PARLIAMENTARY INQUIRY

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 06:50 pm
Mr. Blair may well have his day in court before the Congress gets rolling with their inquiry:

BBC_News wrote:
An influential group of MPs is set to scrutinise the government's decision to go to war with Iraq.

In particular it will focus on the way intelligence information over Iraq's weapons of mass destruction (WMD) was presented by Tony Blair's administration.

The announcement by the Foreign Affairs Select committee will add to the pressure on Number 10 which is facing questions as to why coalition forces have failed to find WMD in Iraq.

BBC News article can be found here

Labour are already crying foul:

The_Times wrote:
Ministers accuse agents of fuelling the crisis over Iraqi arms

ROGUE elements within the intelligence services are using the row over weapons of mass destruction to undermine the Government, senior Cabinet ministers claimed last night.

The Times article can be found here[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,064 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 07:20 pm
I think the Brits will complete their investigation much sooner than the US's against the GWBush white house. c.i.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 07:14 am
And in the process of the investigation CI, the various parties will massage the facts, numbers and deeds so that they shine and gleam like a brand new £1 coin. Thus they will reflect their glory honesty and are squeaky clean.
Cleanliness is next to Godliness, no matter the cost of the soap.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 08:18 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
I think the Brits will complete their investigation much sooner than the US's against the GWBush white house. c.i.

My guess is we all had better be satisfied with what the British discover about what went on over there -- and merely use it to infer about what happened here.

We ain't gonna get anything approaching a real hearing on this thing. The Republicans in congress are disinclined to do it; and the Democrats don't seem to have any idea of what they want to do.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 10:27 am
I've seen quite a bit on the internet (parliamentary tv).

A summary is to be found here
BBC link
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 11:14 am
I heard Blair on the radio this morning, practically hysterical in defending himself, sort of, against the charge. Implication was: "Would people be happier if WMDs had been used against our forces?!?! I'm proud of our troops!!!"

Sort of what Bush would say, but a lot more impassioned. Though not at all a defense against what's being charged!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 03:11 pm
Funny how all thinking is supposed to stop as soon as troops are mentioned - as if critiquing the war was being mean to them, or something.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 03:22 pm
Ah but these politicians are such sensitive people.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 03:57 pm
For some reason, Kipling comes to mind here . . .

It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and Tommy go away,
But it's 'Thin Red Line of Heroes,' when the bands begin to play . . ."
0 Replies