"Did You Hear the One About Hitler?"

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 02:40 pm
Humour is a wonderful safety valve. When you're hurt, angry and helpless, telling a joke about the source of your misery makes you feel good. Some very unassuming people had incredible courage. They told 'Hitler, Goering and Goebbels jokes' in public, knowing that they could be picked up and never be seen again.
"Did You Hear the One About Hitler?"
A new book about humor under the Nazis gives some interesting insights into life in the Third Reich and breaks yet another taboo in Germany's treatment of its history. Jokes told during the era, says the author, provided the populace with a pressure release.
Hitler visits a lunatic asylum. The patients give the Hitler salute. As he passes down the line he comes across a man who isn't saluting.
"Why aren't you saluting like the others?" Hitler barks.
"Mein Führer, I'm the nurse, I'm not crazy!" comes the answer.
That joke may not be a screamer, but it was told quite openly along with many others about Hitler and his henchmen in the early years of the Third Reich, according to a new book on humor under the Nazis.
http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,434399,00.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,444 • Replies: 29
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 03:48 pm
Oh those wacky heinies! I haven't laughed so much since they invaded Poland!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 10:06 am
blacksmithn wrote:
Oh those wacky heinies! I haven't laughed so much since they invaded Poland!

Blacksmith:
Regarding your quote:
"It was said of Philip II of Spain, but it applies equally to George II of the US,
"No experience of the failure of his policy could shake his belief in its essential excellence."

How do u distinguish this from having the courage of your convictions ?

( or DO u distinguish it ? )
David
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 12:02 pm
Much the same way you distinguish failure in any other application. For instance, the policy of "privatizing" disaster relief and turning FEMA into a crony employment service. Pretty much a disaster for the Gulf Coast and people of New Orleans. Iraq? Same thing. North Korea? The same. Iran? Same. Terror? After 5 years, Bin Laden's still on the loose and the ports and borders are little protected (although thank God we can't take Sparkletts on planes anymore!). And leave us not forget that both 9/11 and New Orleans happened on his watch.

Unfortunately, for Shrub the "courage of his convictions" usually means safety and more money for the sons of wealth and privilege and death or other misadventure for other folks.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 01:27 pm
I would like to say you are wrong, blacksmithn. Really, I would.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 02:14 pm
roger wrote:
I would like to say you are wrong, blacksmithn. Really, I would.

I would also. Unfortunately, I have to agree with you.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 02:33 pm
i can contribute two jokes that i recall .

the german government proclaimed that there was no unemployment in germany .
hitler often carried his peaked cap so that it would hide his lower body part .
question : "why is hitler covering his lower body with his cap ?"
answer : "he is protecting the last german unemployed ".

the english , french and german minister of propaganda have died and are demending to be let into heaven .
st. peter asks the french minister : "how often have you lied ?"
answer : "twenty times ".
st. peter : "ok , you'll run around the milky way 20 times and come back ".
he asks the british minister : "how many times have you lied ?" .
answer : "thirty times ".
st peter : "ok , thirty times around the milky way" .
st peter : "hey , where is the little german guy ? "
the two others : " oh , he's getting his motorcycle before he is answering you ".

there were loads of those jokes being 'whispered' .
hbg
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 03:16 pm
Hitler, Goering and Goebbels have died and arrive at St. Peters gate. He tells them go cross the river so he can see how much they have lied.
Goering goes first and is to his armpits in water. He turns around and asks Hitler: "Why are you only to your ankles in the water?"
Hitler replies:"I'm standing on Goebbels' shoulders".
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 09:21 pm
i know a different version of that one :
a guy is standing in the water with the water to his knees ; he is shouting : "help , help !"
bystander : "why are you shouting ; you are not drowning ".
guy in the water : "i'm standing on my wife ". Razz
hbg
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 10:59 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
Much the same way you distinguish failure in any other application. For instance, the policy of "privatizing" disaster relief and turning FEMA into a crony employment service. Pretty much a disaster for the Gulf Coast and people of New Orleans. Iraq? Same thing. North Korea? The same. Iran? Same. Terror? After 5 years, Bin Laden's still on the loose and the ports and borders are little protected (although thank God we can't take Sparkletts on planes anymore!). And leave us not forget that both 9/11 and New Orleans happened on his watch.

