Real Hair Extensions - Don't Wear Them

Miller

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 02:51 pm
Quote:
virgins before their wedding happily take part in this tradition

Very interesting! So we know the ladies, who're virigns, 'cause they're bald?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 02:52 pm
How about a dog-hair wig? Laughing
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 03:08 pm
Boomerang, I'm glad the temple is able to make money from the hair. I also appreciate the ceremony, i.e., it's an expression of the ladies' acknowledgement that ULTIMATELY they have no control over their destinies. Pride is the illusion that we are in control. In Mexico when an individual (a conventional rural individual, especially) proclaims his plans, he says "Dios Primero" (God's will first). We used to say the same thing: "God willing", and in our more secularized mood we say, "If the creek don't rise" or, more abstractly, we knock on wood.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 03:16 pm
I wonder what the groom chops off to show to symbolize his acquiescence to and impotence in the face of a greater power...

Oh, wait, he's not a bride...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 03:19 pm
patiodog wrote:
I wonder what the groom chops off to show to symbolize his acquiescence to and impotence in the face of a greater power...

Do the grooms carry "baggy" with them to the altar to collect the chopped off specimen?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 03:22 pm
In any case, PD, I know what he does NOT chop off.
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 05:35 pm
[quote="Miller]

The above is merely "HEAR SAY" on your part, since you haven't provided one LINK to support your commentary.[/quote]

I think that is a really unfair and partisan comment since Smorgs has obviously researched this subject with great interest/horror. Why would she bother trying to educate you all [nobody has posted at any length in support of this practise, I notice!] if she hadn't done her research!

You are so depressingly quick to condemn what it doesn't suit you to think about!

Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 05:38 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
smorgs, do you eat meat? Chicken, turkey, pork, beef or lamb?

What has this got to do with the subject?

Isn't it just a rallying cry to the "troops": Here's a non-conformist, let's gang up on her?

Well...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 05:59 pm
Perhaps it is because while we don't support it, we don't condemn it either.

I would neither sell my hair nor buy someone else's. If there was a religious ritual that I believed shaving my head made me worthy to participate in, I would shave it. And I wouldn't care if the church/temple/whatever sold it. If I had to feed my family and one way to do it was to sell my hair I would let it be shaved off without a second thought.

I'm not at all condemning smorgs. I think smorgs is an amazing person.

Reasonable people disagree about all kinds of things.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 06:23 pm
boomerang wrote:
Reasonable people disagree about all kinds of things.

And that's a good thing. It would be pretty boring if we all agree on
everything.

Smorgs is an amazing person, I agree! I love to read her stories and
she's got a great sense of humor. She's like an Altoid to a stale mouth,
and brings fresh air.
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 06:41 pm
Glad you agree about Smorgs!

Laughing

However I think this is a subject that she feels deeply about and you should give the amount of time that she has put into her posts a liitle more thought...

I don't want to piss anybody off but she has - from her first contribution - the made the most consistent and feeling sense to this sensitive thread of any others that I've just read so far {read it thru from scratch for the first time tonight] and I think that you should all [excepting a few notable exceptions, like DP] apologise for the way ytou have sneered at Sarah'sresearch!

Please,,, we need our members and this sort of "Don't agree with you so I'm only come out with the cliches" response makes it difficult for the non-conformist to fit in!

Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 07:02 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I'd recommend that anyone considering a donation to Locks of Love do a fair bit of independent research before proceeding.

The expectations of the worthy donors may not be met by the reality.

Huh?

Remember, not too long ago, I gave almost 3 feet of hair to them
tell me they dont sell it..
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 07:29 pm
I will apoligize if I have hurt smorg's feeling because I like her so much that I would hate to hurt her in any way. She shared something so amazing with me once (offline, and safe) that she has forever endeared herself to me. I am endebted to her and I admire her courage.

That said, I don't think I have expressed an opinion that I do not believe and I can't apoligize for saying what I think. If she has a problem with me I believe she will address it and she knows I will respond.

