May I vent? Thank you.

Bawb

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 09:09 pm
EDIT (Moderator): Moved from General to Teaching

So we got a new band director this year. He's really cool, he likes Rush, Marillion, Tool, etc..

90% of our band is made up of wannabe thugs. They show the new band director no respect whatsoever. In the stands last friday night, after we did the half-time show, these kids were playing without him even telling them too! He would tell them to stop, and they would just ignore him. It was embarassing.

Later, after we stopped playing for one quarter, I saw him crying behind one of the schoolbuses. I feel so sorry for him.Crying or Very sad

He is so cool, he came to eat at the church tonight just because one or two kids wanted him to! He doesn't even live here, so he has a long drive their and back. I feel so sorry for this guy.

I think I'll tell him tommorow how much I appreciate what he is doing, that should help.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,219 • Replies: 13
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 09:18 pm
Yeah, a kind word is always appreciated.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 09:26 pm
The best thing for a teacher to know is that they are appreciated. He does have to learn to command respect from the tough kids, it's part of being able to do his job. Your efforts might make him feel that the job is worth fighting for.
0 Replies

yellowlab

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 09:30 pm
Ugghh! This poor guy!

Schools all over the nation are facing problems of disrepectful children. Does your school have a PTA? Some one needs to address this problem.

This is wrong and reflects the lack of parenting skills with parents. It got so bad last year in my District, that our Superintendent & Trustees formed a "Parent University". Can you imagine having to go to school to learn how to be a parent?

You are one of those rare parents who understand what teachers need. You are a very compassionate person and I wish more parents were like you!

Kudos to you!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 09:33 pm
I think Bawb is teenager Yellowlab, but a mature one.
0 Replies

Bawb

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 09:39 pm
yellowlab wrote:
Ugghh! This poor guy!

Schools all over the nation are facing problems of disrepectful children. Does your school have a PTA? Some one needs to address this problem.

This is wrong and reflects the lack of parenting skills with parents. It got so bad last year in my District, that our Superintendent & Trustees formed a "Parent University". Can you imagine having to go to school to learn how to be a parent?

You are one of those rare parents who understand what teachers need. You are a very compassionate person and I wish more parents were like you!

Kudos to you!

We have a PTA, but I've never really known what it/they do(es). And, as Green Witch said, I'm just a teenager. Smile
0 Replies

yellowlab

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 09:45 pm
Ooops. GreenW. was right. I read the message and immediately thought of my experiences with kids and high schools.

You are a teen. Good luck. You are right to be a friend to your teacher. Tell your Principal, your mom, someone at the school to help this wonderful teacher.

Reach out at home and within your town with this horrible situation.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 10:11 pm
Thing for him to do, seems to me, is to kick the ringleaders (there will only be one or two, usually) clean outta the band, and impose tight restrictions on the remaining group - with something like a "2 strikes & you're out" rule.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 02:34 am
He also needs some support from some of the more established folk who work with him. It's tough if you're left feeling isolated in a situation like this. Awful, in fact. Poor man. Sad
0 Replies

Bawb

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 10:43 pm
So I'm in a very good mood now.

I went to talk to the band director after the game today, I was going to tell him we did good tonight, and that I think hes doing a good job, but he needed to be more strict.

It turns out that about 30 more people were going to do the same thing. So, we all went in their, and talked to him. We were very nice, and I think band will work out alot better now.

He could not hide his huge smile. Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 08:02 am
Awww, that's really wonderful.

Good for you and your 30 bandmates, Bawb. (Your name doesn't have anything to do with "Drake and Josh," does it?)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 11:03 am
Bawb--

Good for you--and good for your friends. You may have kept a good teacher from quitting the classroom forever.
0 Replies

Bawb

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 12:06 pm
sozobe wrote:
Awww, that's really wonderful.

Good for you and your 30 bandmates, Bawb. (Your name doesn't have anything to do with "Drake and Josh," does it?)

I don't know what "Drake and Josh" is, so I guess not. I just found a bit of humor in spelling Bob this way. Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 12:19 pm
"Drake and Josh" is a kid's show (supposedly for at least close to your age, but my 5-year-old likes to watch it sometimes -- it's pretty silly) that once featured a sheep named "Baaaaaaab."
0 Replies