will DUI conviction prevent immigration to Chile/Argentina??

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:05 am
For over 10 years, I've seriously considered immigrating to Chile or Argentina. I'm a professional investor in California and I have plenty of money with which to buy property there.

Unfortunately, I recently acquired a DUI conviction. I screwed up big time. It is a class B misdemeanor, which isn't terribly serious and these tend to be pretty common, but it IS a criminal conviction. Bottom line is, I have a criminal record. No big deal, except that I notice that immigrants to Chile and Argentina require a "police certificate" verifying that they have no police record. Obviously, a DUI is something I need to (have to) disclose.

My question is, how seriously would the South American authorities view a DUI, which to be fair is not a crime involving any sort of moral turpitude or criminal intent? And, is a DUI sufficient to prevent immigration to Chile or Argentina?

I would be grateful for feedback.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,436 • Replies: 0
No top replies