And that said, I encourage her to be patient if she does because I'm leaving town and may not have easy computer access for a few weeks.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 07:46 pm
Quote:
Locks of Love has received criticism for its practice of selling donated hair, rather than using it in wigs as the donors expect. In general, hair contributed by Americans is unsuitable for wig manufacture. The reason is that their hair is damaged by frequent washing, the use of styling products and dyes, and the heat from hair dryers and irons.

* Guidestar noted in a 2005 report that Locks of Love receives over 104,000 donations of hair each year, but has created a total of 1000 hairpieces since 1997. In response, Locks of Love asserts that six to ten hair donations are required for each wig.

At ten donations per wig, 1000 wigs would require only 10,000 donations. From the 1997-2005 period of time, at 104,000 donations a year, Locks of Love would have recieved an estimated 936,000 which assumes 1997 is included. That still leaves over 925,000 donations unaccounted for.

^^

from Wikipedia

There was a lengthy discussion of Locks of Love at another forum I go to. Heated would be a nice way to describe the discussion.

from the LongHair discussion forums

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=39015

Quote:
Can you stand another LOL rant?

I just read DBF's latest journal entry and once again, she was chased down by another one of those LOL advocates. I mean, it wasn't somebody simply making a comment about the "charity". This person chased her all the way through the library and out the door in order to tell her about LOL.

I just looked up their info online and what I found was their financial report from 2002. Give.org report on Locks of Love. In a nutshell, this is what it said:

Source of Funds

Contributions 194,398
Hair sales 150,719
Grants 18,991
Interest income 7,858
Program income 2,474
Gain on investment sales 103

Total Income $374,543

Now, half the time I get a compliment, the complimenter will mention Locks of Love and I'm getting pretty tired of it. I'm ready to print out this page and give it to them so they know the truth of this organization.

Give.org says that LOL does not meet Standards for Charitable Accountability. I imagine these people mean well but it's really starting to feel intrusive to me.

found the BBB numbers from April 2006 (more on admin, and less on programs now than in 2002)

http://charityreports.give.org/Public/Report.aspx?CharityID=1839

Quote:
Financial

The following information is based on LoL's audited financial statements for the fiscal year ended November 30, 2005.

Source of Funds
Contributions 552,554
Unusable material sales 352,401
In-kind donations 45,327
Interest 10,279
Net unrealized loss on investments -2,339
Loss on leased equipment -17,325
Total Income $940,897

unusable material sales - that'd be donated hair they sell

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49410&page=2

Quote:
They're basically scam artists. They get something like 100,000 (literally) donations a year and only make about 100 wigs a year, and they make them out of Indian and Indonesian hair -- like all wigmakers. And they don't give them to sick kids. They sell them. And not to kids with cancer either, like they always say on Oprah. The recipients of these expensive wigs are usually kids with alopecia, which is not fatal by any means -- but they never bringthis up because "alopecia" is much less box-office than "cancer."

The vast majority of the American hair they get is thrown out because it's too processed and washed/blowdried too frequently. That's why wigmaking companies won't use it and prefer south Asian hair; it's not as chemically mucked with.

However, the balance of Western hair that they get that's usable ... they sell. They claim they do it to offset their costs, but they pocket a lot of money -- something like $300,000/yr. (Despite this, they still sell the wigs to the kids who need them!)

The kicker is that most kids with alopecia don't care for real-hair wigs, like most people with hair loss from chemo don't. They take too much care, they are uncomfortable, and they go bad far sooner than synthetic hair wigs.

And honestly -- most people with any illness just want to get better and get back to growing their own hair.

But none of this ever comes up, Oprah keeps on having these shows where her audience leans forward and licks their twisted chops watching women crying and getting their hair chopped off like it's some sort of sick gladiatorial spectacle, and to make it worse, if you have long hair and don't want to chop it off, you're guilt-tripped because obviously you hate poor little sick kids with cancer.

It's all just ... twisted. And all for a hair-selling/wig-making company, not a "charity" at all. Less than 1% of their donations go to the people who are their intended beneficiaries. I'd rather give blood; at least I know that's going to someone who needs it. And I'm not made to feel like a tall poppy getting cut down to size by a bunch of jealous soccer moms in the process. Yuck ...

