Religious Radicalism OR Social Pressure

chris2a

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 04:51 am
Behind the bad news, the rise of "terrorism", the appearance of religious radicalism and the rise of social violence, is there something else at work here?

Is it really just about religion? I think there is something else behind the chaos. Overpopulation.

Family size is directly related to cultural practices. We cannot organize the family structure in the 21st Century based on 15th Century mortality rates. We simply have too many people in densely populated areas suffering from poverty, unemployment, and dwindling natural resources. Their world view is founded in hopelessness; something like a suicide bomber's world view.

I simply can't believe the problems we face today are based solely on religious precepts! It truly believe it is social pressure at its worst.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,776 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 10:29 am
Quote:

I simply can't believe the problems we face today are based solely on religious precepts!

Who exactly is trying to make that argument? All of the worlds problems rooted in religion? Even I, one of religions staunchest opponents, would never forward such a ludicrous proposition.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 10:38 am
Go back 500 years, 1,000 and 2,000 years. There have always been wars. Sometimes its religion and sometimes it's not. Wars are part of human nature. They will always be with us.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 10:50 am
xingu wrote:
Go back 500 years, 1,000 and 2,000 years. There have always been wars. Sometimes its religion and sometimes it's not. Wars are part of human nature. They will always be with us.

Granted, but go back far enough and religion seems to be the excuse for a whole lot of wars and atrocities. (Note, how I said, "excuse", and not "cause".)
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 10:58 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
xingu wrote:

Granted, but go back far enough and religion seems to be the excuse for a whole lot of wars and atrocities. (Note, how I said, "excuse", and not "cause".)

I would say cause. I would also substitute 'whole lot' for 'most'.
Never all, though.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 11:34 am
When cannon fodder is needed, which estate can be relied on to deliver the troops to the front?
0 Replies

chris2a

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 11:39 am
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

I simply can't believe the problems we face today are based solely on religious precepts!

Who exactly is trying to make that argument? All of the worlds problems rooted in religion? Even I, one of religions staunchest opponents, would never forward such a ludicrous proposition.

You are blessed with true objectivity and are immune to the current psychological influences coming at you from all directions.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 11:42 am
neologist wrote:
When cannon fodder is needed, which estate can be relied on to deliver the troops to the front?

The fourth estate--c.f., Joseph Pulitzer and the Spanish War.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 02:19 pm
Re: Religious Radicalism OR Social Pressure
chris2a wrote:
Behind the bad news, the rise of "terrorism", the appearance of religious radicalism and the rise of social violence, is there something else at work here?

Is it really just about religion? I think there is something else behind the chaos. Overpopulation.

Family size is directly related to cultural practices. We cannot organize the family structure in the 21st Century based on 15th Century mortality rates. We simply have too many people in densely populated areas suffering from poverty, unemployment, and dwindling natural resources. Their world view is founded in hopelessness; something like a suicide bomber's world view.

I simply can't believe the problems we face today are based solely on religious precepts! It truly believe it is social pressure at its worst.

Maybe this is just too obvious, but then why do areas with high population density such as large cities in Europe and America enjoy much greater prosperity, longevity, are not breeding grounds for suicide bombers, etc .....

...............while countries that have lesser population density are stuck in social and economic systems and practices that produce far less general prosperity and are known for their terrorist output?

I simply can't believe that you would put forward such an unbelievable premise.

Population? C'mon.

Liberals typically believe people are a problem. And it is showing some interesting results.

Quote:
Is the right outbreeding the left?
By Ellen Goodman, Globe Columnist | September 19, 2004

JUST THINK of all the time we wasted worrying about the culture gap, the religious gap, the class gap, and even the gender gap. Now we are told that the political future will rest in the fertility gap.

This is the latest bulletin from the demography-is-destiny crowd. The fate of red and blue America will come down to who is filling those pink and blue nurseries.

These tidings were brought to us recently by Phillip Longman, who worried in The Washington Post that liberals aren't having enough little liberals: "Conservative, religiously minded Americans are putting far more of their genes into the future than their liberal, secular counterparts."

I never knew there was a conservative gene. If so, can it be tweaked? Is that another reason to support stem cell research?

Longman went on to say, "When secular-minded Americans decide to have few, if any, children, they unwittingly give a strong evolutionary advantage to the other side of the culture divide." Imagine giving an evolutionary advantage to folks who don't believe in evolution.............

see full story at http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2004/09/19/is_the_right_outbreeding_the_left/http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2004/09/19/is_the_right_outbreeding_the_left/
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 02:48 pm
real wrote:
Maybe this is just too obvious, but then why do areas with high population density such as large cities in Europe and America enjoy much greater prosperity, longevity, are not breeding grounds for suicide bombers, etc .....

...............while countries that have lesser population density are stuck in social and economic systems and practices that produce far less general prosperity and are known for their terrorist output?

