Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 12:08 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 779 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 12:31 pm
I realize your topics in Philosophy get little to no attention, but dragging a patently NON 'spirituality and religion' related topic into this forum isn't the answer. Try posting more interesting topics instead.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 01:09 pm
Doktor S wrote:
I realize your topics in Philosophy get little to no attention, but dragging a patently NON 'spirituality and religion' related topic into this forum isn't the answer. Try posting more interesting topics instead.

Ethics is not a religious matter?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 01:13 pm
coberst wrote:
Doktor S wrote:

No, ethics are a matter of philosophy.
Unless presented within the context of religion, which you have failed to do.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 03:17 pm
Doktor S wrote:
coberst wrote:
Doktor S wrote:

No, ethics are a matter of philosophy.
Unless presented within the context of religion, which you have failed to do.

How do you present ethics within the context of religion?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 04:03 pm
Ethics as relating to a certain religious outlook or dogma. Ethics in and of itself certainly isn't a matter mutually exclusive to religion.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 04:55 pm
If the fundamental guiding principle of Christianity is that we (not?) do unto others as we would (not?) have them do unto us, we have the ETHICAL task of determining how to behave toward particular others in concrete situations. This becomes, then, a religious expression of situational ethics.
It is, however, true that ethics is not essentially one with religion. Otherwise we atheists would be necessarily unethical.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 10:01 am
The Ethical Culture movement is an example of ethical studies sans belief in the divine. They do, if I am not mistaken, consider themselves a religion.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 11:25 am
coberst wrote:

You quote from Rawls and you still can ask that question? What version of A Theory of Justice did you read? I can assure you, the one with Jesus dispensing justice like wine at Cana is not the one that Rawls wrote.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 02:51 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
coberst wrote:

You quote from Rawls and you still can ask that question? What version of A Theory of Justice did you read? I can assure you, the one with Jesus dispensing justice like wine at Cana is not the one that Rawls wrote.

It does not seem to me that ethics is strictly a religious concept of strictly a rational concept. If such is true it will surprise not only me but many others, yourself excluded, of course.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 10:04 pm
To answer the question a little, I think each of us (even non-Americans) have the capacity to be either Captain..... or even both, depending on the circumstances.

Actually it would, (and probably has?), make a good film/novel, one man's gradual progression from one end of the scale to the other....in either direction.
0 Replies