the archer was "scared shitless" about his possible victory.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 05:41 pm
That's all to the good. If someone reads a string of ****, and then even more ****, he can be sure that he's been thorouhly insulted. The drawback is that he doesn't know how. Becomes alot like traffic.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 05:43 pm
Good comment...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 05:53 pm
Found this from Craven (from when it first came up):

Quote:
To make one thing clear, we have lost advertisers because of vulgarity in the past. But I thought they were wrong in the case they mentioned (it was on a thread about sex) and for the most part the expletives that regular members have used were not objectionable.

But the gratuitous use has been rising (probably because the lack of a filter suggested to some that expletives were welcome, when they have never been and are merely tolerated) and teeny boppers are joining (no offense to teens but they are more prone to gratuitous vulgarity of the type we've always prohibited). Dealing with this on a case by case basis will soon not be an option.

So the filter will go on soon, and hopefully the gratuitous use of vulgarity will subside. I don't mind vulgarity, but avoiding gratuitous vulgarity is essential to the viability of this site.

Just as an aside, this is a CENSORED site. I tend to mention this ad nauseum because of some common misperceptions about it. Removing SPAM is censorship, for example. All US sites are required to censor some things and having a completely uncensored site is not possible on US soil.

Quote:
Thing is, it's not specific words. What's prohibited is gratuitous use. The filter will cover specific words that are most commonly used gratuitously.

The criteria for the word filter (not what's forbidden) will be:

Frequent gratuitous use

AND

No legitimate non-expletive use

For example, roger's concern about Doo wop being censored will not be a reality. I think the list is at 5 words right now and they are selected not because they are the only objectionable ones but because they fit the above two criteria.

So the list will not be comprehensive. And it will not contain all the objectionable words.

Thing is, every expletive that exists has legitimate use and such legitimate use is allowed here. Gratuitous use (in a "we know it when we see it" definition) isn't.

To give an example, a member was banned (many times because he'd try to come back) for following female members around harassing them and referring to their bodies in a vulgar way.

A very good example was that he'd refer to their "meat curtains".

Neither word is forbidden but his use was such that he was banned.

The policy is the same, the only possible change to policy will be that no expletives will be allowed in topic titles at all (necause a cursory glance by guests at the titles could be misleading).

The policy remains that gratuitous and excessive use of vulgarity is forbidden. Legitimate uses aren't but since the case-by-case alone approach is becoming impossible technical means will supplement the continued case-by-case approach.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the policy isn't really changing, though the filter will inevitably not be able to detect context and function on a case by case basis.

I plan to create and implement a feature allowing each member to decide whether they want the filter on or off for the text they see. That would afford greater flexibility.

Those are just two somewhat randomly selected quotes from this thread that covers the subject more thoroughly:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15717
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 06:00 pm
After having been insulted in Spanish (mexican Spanish, not spanish Spanish), nothing said to or against me in English can have any effect.
But, I would like to think that Fbaezer is right: the purpose is not censorship as such but the dampening of aggression. We don't need moral purity, but we do need some measure of civility for A2K to function well.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 06:12 pm
In my own experience, obcenities flung in a temper are not the most inhibiting reactions in a discussion.

Far too often people with a deep emotional attatchment to their opinion understand attacks on the logic or coherency of their argument as attacks on their person.

This happens often in debates on religious topics.

In these cases it is not civility that is lacking. I think the missing ingredient is patience; the patience to listen and understand the objection before attempting to show how outrageous it is. Sometimes, when we feel strongly about something it is easy to lose our wits after all.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 07:45 pm
Oh, my word. I could say * and get it bleeped to *? What a world. Actually, I did say that by saying something or other, someone unknowingly put her little *.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 07:56 pm
what are meat curtains?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 08:01 pm
The world is a stage...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 04:32 am
ehBeth wrote:
I went through the contact button at the bottom of the page when I wanted to know why a word was ******.

Seems to me there was no 'everyone else' involved. It's a piece of software that picks out the no-go words.

Yep. Smile

Some words are automatically filtered because of advertisers. The new site will be a lot more customizable -- if you want to see those words, you can. If you don't want to, you don't have to.

Meanwhile, since we want to remain solvent, the word filter system is what we've got.

As ehBeth says, it's a software thing. If you have suggestions for what words you think should be in the filter, send 'em to the Help Desk. Generally we've tried for putting as few words in the filter as is feasible.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 04:40 am
Im surprised the above written words are allowed!Not that Im a prude of nothing.

I work on a computer call desk which has areas named for each call.
One place name is Scunthorpe but it has to be written differently due to the order of letters in the word!
0 Replies