Classroom Nightmare

shark

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 10:24 am
Classroom Nightmare

In the last 10 to 20 years, crazy changes have transformed schools in America and other Western countries. In many classrooms, discipline and order have vanished and learning simply does not take place. As a substitute teacher, I recall students coming late to class and intentionally disrupting and distracting other students. More and more students were uninterested and unwilling to do the assignments left by the regular teacher in the famous SUB FOLDER. Some hurl obscene insults at their regular and sub teachers. They physically and verbally attack teachers and all other staff members and stomp out of classrooms when challenged by school authorities.

Here my reasons why I think education is miserably failing in America:

1-Many parents fail to comprehend their role as parents and leaders in the home, leaving their parental responsibilities to the schools, relatives or social workers.

2-The insecurity created by rampant divorce, parental alcohol, drug abuse and the endless joke of live-in lovers and the foul use of language by violent and abusive adults, saddles children with mental and behavior problems that seriously INTERFERE with the learning process.

3-With BOTH parents at work to survive in this CRAZY expensive society, there is little time for supervision, family time and guidance.

4-Children spend TOO MUCH TIME playing video games and hanging out with friends simply because mom and dad are working TOO MANY extra hours at the office. Children DO NOT feel they are important when they have to listen to a TIRED mom or dad gripe about helping out with homework.

5-TOO MUCH TV time and videos foster a SHORT ATTENTION span that severaly inhibits a child's ability to concentrate long enough to learn effectively in the classroom and/or in the after school tutoring programs.

6-Popular culture and the mass media also has a powerful and negative influence on children. Our modern day movies, shows and cartoons shout: VIOLENCE IS GREAT and PEACE IS A DREAM.

7-Government and churches have also done MUCH DAMAGE to the crisis in education today. Morality is out the window and sex with children sites dominate the internet world as reported on the news almost everyday. Allowing violence and ANY sexual acts lies under the guise of freedom of speech. Do you recall the GREAT scandals of priests all over the country having sex with young boys not too long ago? What is a child to think?

8-Teachers and educators captivated with misguided ideas have also contributed the our failing schools. Well-meaning adults have mistakenly reacted to child abuse cases by banning nearly ALL METHODS of discipline. Instead of issuing FIRM guidelines and using discipline WISELY, liberal educators try to negotiate and reason with unruly children, which only adds to classroom chaos.

9-ALL SCHOOL OFFICIALS are afraid of students. Why? In today's schools, students clamor about their right to sue if they are corrected or dismissed from school. In other words, students are in charge, not the school staff. Is this a joke or what? Parents even threaten teachers who attempt to discipline their children. I am not surprised that many teachers fail to report assaults and school administrators are sleepless due to FEAR OF LAWSUITS as discipline and order DISAPPEAR.

10-What about God? Have we forgetten Him? I think removing God from the classroom has hurt American schools more than anything else. If children were taught morality the right way, there would be NO NEED for a Columbine Disaster.

This is all I want to say. I am a substitute teacher who is not very happy with what my eyes can see and ears can listen to in various schools. Education, where are you?

If you reply, please do so at: [email protected].

Thank you for reading.
Guido
Substitute Teacher
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 678 • Replies: 1
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 09:06 am
When I was in the fifth grade Doug threw a desk at the music teacher and called her a bitch. He got expelled and his parents considered suing.

This was in 1970.

We never did what a substitute wanted us to do - this would have been for the 12 years preceeding 1977.

Kids are kids are kids.

I think you're in the wrong line of work.

And which God are what abouting?
0 Replies