GNP in Afghanistan is robust

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 05:54 am
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) - Opium cultivation in Afghanistan has hit record levels _ up by more than 40 percent from 2005 _ despite hundreds of millions in counternarcotics money, Western officials told The Associated Press.

The increase could have serious repercussions for an already grave security situation, with drug lords joining the Taliban-led fight against Afghan and international forces.

A Western anti-narcotics official in Kabul said about 370,650 acres of opium poppy was cultivated this season _ up from 257,000 acres in 2005 _ citing their preliminary crop projections. The previous record was 323,700 acres in 2004, according to the U.N. Office on Drugs and Crime.

"It is a significant increase from last year ... unfortunately, it is a record year," said a senior U.S. government official based in Kabul, who like the other Western officials would speak only on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive topic.

Final figures, and an estimate of the yield of opium resin from the poppies, will be clear only when the U.N. agency completes its assessment of the crop, based on satellite imagery and ground surveys. Its report is due in September.

The U.N. reported last year that Afghanistan produced an estimated 4,500 tons of opium _ enough to make 450 tons of heroin _ nearly 90 percent of world supply.

This year's preliminary findings indicate a failure in attempts to eradicate poppy cultivation and continuing corruption among provincial officials and police _ problems acknowledged by President Hamid Karzai.

Karzai told Fortune magazine in a recent interview that "lots of people" in his administration profited from the narcotics trade and that he had underestimated the difficulty of eradicating opium production.

The U.N. Office on Drugs and Crime estimate that opium accounted for 52 percent of Afghanistan's gross domestic product in 2005.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,374 • Replies: 13
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 08:28 am
Ah yes, that's the kind of war on drugs that we can get behind ( Rolling Eyes )
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 05:26 pm
So has it come to this? Is L'K the only one who cares about the economic well-being of afghanistan? I am like so disappointed in all the well wishers for democracy and economic prosperity for the middle east.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 05:32 pm
Them Afghanners are apparent astute businessmen.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 05:34 pm
good on ya Edgar, I think it's important to recognize the economic prosperity and republican values of profit.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 05:37 pm
Isn't that what capitalism is all about? Giving the people what they want and making a profit. Geez what a world.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 05:53 pm
If they growed okra there they would all go bankrupt.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 05:55 pm
Okay, I'll comment. Won't be too informed, but I'll comment.

"Robust" seems an odd word for the Afghani economy. Don't see too many pictures of fat Afghanis taking a deserved afternoon or two on the golf course, to take a break from downsizing a couple of thousand grunts so that the shareholders are happy with the balance sheet. Don't hear of huge Afghani call centers, or automotive parts manufacture, or consumer electronics.

As despicable as opium is, this is a crop that they know, supply lines are established and it probably beats starving. What reasonable alternative does the average subsistence farmer have?

(Ditto for coca farmers in Columbia.)

I wonder if Monsanto has been experimenting in Afghanistan? You know, with the reported bumper crop ....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 05:56 pm
I wonder if the junkies will be getting a price break now?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 06:06 pm
Re: GNP in Afghanistan is robust
dyslexia wrote:
The increase could have serious repercussions for an already grave security situation, with drug lords joining the Taliban-led fight against Afghan and international forces.

That so doesnt make any sense.

Why in heavens name would drug lords "join" the very forces who were the only ones ever to succeed in getting them down - with ruthless violence?

Drug lords and Taliban are each other's very enemies. They're not gonna join up. Karzai and democracy are merely stuck in the middle.

Personally though, I prefer the combination of relative freedom + heroin over Taliban totalitarianism.

And as Tico pointed out, all the Afghans are doing is living on a demand here in the West. Burning down crops is never going to win the war on drugs - that one has to be fought and won here at home.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 06:16 pm
nimh you silly goose, the one thing that both the taliban and th warlords appreciate is cold hard cash, that's what makes their world go around.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 06:22 pm
dyslexia wrote:
nimh you silly goose, the one thing that both the taliban and th warlords appreciate is cold hard cash, that's what makes their world go around.

Err. The Taliban killed them, by masses. And were the only ones ever succesful of burning down their business entirely. There's no "cold hard cash" in Taliban gains for the drug lords.

Plus - though on this one I'm more shaky - I do believe that the Taliban have their stronghold in the south and east, and the drug lords have theirs in the north and west.

Methinks the author is just conflating two completely different things. They both pose a danger for Karzai's government, but that doesnt mean they're "joining up". Journalistic laziness. Happens a lot.
0 Replies

ibraxey-2

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 06:25 pm
In fact, we forgot to add that their opium is a delicacy in the world of quality heroin. It is not akin to a good Krug or Chandon (Champagne) by no means, but it sells- and the question is: who is buying? Everybody? Really? The amount of money in exchange for this particular product is absurd. And, during war time? As with Vietnam, with the French financing their routes from the drug traffic?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 06:30 pm
nimh wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

Err. The Taliban killed them, by masses. And were the only ones ever succesful of burning down their business entirely. There's no "cold hard cash" in Taliban gains for the drug lords.

Plus - though on this one I'm more shaky - I do believe that the Taliban have their stronghold in the south and east, and the drug lords have theirs in the north and west.

Methinks the author is just conflating two completely different things. They both pose a danger for Karzai's government, but that doesnt mean they're "joining up". Journalistic laziness. Happens a lot.

nimh you are arguing with THE DYS, the one with the stetson hat, the ignornant bastard from WolfHole, you are making a fool of yourself, I am not now nor have ever been authentic. You need to take up this issue with Possum, a man of knowledge.
0 Replies