ESA Mars Express

Equus

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 08:45 am
Why did the European Space Agency launch the "Mars Express" probe in a Russian Soyuz rocket from Baikonur? Why didn't they launch it on an Ariane rocket from the ESA pad in French Guiana?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 938 • Replies: 4
No top replies

fishin

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 09:13 am
The Soyuz rocket is a modified Soyuz that was built by Starsem. Starsem is a Euro-Russian consortium owned jointly by Arianne, Aerospatiale and TsSKB Samara.

If I heard corretly the 1st two stages of the Mars Express Launch rocket are true Soyuz, the 3rd stage is Arianne and the 4th stage was built by CASA of Spain.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 09:23 am
I was reading a thread at an Irish webs site last night about this project, and there are some links there which might interest those who want to know something of the Beagle mission:

P45 Mars Mission thread[/color]

I thought it easier to post a link to the thread, rather than bring all the links over here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 10:09 am
Here's a link to another interesting thread at the same site:

CoolBritannia's thread[/color]

She tends to natter on after the first post, but that first post has an interesting story to tell . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 10:20 am
Some questions are answered, perhaps, on the ESA-website:
ESA - Mars Express
0 Replies