Big rainstorm in Budapest

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 10:11 pm
Hey, nimh, are you ok??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5269642.stm

here's part of the article -

Fatal storm hits Hungary festival

The streets around the parliament were flooded
At least two people were killed and 100 injured when a sudden storm hit Hungary's capital, Budapest, as tens of thousands watched a firework display.
The two people killed were hit by a falling tree, officials said.

Hundreds panicked when the rainstorm broke and several people had to be rescued after being thrown overboard when two ships collided on the Danube.

People had gathered on the banks of the river to watch a fireworks display to mark Hungary's national day.

Torrential rain and winds of up to 100km/h (62mph) tore down trees, smashed cars and windows and ripped tiles off rooftops.

"Two people died between Margaret Bridge and the Chain Bridge as a tree fell on them," an emergency official said.

Of those also injured by the falling tree, two were taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries and two suffered serious injuries, Budapest Fire Brigade spokesman Peter Molnar said on state television.

Tens of thousands of people were watching the fireworks and a preceding air show from both sides of the Danube, which divides the capital into Buda and Pest.

Water surged through the city streets close to the river, including the area near the parliament which is on the river's banks.
end/quote
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,337 • Replies: 4
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 10:15 pm
I was just reading that! And wondering if nimh was ok.....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 08:07 am
I'm here and accounted for.. no idea it was that serious. This was me ->

------------------------------

Sunday, August 20, 2006, 9:25 PM

Fire storm

Current mood: impressed
Category: Life

Wow, now that was something. Today is a national holiday here in Hungary - arguably the most important one all year, if I hadnt been ill Id have gone out - so, fireworks. (They love fireworks here, but today's are special).

I'm inside, hunched over my laptop, and see the flowers of light blooming over the roofs of the houses. Pretty. So after a spell of temptation, I get up, open the windows. Listen to the thunder of the fireworks, look at the sparkly bubbles they blow into the sky.

It takes a few minutes before I'm aware that in between of the bolts of green and purple from below, are bolts of white from above. Lightning has mixed in - as if the clouds above are irked by having their bellies scratched this way, and are returning fire.

A gust of wind; a pigeon flying up to the roofstill by my side, fluttering, going down again instead. And wwhhhoooooomm. Just like that. The storm erupts. The treetops turn into a furiously choppy sea. Clouds of dust from the park billowing up. Two people in the street start running. Branches start flying about, car alarms go off, left, then right. I go to the couch to put on a sweater and return to the open window just in time to literally close it up against the rain, which out of nowhere, actually pushes the window up against me. Two minutes, in all, at the most.

I think they even stopped the fireworks for a bit, or perhaps its sound had just gotten drowned out in the noise of the storm; the clouds rushed on to cloak its lights. Now they're back again though; red, blue, green, circles, chandeliers, horizontal lines, elipses that revert on themselves. Their thumping now muffled by the gauze of rain. Which is ebbing away already, still within the 10, 15 minutes mark.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 08:15 am
nimh wrote:
Lightning has mixed in - as if the clouds above are irked by having their bellies scratched this way, and are returning fire.

Nice!

Glad you're OK, that sounds scary. Sorry that you're (still?) ill, though...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 01:07 pm
Very nice description...

and get better soon..
0 Replies