Marmalade parfum with river water ... from Manchester/UK

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 01:47 am
Quote:

Splash it all over - it's scent of Irwell
DAN MCMULLAN

IT was once the dirtiest river in Europe. But now the waters of the river Irwell have been given the ultimate makeover … as the special ingredient in a new perfume.

A Manchester firm is marketing the fragrance which uses essence of Irwell as well as orange oil to create what is described as a "very distinctive" scent.

A limited edition of 200 bottles has been produced and it is hoped to have the product on sale in time for Christmas.

The perfume, called L'eau de Marmalade, has been produced by jam-making business Duerr's, which is based in Trafford Park and Wythenshawe.

Company bosses have created the fragrance to mark the 125th anniversary of the family firm.

Using orange oil from their suppliers in Seville, Spain, and a super-clean drop of water from the River Irwell, the company claims to have produced a tangy and passionate scent.

Managing director John Duerr said: "One of our orange suppliers in Seville also makes perfume oils and so we thought it would be a good idea to have a go for our 125th anniversary.

"Orange oil is used quite extensively as a scent in perfumes out in Spain and so we decided to make our own but with bitter orange as the main scent.

"It is already a popular ingredient in Spanish-made perfume so we have just bought the smell to the foreground and celebrated oranges from Seville with a drop of water from the Irwell. The perfume was made for us in Spain and we sent a couple of bottles of water out there and it was added to the perfume.

"So it's all there celebrating our ingredients and our link to the city."

John believes the unisex fragrance combines the spicy essence of cinnamon and a hint of citrus to induce the feel-good factor reminiscent of eating marmalade and will be a hit with men and women alike.

Marketing director Richard Duerr said: "We have been creating marmalade for 125 years and have always used the finest oranges from Seville.

"There has always been an association between taste and smell and L'eau de Marmalade incorporates these two senses and the fragrance really captures the smell of Seville."

The Irwell, which runs from Lancashire and is the border between Salford and Manchester, was reputedly the dirtiest river in Europe as it drove the Industrial Revolution.

And although it has been cleaned up, it remains one of the most polluted waterways in the country, with its chemical composition rated as "bad" by the Environment Agency.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 493 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 01:48 am
http://i8.tinypic.com/25kspop.jpg

http://i8.tinypic.com/25ksprk.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 01:49 am
Quote:
Does it have that sweet smell of success?
CLARISSA SATCHELL

THE Irwell perfume may be a novel idea - but what would north west people think of the fruity scent?

Dave Dunne, 38, a supervisor for ChildLine, from Hulme, thought the perfume smelt like icing sugar until we revealed its true ingredients - Spanish oranges and water from the Irwell.

He said: "It's a bit sweet, I prefer a more musky perfume personally. It does smell like marmalade actually but I'm not sure about including water from the River Irwell. I think it's just a bit of a gimmick, maybe the kind of thing you might find on sale in a tourist shop."

Salford student Jessica Pendlebury, 17, was quite impressed by L'eau de Marmalade before she discovered its ingredients. She said: "It's quite citrussy, light and refreshing, which is something I quite like in a perfume.

"I do quite like it and I wouldn't mind wearing it but I definitely wouldn't tell people that it contained water from the River Irwell." Qasim Mirza, 28, a shop manager, from Ashton, said: "It smells like marmalade but I don't like it because I don't like marmalade. It's a good idea as a gimmick but that's it." Student Fran Davies, 25, who lives in the Northern Quarter, said: "It smells a bit like lemons or Fairy Liquid. It's a bit surprising to find out it contains water from the River Irwell. River water doesn't spring to mind when you're thinking of a perfume."

Victoria Odwell and James Thelwall, both 27, and on a weekend visit from Essex, were intrigued by the fragrance.

Stockbroker James said: "It's a novelty item that might catch your attention in a shop."

Victoria, a teacher, said: "It smells too much like something you would eat rather than wear. Marmalade is just not a very sexy smell for a perfume."

(Source for all: Manchester Evening News, Saturday August 26, 2006, 1st Edition, page 3)

Duerr's homepage
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 10:23 am
Presumably they purified the water...
0 Replies