Probably a longer reply than you anticipated. :-) Locks of Love is a sore subject here; this is the only place where I ever learned how many donations they got, how few went to the actual sick kids, and how incredibly lucrative the whole thing was for them. If people want to grow their hair for charity, the best thing to do is to sell it on eBay. Some weirdo might buy it for a fetish, but you can donate the whole check to Katrina relief, or cancer research, or no-kill animal shelters, or whatever you like.
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 07:52 pm
I'm sure that Smorgs will forgive you when you get back, Boomerang...

I too have had dealings with Smorgs and have found her to be the most genuine and sincere people on the net. Someone who will always go the extra mile for her friends...

To me, reading the thread, it seems a little bit unsettling that nobody seems to think it matters that a beautiful woman is shorn of her crowning glory because it takes place in a poor country.

Nobody is thinking about what that means to that poor woman!

I think that is where the thread and Smorgs suffered a parting of the ways because she is the type of person who will think about things like that...

Laughing
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 08:25 pm
Well, I for one would like to thank smorgs for the information she has posted here. I had no idea about any of this, and the discussion that has ensued has really opened my eyes.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 09:08 pm
JLNobody wrote:
When I took my late wife to the wig shop to conceal her baldness due to chemotherapy, I enjoyed her gratification at finding a real-hair wig that closely matched her own hair. If she learned that her wig was provided by an impoverished woman who needed money to feed her kids, she would have been additionally pleased to be able to serve as her market. How unfortunate it would have been if noone wanted to buy the woman's hair.

What if it had been illegal for the poor women to sell their hair.
Would they have starved to death?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 09:13 pm
Tino wrote:
[quote="Miller]

The above is merely "HEAR SAY" on your part, since you haven't provided one LINK to support your commentary.

I think that is a really unfair and partisan comment since Smorgs has obviously researched this subject with great interest/horror. Why would she bother trying to educate you all [nobody has posted at any length in support of this practise, I notice!] if she hadn't done her research!
Crying or Very sad[/quote]

COMMENT by MILLER

If research has been done, then links to the published research results should be readily available. Otherwise, commentary is merely speculation or plain HEAR SAY.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 11:20 pm
This is all new to me. At first, I didn't know if smorgs was being serious or not. Simply bc I'd never heard of such a thing.

Looking it over though, I honestly still don't see what is so horrible about it.
The most sickening aspect of it is the same old rich-poor dichotomy.
Willingly allowing your head to be shaved, even if embarrassing and feeling pressured into it or bc you need food cash, just seems to me to be one of the lesser insults of poverty.

On a slightly different note: my friend and I once were considering hair extentions. There are only a few places in the city we could find that do it, and it is expensive. Real hair = very expensive, and a long process. I'm talking weaving not a wig.
Very difficult to find blonde hair - yes, it could well have been indian hair - the blonde was much more expensive.
Both my friend and I are white. The salon we found, and had recommended to us, was a sort of specialty salon for black women. They do all sorts of amazing things with hair.
The lady said she would have to charge us more bc we had 'white girl hair'. Apparently, more difficult to get the hair to stay or something.
I really don't know. Just found it interesting, and neither of us persued it further.

Never even considered where the hair may have come from.

Now that smorgs and ehbeth have provided all that info, I'm turned off of using human hair....more bc of the idea of there existing a profitable market for hair.....just seems, gross? If we people can't give hair freely, and have to take cuts make dough on it, it just seems 'tainted' now.

Still, for those who want human hair wigs and such, it would be nice to know there is non-scamming solution there. There's nothing wrong with us sharing hair in itself.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 02:58 am
littlek wrote:
Is this Dorothy for real?

I often talk with Dorothy on other A2K threads & I believe her concerns are genuine. Same for smorgs. What is wrong with expressing concerns about exploitation of women less fortunate than (some of) us? I fully support what both Dorothy & smorgs have said about this issue, actually.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 04:55:01