Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 12:24 am
I've been searching for an answer for a question as to what practices a buddhist monastery follows of any country.
i've found lots of info, but not enough and it's often not very solid, either.
wondering if anyone has any good information - thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 468 • Replies: 6
No top replies

mandarin

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 12:28 am
sorry - i don't mean practices, i mean what happens daily, but that includes any practices.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 06:36 pm
Laughing Solid information is the last thing you should ever expect of buddhists !

(Sorry, couldn't resist ! )
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 11:37 pm
The practices of Buddhist monasteries varies dependant upon which school and/or sect is dominant. The rule will depend upon who the Master is, and what he feels is necessary to further the Buddhist cause. Typically, monks and nuns rise very early, long before sunrise. Upon rising, one cleans and orders their cell, and perform their morning ablutions. They may communaly share a light breakfast, before walking meditation as a community to the central hall. Chanting from the sutras is common, and the central sutra chant will be common to the school and sect, i.e., The Great Heart Sutra, or the Diamond Sutra. The leaders of the community will perform some ritual devotions with gongs, clapping of wooden blocks, etc. that signal important points in the rituals. Hand gestures (Mudras) are symbolic of key Buddhist conceptions and provide a visual language all their own. With some schools/sects the mudra and altar rituals will take on a magical bent, though the combination of ritual, incense, chanting, and prostrations (a symbolic number, usually 3 or 9 ... 4's tend to be avoided as "unlucky" in many Asian cultures) give the proceedings a solemn tone. In Zen, the congregation will then sit in meditation. In Rinzai the congregation face inward from their seats around the perimeter of the Zendo. In Soto, one sits in meditation facing the wall.

In some parts of Asia, the community of monks will go out into the streets with their "begging bowls" to receive food offerings from the public. In many of these orders the monks are entirely fed by donations given by the people to attain merit. Typically, a donation is made and the monk humbly gives a blessing and moves along to give others the opportunity to give a bit of rice, an onion, a bundle of carrots, etc.

Traditionally, sitting is in either half, or full lotus position with a plump pillow under ones spine. Posture is terribly important, and is upright with the base of the skull directly above the hips. The stomach may be a bit distended. With shoulders back, the arms fall naturally to the side and the hands rest in the lap. The gesture is usually with the left palm lying in the palm of the right hand with the thumb-tips lightly meeting. The eyes are directed forward, and the lids allowed to droop. Sitting motionless in meditation might last anywhere from 1 hour to 12 hours. Over long sitting periods there are short breaks given to walking meditation, and even shorter recesses for toilet. During these marathon sessions its easy to fall asleep, and a senior monk is charged with keeping folks alert with a carved stick.

After the morning session, the community will disperse to perform the duties, responsibilities and work required to maintain the monastery. Gardening, sweeping, cooking, doing routine maintenance, gathering firewood, painting religious pictures, etc., are all common. Monks are disciplined to remain fully focused on their tasks.

Lunch is signaled by a bell, a chime, a clapping of blocks, etc. Lunch is eaten with the other monks and is completed before noon. Typically lunch is THE meal of the day, and no one "eats" until breakfast the following morning. The staple is often rice and steamed vegetables. In my experience, the food is bland and tasteless beyond belief ... but then I grew up eating really hot chilis. During the evening, there will sometimes be a thin soup, but that is regarded more as a drink than a meal. Tea is the fuel of long sessions, but one has to have a bladder of iron and an even stronger will.

After lunch, the congregation will return to work until called to the afternoon/evening session. This is similar to the morning session, but during an intermission around 7 or 8 p.m. one might be granted an interview with the Master. These are terribly formal occasions, but the Master's questions and polite conversation are frequently very involved lessons pertinent to the particular monk/nun/students particular circumstances and needs. Following the end of the evening session, the community retires to their cells and are expected to study or meditate on their own for another period of time before going to sleep. Some orders even dictate ones posture in sleeping.

The monastery life is timelesss and endless. The routine is unvarying and one event/day flows into another so smoothly that its easy to lose track of how long one has lived apart from the world. All that a monk is permitted to "own" is his begging bowl, sandals, and robes. The monks yellow robes are often made up of small patches sewn together by the monk's female relatives. The color was at one time associated with convicts, and it is to teach humility that one wears a plain robe of yellow/saffron rags.

Let me reiterate ... Buddhist monasteries aren't all the same, and each will reflect the doctrinal emphasis of their school/sect.
0 Replies

mandarin

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 03:13 am
thanks for the info, it's helpful.
only problem being, my assignment has already been handed into the marker Sad
oh well, next time
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 09:24 am
Our response was not intended to improve your school grades, but to expand your knowledge base and perhaps to further your interest in Buddhism.
0 Replies

mandarin

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 12:15 am
i get the impression you think i am a very young person - i am not.
i understand what your point in giving me information was, but i am not as totally in the dark about Buddhism as you may believe me to be. i just required some details that may further enhance my knowledge and understanding of the topic.
0 Replies