Is it ever okay to "pull rank"?

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 07:56 pm
Mo started school today and I got a list of volunteer opportunities. I'm supposed to check the thing(s) that I feel I would be most willing to do/best at.

One of the items is called "Yearbook" and it consists of photographing children at school events and helping design the yearbook.

I'm sure it is considered a pretty plum gig.

But modesty aside, I've been a professional portrait photographer for 20 years and now specialize in children's portraits.

Would it be inappropriate for such a newbie at school to list her credentials and perhaps attach a business card or simply link her website of children's portraits?

I don't want to step on anyone's toes but ..... you know.... this is what I'm good at. I could probably save them a fortune in photo and design fees.

But I don't want to be a major bitch.

Tell me teachers, what do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,922 • Replies: 20
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:00 pm
I don't think it's pulling rank. It's informative and pertinent.

With teacher hat on, I'd be fine with it -- appreciative in fact. (Get a pro photographer for free!)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:12 pm
So you think it would be okay if I checked it off, mentioned that this is what I do professionally, and link my web site?

Should I mention my truckload of equipment?

I don't want to sign up for "in class" stuff for Mo's class because I need him to separate a bit. There are a couple of other "maybe" type things on the list but this is really my forte.

But like I said, I don't want to step on toes. Many of these people are potential clients and I don't want to invite criticism for anything other than my style.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:16 pm
Schools are desperate for help! If you are willing to do the work voluntarily, I imagine that they will be thrilled to have you. Give them all the details including the link and the equipment info.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:16 pm
At UT, there was a goign away party for a teacher that I did just what you are talking about.

Though, I didnt give out cards, I did email the director and said directly- I have my own camera , and am a paid photographer-

showed her my pictures/site

and said, -If you want me to do it, (take the pictures for the newsletter) just let me know, and I will be there.

Of course, I dont have many years experience, just good luck at picture taking but she didnt need to know that. Wink

i got the gig.. Cool
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:51 pm
IMO, the school should get the best volunteers that they can get. The children are deserving of this. If that means you provide professional credentials while offering your services for free, then so be it.

It would be a shame that someone who is not really very good get the volunteer job when you could be providing a valuable service.

I volunteer for my church as a photographer, website media rep, financial reconciliation, database records, lead Sunday School teacher and a couple other things. The reason that they use me for these things is simply because I am the best available for the duties. I say this in all humility and am not tooting my own horn by any means. It is a simple fact and everybody benefits from it.

I say provide your credentials and give them your best. I do not, however, see any benefit in providing a list of your equipment.

Good luck.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 09:29 pm
I doubt that Canadian schools are much different than U.S. schools. They will LOVE you, Boomerang, and your credentials.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 09:33 pm
I agree with the others, they'll love to work with you, boomerang.

When I look at all the school pictures my daughter brings home every year,
I wish we would have a boomerang here too <sigh>
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:02 am
Definitely go for it. With your talents, you'll not only be helping out but you will be able to showcase everyone's year the best. Come on...what parent doesn't want great pictures of their kid? Very Happy
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:05 am
I hope the twitchy eye doesn't scare the kids, though.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:14 am
You have a skill they can use,Im sure they are glad to have you on board, you may as well get something out of it too.Im sure the parent will be glad of the information.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:57 am
I don't understand your question? How is it pulling rank when they're asking for volunteers and you're volunteering? Are you concerned that once you get the gig, they will interfere and want to 'get involved' and you'll then be forced to pull rank? That can get kinda dicey, especially if you're not very diplomatic or have control issues.

I have a friend who's newly involved with a political candidate. She's handling the candidate's PR and Marketing and my friend is very good at what she does but she's a control freak who deeply resents suggestions and criticism from anyone, especially those outside or with less experience than she. I shudder to think what it must be like for the rest of the candidate's staff to work with her and can only imagine the enemies she's garnering with her lack of diplomacy and know-it-all attitude.

If you know in your heart that you will be resentful of outside interference than maybe it's best not to volunteer. Especially working around someone elses' children. Everybody knows better than you when it comes to their child.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 08:15 am
The pulling rank part had me confused too.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 08:15 am
That's not it at all, eoe!

As a hired hand I deal with outside interference on a daily basis.

I just think this is probably the volunteer job that most people want. By "pulling rank" I meant only that I probably have more credentials and experience than many others. I guess I just envision them saying "oh we have enough volunteers for that already. Maybe you could...."

There are a few other things I could do but, like I said, I want to try to avoid direct classroom involvement simply so that Mo has the opportunity to un-cling a bit.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 08:18 am
Having more credentials is not pulling rank. It is bringing the best to the "job" that they can get.

However, despite the credentials, they may for reasons unknown give the "job" to somebody else. If you really want to help, you would then volunteer in another capacity. Perhaps in a position that somebody else would be better qualified for. It all works out in the end.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 08:20 am
Right.

The only way I'd see it as "pulling rank" is if you provide all of that information, they still choose someone else, and THEN you storm in and say, "OK, I'm not sure you understand, I do this PROFESSIONALLY. I'd be saving you thousands of dollars. And you wants some amateur to do this? What are you thinking?"

Which I couldn't imagine you doing in a million years.

Provide the information, it's useful for them.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 08:58 am
Just make sure that you're clear in your communications that you are willing to volunteer this service and are not looking for compensation. Attatching your business card without explanation might send the wrong single.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 09:02 am
eoe wrote:
Everybody knows better than you when it comes to their child.

I meant that facetiously, of course. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 11:22 am
"Plum job"? Maybe.

I wouldn't mind writing captions, but if I were sentenced to hard labor at the Elementary School Yearbook, I'd feel very hard done by.

Volunteer, by all means. Don't feel guilty that you might be able to make some professional connections. If they didn't need someone, they wouldn't have asked.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 11:29 am
Noddy24 wrote:
"Plum job"? Maybe.

I wouldn't mind writing captions, but if I were sentenced to hard labor at the Elementary School Yearbook, I'd feel very hard done by.

I was thinking the same thing Noddy...It's a plum job for you boomy, cause it's what you love.

Who knows? Maybe they have a hard time filling that spot.
0 Replies