No 'God Spot' in the Human Brain

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 08:32 am
No 'God Spot' in the Human Brain
By Ker Than
LiveScience Staff Writer
posted: 29 August 2006

The human brain does not contain a single "God spot" responsible for mystical and religious experiences, a new study finds.

Instead, the sense of union with God or something greater than the self often described by those who have undergone such experiences involves the recruitment and activation of a variety brain regions normally implicated in different functions such as self-consciousness, emotion and body representation.

The finding, detailed in the current issue of Neuroscience Letters, contradicts previous suggestions by other researchers that the there might be a specific region in the brain designed for communication with God.

What it means

"The main goal of the study was to identify the neural correlates of a mystical experience," said study leader Mario Beauregard of the University of Montreal in Canada. "This does not diminish the meaning and value of such an experience, and neither does it confirm or disconfirm the existence of God."

In the study, 15 cloistered Carmelite nuns, ranging in age from 23 to 64, had their brains scanned while asked to relive the most intense mystical experience they had ever had as members of the religious order.

The nuns were not asked to try and actually achieve a state of spiritual union with God during the experiment because, as the nuns put it, "God cannot be summoned at will."

Joy and love

Nevertheless, the researchers believe their method was justified because previous studies have shown that actors asked to enter a particular state activated the same brain regions as people actually experiencing those emotions.

As a control, the nuns were instructed to relive the most intense state of union with another human ever felt in their lives while in the Carmelite order.

The study found that mystical experiences activate more than a dozen different areas of the brain at once. One of the regions, called the caudate nucleus, has been implicated in positive emotions such as happiness, romantic love and maternal love.

The researchers speculate that activation of this brain region during mystical experiences is related to the feelings of joy and unconditional love the nuns described.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,385 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 08:47 am
I fail to see the significance of this research. This will have no impact on the faithful.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 08:49 am
Intrepid wrote:
I fail to see the significance of this research. This will have no impact on the faithful.

Yeah, no kiddin' . . . faith is proof against both logic and fact . . .
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 08:50 am
Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things unseen.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 08:51 am
Intrepid, it's relevant, because it's about spirituality.

Intrepid wrote:

Faith is not the evidence of things unseen. Faith is belief in something, regardless of whether there is evidence for it or not.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 08:52 am
Faith is not evidence of anything, other than inferential evidence of the degree of credulity of the faithful . . .
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 08:56 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Intrepid, it's relevant, because it's about spirituality.

Intrepid wrote:

Faith is not the evidence of things unseen. Faith is belief in something, regardless of whether there is evidence for it or not.

Ok, Wolf. I guess you know more about faith than we can read in Hebrews.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 09:00 am
Any literate person who can find the definition of faith knows as much about faith and more than is embodied in the superstitious and laughable screed which is your scripture.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 09:37 am
So it's several regions in the brain rather than just one. The real question is how do we activate these regions, and would doing so improve the lives of most human beings?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 09:53 am
What about a 'smart spot'? It has been my observation that a great many human brains are lacking. Perhaps it is a result of the nefarious condition described in my earlier post:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1825388#1825388
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 10:33 am
Is a God spot a G-spot? Just kidding!

I have often wondered about modern man's need to interpret our ancestors' actions/buildings/objects in religious terms.

What if Stonehenge was a cattle market and not a temple? Or if the Venus of Willendorf was a sex toy and not a goddess?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 10:51 am
Plain
plainoldme wrote:
Is a God spot a G-spot? Just kidding!
I have often wondered about modern man's need to interpret our ancestors' actions/buildings/objects in religious terms.
What if Stonehenge was a cattle market and not a temple? Or if the Venus of Willendorf was a sex toy and not a goddess?

You are wickedly funny and intuitive.

BBB Laughing
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 11:23 am
What if either was both?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 11:29 am
The primary evidence that Stonehenge was a religious site is the horrendous effort and the uncompromising hard work necessary to have erected it. You only get foolishness like that from a powerful superstition such as religion being foisted onto the masses.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 05:43 pm
BBB -- Thanks! That was the nicest thing anyone said to me all week. Make that all month.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 05:44 pm
patiodog wrote:
What if either was both?

Why not both?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 04:49 pm
Humans 'hardwired for religion'
An oposing view.---BBB

Humans 'hardwired for religion'
James Randerson
Monday September 4, 2006
Guardian Unlimited

The battle by scientists against "irrational" beliefs such as creationism is ultimately futile, a leading experimental psychologist said today.
The work of Bruce Hood, a professor at Bristol University, suggests that magical and supernatural beliefs are hardwired into our brains from birth, and that religions are therefore tapping into a powerful psychological force.

"I think it is pointless to think that we can get people to abandon their belief systems because they are operating at such a fundamental level," said Prof Hood. "No amount of rational evidence is going to be taken on board to get people to abandon those ideas."

He told the annual British Association Festival of Science in Norwich that the standard bearers for evolution, such as the biologist Richard Dawkins and the philosopher Daniel Dennet, had adopted a counterproductive and "simplistic" position.

"They have basically said there are two types of people in the world," he said - "those who believe in the supernatural and those who do not. But almost everyone entertains some form of irrational beliefs even if they are not religious.

"For example, many people would be reluctant to part with a wedding ring for an identical ring because of the personal significance it holds. Conversely, many people are disgusted by an object if it has associations with 'evil'."

In his lectures, Prof Hood produces a rather boring-looking blue cardigan with large brown buttons and invites people in the audience to put it on, for a £10 reward. As you may expect, there is invariably a sea of raised hands. He then reveals that the notorious murderer Fred West wore the cardigan. Nearly everyone puts their hand down.

Unfortunately, it is just a stunt: the cardigan is not West's. But it illustrates the way even the most rational of people are can be irrationally made to feel uncomfortable.

Another experiment involves asking subjects to cut up a photograph. When his team then measures their galvanic skin response - ie sweat production, which is what lie-detector tests monitors - there is a jump in the reading. This does not occur when a person destroys an object of less sentimental significance.
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 12:18 pm
Quote:
The battle by scientists against "irrational" beliefs such as creationism is ultimately futile, a leading experimental psychologist said today.

I am evidence that the battle is not futile.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 01:44 pm
megamanXplosion wrote:
Quote:

However, the battle against absurdity is endless.
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 02:33 pm
neologist wrote:
megamanXplosion wrote:
Quote:

However, the battle against absurdity is endless.

I agree to a large extent. The main problem for this era is that logic, skepticism, and argumentation are not major parts of the educational system. In other words, the educational system currently teaches people what to think rather than how to think. My first study of logic wasn't until I was 19 years old and even then it was not for a college course but merely because I was interested in the subject. ("A Concise Introduction to Logic" is high on my favorites-list for educational books.) Skepticism flows from a study of logic. I had my first brush with the subject of argumentation, in a school setting, when I entered college. In my opinion, these things should be taught in the sixth grade or earlier. That alone would abolish most of the absurdities that ripple through our current societies.
0 Replies