How very delicate.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 05:07 pm
Arrow 2 Cents
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 05:38 pm
I've always been cheap Ed. I'm not one who goes in for fancy prices. Money doesn't mean a thing to me. It's not a "deal".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:11 pm
Keep digging.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:43 pm
I don't see how evolutionary theory implies a completely secular society. But I do see how active suppression of information that contradicts religious doctrine can be construed to be a step in the direction of theocracy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:26 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Arrow 2 Cents

Refers to my 2 cents worth (opinion).
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:14 pm
JLNobody wrote:
I don't see how evolutionary theory implies a completely secular society. But I do see how active suppression of information that contradicts religious doctrine can be construed to be a step in the direction of theocracy.

Quite right.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:19 pm
spendius wrote:
parados wrote-

Quote:
You have managed to make edgar's statement almost prescient concerning anything else you would post here.

Ed's statement meant nothing except maybe that he was grumpy this morning. But how one might be "almost prescient" must be a bit like almost smelling a rat.
Maybe you should diagram my sentence before you criticize it. Or are you just back from the pub?

Quote:
I think, with the context-

Quote:
Which truth is that Ed?

How about a world of exclusive evolutionism being unworkable.

the second sentence is obviously a question but it would have been better with the ? I agree.

An obvious question has a question mark after it. I can't read your mind. I can only read your fractured attempts at prose.

Quote:
To read it otherwise seems stretching it. It was a bad typo.
To read it otherwise? You are always telling us about your fantastic command of the English language and how much you know of the great writers. It is reasonable to expect that someone with that knowledge would know the difference between a statement and a question when writing. How am I supposed to know you can't write clearly?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 09:11 pm
Slap him down again maw
Make him tell us where he's been
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 08:28 am
No chance Ed. It would set too many tender hearts all a-flutter.

Okay parados. I missed the ?. If everybody got everything right there would be no need for proof-reading.

Do you shout at other motorists every time they make a minor mistake?

Some people think that those who do that are simply looking for excuses to give their pent-up rage a bit of exercise.

I spotted the omission myself and tried to edit but I was too late but I still assumed most readers would know it was a question in the context.

Quote:
Which truth is that Ed?

How about a world of exclusive evolutionism being unworkable.

Try saying it as a conversation in a pub with the inflections of dilute sarcasm built in as they obviously are.

This is a conversation after all.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 05:00 am
If we caved just because people suspected the truth would alter society, fundamentalism would carry the day, worldwide, and reasonable people would be relegated to the trash heap.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 05:06 am
Anyone who thinks reason is more potent that emotion might be said to be ignoring the objective evidence for some purpose of their own and thus deserving of that fate.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 05:10 am
Reason must be clung to. Nobody can do it for you. I am well aware of how emotionalism is allowed to trump reason all too often. To say it's all right, simply because it furthers one's anti evolution bias, id to join their ranks.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 05:29 am
I'm not anti-evolution Ed.

And I don't think it is right for emotion to be more potent than reason. It is just a fact of human nature. Right and wrong don't come into it. Both concepts, interdependent as they are, are emotional and it might be argued, indeed has been argued, that they are unreasonable.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 05:19 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
JLNobody wrote:

Quite right.

Indeed.

Well said, JL.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 08:24 am
Re: Kenya bishop leads anti-evolution fight
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Quote:
Kenya bishop leads anti-evolution fight

The world's most important collection of human fossils may soon be hidden from public view - if religious leaders get their way.
In a move that has stunned scientists, senior clergy have demanded that the bones and skulls currently exhibited in Nairobi's National Museum of Kenya be removed from display to prevent young Africans from being corrupted.
Source

I'll say this.... I know of at least one place I could feel good about going if the stinkin de-moKKKer-rats ever win another presidential election here. I figure I'm good enough with archery equipment that the Masai will probably take me, despite being the wrong color.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 08:30 am
Was that the same bishop that tried to demonstrate walking on water? if not, i suggest that should be precisely his next undertaking.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 08:35 am
Im sorry I missed this, its a real hoot.
Lets hide the evidence so we may remain innocent. The we preach the "truth" of Gods word.

Works for me.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 08:50 am
farmerman wrote:
Im sorry I missed this, its a real hoot.
Lets hide the evidence so we may remain innocent. The we preach the "truth" of Gods word.

Works for me.
The really sad thing is they have no idea how ridiculous they look...reinforcing all stereotypes about black bishops.
0 Replies