Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 08:55 am
Last night i watch 30 days where and atheist joins a family of christians for a month. Did anyone see this? What i seamed to find out is either religion seamed to get defenive when surounded by the other side.

What are some other thing you may have picked up?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 487 • Replies: 4
No top replies

neologist

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 12:08 pm
Would you be so kind as to use spell check?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 02:49 pm
I really don't think atheism should be called a religion. It has none of the hallmarks of religion, no matter what some legal judge thinks.

There is no God, there is no spiritual aspect.

To call Atheism a religion is like calling Communism a religion or even Nazism (although that got scarily close to one with its Cult of Personality). In fact, with the exception of Judaism, I don't really think any -ism counts as a religion.

Atheism is an ideology. If they heavily defend it that's because they're passionate about it. If they defend at the expense of logic, however (i.e. they insist on saying something about it is right, when evidence clearly shows its wrong), then that means they've become dogmatic about it.

A dogmatic belief does not equal religion. If it did, perhaps Republicans should start their own church and the Democrats could start a rival church and what have you.

I've never seen 30 minutes, but I can tell you that the only reason they would ever get defensive is if they actively confront each other. I've been with Muslims, Christians and what have you. None of us were ever on the defensive, because we never actively and persistently confronted each other on the issue.

So, I've got to say this... Someone must have provoked the other side.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 03:07 pm
Even when i wrote that i knew some1 was to say say something. I used religion for lack of a better word. Its obviously not a religion, im an agnostic and i get a little perturbed when ppl call that a religion. So i guess i should choose my words more carefully.

Well i noticed they got devensive when the only atheist went to the bible study and was suround by christians with questions. But the christians got defensive when they were surrounded by the "Church of Atheist" (thats what they called it, so dont get on me). But you are right, i have met mormons, christians, Jews, Catholics, Atheist....And as long as there isnt an over powering side its most open and free speaking.
0 Replies

c logic

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:27 am
I've never seen that show/program, but I'm not surprises at all that under these circumstances a conflict would arise.

The problem is that when you put two very different ideologies very close together, it's only a matter of time before the two will get sick of each other and possibly clash heads. It's just like the positive and negative charge that causes lightning during thunderstorms.
The main issue is that both think they're "right", in which case they think the other side is wrong.
Atheists think in a purely logical way (observation and science), while Christians believe in divine things and rely on faith.
Both base their thinking, actions, and conversations (actually, life as a whole) around their ideology, which becomes transparent and very noticable to everyone around them. (i.e. Christians become "Jesus Freaks", and Atheists become "Godless")
It would be like being forced to watch a TV program that you don't want to watch.
Especially actions may be viewed as annoying and unacceptable, more so if those affect the other side in some way.

Unless BOTH sides are extremely tolerant, when it comes to different religions and ideologies it's only a matter of time until some sort of a conflict will arise. The conflict can be "kept subtle" (disliking of the person/culture), or it can go as far as to create war.
0 Replies