Unfortunately, for Shrub the "courage of his convictions" usually means safety and more money for the sons of wealth and privilege and death or other misadventure for other folks.

Not to beat the subject to death, Blacksmith,
but let 's try the question this way:
at the beginning of the Civil War,
it was going bad for the Federal troops.
In the face of their early failures,
do u believe that Lincoln shud have accepted defeat,
and thrown in the towel ASAP ?
David
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:18 am
A. This isn't the Civil War. And it's been going on longer, in any case. How long do you have to accept failure before you can recognize it for what it is? In this case, it ain't guts, grit and determination. It's sheer stupidity, corruption and hubris. Oh yeah, and dead Americans unavenged and dead Americans coming home in body bags. Not to mention dead Americans unrescued in the Katrina damaged ruins of a once great city.

B. Ergo, Shrub is no Lincoln, no matter how hard you and others yearn for him to be thought so.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 02:18 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
A. This isn't the Civil War. And it's been going on longer, in any case. How long do you have to accept failure before you can recognize it for what it is? In this case, it ain't guts, grit and determination. It's sheer stupidity, corruption and hubris. Oh yeah, and dead Americans unavenged and dead Americans coming home in body bags. Not to mention dead Americans unrescued in the Katrina damaged ruins of a once great city.

B. Ergo, Shrub is no Lincoln, no matter how hard you and others yearn for him to be thought so.

I never yearned for that.

1. Was Lincoln stupid, corrupt n hubritic
for his failure to give up when the Civil War was going badly,
during the early part thereof, Blacksmith ?

2. Did Lincoln have any dead Americans on his hands ?
( 618,222 American deaths in battle and from disease;
is that almost as many as in Iraq ? ) Did thay have body bags
in the Civil War ?

3. Do u believe that Lincoln was rong to invade the South ?
Wud u have advised him to just forget about it ?
or to quit the war and give peace a chance ?
Enlighten me.
David
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 02:23 pm
I love it when you use those massive letters in vivid colours. It makes me just want to dive right in there and read every single word, very carefully.

Well done!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 02:24 pm
And I wondered, why you've subscribed to The Sun.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 03:58 pm
Did you hear the one about Hitler and Lincoln?

Me neither. I wonder what they're doing together on this thread. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 04:39 pm
Tico wrote:
Did you hear the one about Hitler and Lincoln?

Me neither. I wonder what they're doing together on this thread. Rolling Eyes

Read the thread again
and u 'll understand.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 05:17 pm
Your desire to find meaning in the bloody debacle that is Iraq has unhinged you. There is no parallel between Iraq and the American Civil War, except that-- through Shrub's ham-handed bungling-- we've managed to unleash a civil war there. There is similarly no parallel between Lincoln and the prideful bungler that currently occupies the Oval Office, except that they both happen to be President.

Lincoln had a civil war thrust upon him. Shrub went looking for a convenient, albeit irrelevant, whipping boy to demonstrate his manly post-9/11 resolve upon. Well, he found a target, although I fail to see how getting American soldiers killed and emboldening our enemies by sinking us deeper and deeper into a quagmire demonstrates anything at all. Beyond his personal woodenheadness, that is.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 05:27 pm
hamburger wrote:
i know a different version of that one :
a guy is standing in the water with the water to his knees ; he is shouting : "help , help !"
bystander : "why are you shouting ; you are not drowning ".
guy in the water : "i'm standing on my wife ". Razz
hbg

Yeah Ive also heard another version (yet) of that joke - involving Stalin, Lenin and.. dont remember, Mao probably; and blood. As in: why are you only up till your ankles in blood? Because I'm standing on Lenin's shoulders..
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:39 pm
who's been smearing blue paint all over my screen ?
hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:56 pm
a screamer
0 Replies