You care to rephrase that?

http://www.mapsofworld.com/images/world-map-population-density.gif
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 03:10 pm
xingu wrote:
real wrote:

You care to rephrase that?

http://www.mapsofworld.com/images/world-map-population-density.gif

No.

If you think you have a point, especially if it is specifically in reference to what I said about large cities in Europe and America, try to articulate it instead of just flashing a picture.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 03:34 pm
Well to me, it's very obvious what he's saying with that picture, if you look at it in the context of your statement, RL.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 06:21 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Well to me, it's very obvious what he's saying with that picture, if you look at it in the context of your statement, RL.

OK for you.

It's against my religion to read minds. Laughing

So which American or European city or cities is he comparing with which country, Wolf?
0 Replies

chris2a

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 11:54 pm
What about the synergy of social stresses caused by overpopulation and cultural practices? Who can predict how the two combine to alter our social behavior?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:36 am
Well, what about the synergy of stresses caused by UNDERpopulation and cultural practices?
0 Replies

chris2a

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:42 am
I think we tend to integrate more tightly as a social group (tribe) and rely on each other for survival much more when faced with underpopulation.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 04:37 am
real life wrote:
OK for you.

It's against my religion to read minds. Laughing

So which American or European city or cities is he comparing with which country, Wolf?

It's obvious what xingu was saying from the context of what he said. All you need is to use a bit of logic. If you can't figure out what he's trying to point out, then I suspect you either don't have logic or aren't using it.

You stated...

real life wrote:
Maybe this is just too obvious, but then why do areas with high population density such as large cities in Europe and America enjoy much greater prosperity, longevity, are not breeding grounds for suicide bombers, etc.....

He then posted that picture, which clearly shows Pakistan as having high density population and that's clearly a breeding ground for terrorists. Many of the "terrorists" that we caught have had some connection with Pakistan.

Also, the picture clearly shows that quite a lot of the higher population density countries are Third World and hence do not enjoy greater propserity and longevity.

Then again, I completely forgot that Americans aren't that good at geography.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 04:49 am
real life wrote:
xingu wrote:
real wrote:

Real

Do you have any idea what your talking about here. Your first sentence speaks about the high population density of cities. The second sentence is about countries. My map demonstrates to you that the population density of a country has nothing to do with their prosperity or producing terrorist.

If you look at cities in America and Europe you will find a higher concentration of crimes there than one would find in the country. Ever hear of street gangs, high murder rate, etc? You find that in the cities. Many residents believe street gangs are terrorist.

If a city is prosperous the reason may have to do with the country the city is in. But prosperous cities do not make for crime free cities. There are many cities in Europe and America that have a high crime rate.

Poverty, oppression and invasion/occupation have a lot more to do with making terrorist and insurgents than the population density of a city or country.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 09:30 am
xingu wrote:
real wrote:

Real

Do you have any idea what your talking about here. Your first sentence speaks about the high population density of cities. The second sentence is about countries. My map demonstrates to you that the population density of a country has nothing to do with their prosperity or producing terrorist.

If you look at cities in America and Europe you will find a higher concentration of crimes there than one would find in the country. Ever hear of street gangs, high murder rate, etc? You find that in the cities. Many residents believe street gangs are terrorist.

If a city is prosperous the reason may have to do with the country the city is in. But prosperous cities do not make for crime free cities. There are many cities in Europe and America that have a high crime rate.

Poverty, oppression and invasion/occupation have a lot more to do with making terrorist and insurgents than the population density of a city or country.

hi xingu,

Ordinary street crime and the modern suicide bomber/terrorist are completely different topics.

The OP was talking about radical religious terrorists, not gangbangers.

Have you run the figures for the population density of Pakistan vs the five largest cities in America, for instance?

My point was that population density and terrorism have little if any correlation.

Modern terrorists are overwhelmingly radical Muslims, that's why they are terrorists, not because they are poor. Some of them are quite well off and highly educated, at least compared with their countrymen.

Osama bin Laden is neither poor, nor oppressed, nor was his country under invasion when he planned 9/11.

You are raising issues that have little substance.

Terrorism is primarily (but not exclusively) a Muslim phenomenon; it's a declaration of war against the West. Not because we're rich, but because we're not Muslim.

Have you seen the recent pictures of Muslim demonstrations in Europe?

Muslims in European cities, enjoying probably much more prosperity and political freedom that their counterparts in Middle Eastern countries carrying messages on the placards such as "Behead those who insult Islam" and "Europe is the Cancer, Islam is the Answer", and "Freedom Go to Hell" and "Europe You will Pay, Your 9/11 in on the Way" and "Be Prepared for the real Holocaust" and "Butcher those who Mock Islam"

We're not talking pimps, dope dealers and hub cap thieves here, xing.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 09:38 am
True then. True now:

"To so many evils religion has persuaded men." - Lucretius

"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." - Jonathan Swift

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." - Pascal
0 Replies