the witchcraft issue central to african developpement

kwama

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 01:37 pm
I always thought that the development of Africa is mainly a political issue, until I delved into the book of Ne Kiana Mazamba "Kindoki: an African mystery elucidated" ( EDIT (Moderator): Link Removed ). Kiana gives another perception of the problematic of the African development which puts spirituality at the centre. For him the African trouble comes from the destruction of the African spiritual traditional values, this destruction let lose the belief in witchcraft, the main element of that blocks good initiatives on individual and collective level. Mr Kiana gives two solutions: first religion in Africa should be able to help people handle the issue of witchcraft. And secondly spirituality should help African connect with black saints.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 912 • Replies: 1
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 05:44 pm
Very interesting. How will re-instilling spirituality help in dealing with multi-nations raping countries or dictators who are ridiculously corrupt? Can't some other form of grass-roots/collective initiative be of use? Haven't some been tried already?

What spirituality do you speak of? I once thought that the youth of america were susceptable to drug use, early sexual encounters and lack of a cohesive drive because of a series of events, but the one main thing I felt was responsible was a lack of rites of passages. At the time I had come out of college with an anthropology major, I'd never been religious, and I was floundering (I floundered for decades). I still feel like modern society has lost it's rites of passages, but I think things are much more complex than the way I saw them back in the early 90s.

Anyway, here is an interesting and timely article at the BBC: BBC
0 Replies