Why are thre more opinions....

EpiNirvana

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 06:03 pm
a two person war? yea, i would take you more seriously if you said the satr wars trilogy, lol.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 06:06 pm
Re: Why are thre more opinions....
megamanXplosion wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
I met a man once who's only reason for turning to atheism (yes he admitted this) is that his mother died at a very early age and he, as a child got on his knees, begged and pleaded with God to save her, and God didn't. So he then decided there must be no "God" because his prayers were not answered.

You seem to have missed my point. You were mixing your perspective--that there is a god--with the atheist perspective when you said they were "disappointed with God." You'll never, ever, find an atheist that is disappointed with God because an atheist doesn't believe there is a god to be disappointed with.

Ummm... no not really. I think you are missing mine. I said:

Quote:
Atheists can turn to atheism BECAUSE they were disappointed by God. I've met several of people like that as well.

I did NOT say:

All Atheists have turned to atheism BECAUSE they were disappointed by God. I've met several of people like that as well...

All they did was jump from one belief system to another. Yet that doesn't negate the fact that at one time they may have believed in God and because things didn't work out as they supposed they would they in turn "changed" their religion. So to speak.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 08:01 pm
Dizzy Delicious wrote:
EpiNirvana wrote:
most....which oness havent?

The one between Caine and Able.
Actually, a religious observance was at the root of Cain's murderous rage.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 09:41 pm
hephzibah wrote:
material girl wrote:
....against religion than there are fore?

Material girl, there are a thousand reasons why people are against or for religion.

As far as the ones who are against it:

-Some people want to make up their own rules.
-Some people have been "disappointed by God".
-Some people think everything in life has to have a logical conclusion.
-Some people just don't care.

As far as the ones who are for it:

-Some people find comfort in believing they are not alone.
-Some people need rules to follow to function properly.
-Some people get a sense of superiority or importance by following those rules and then pushing them on others.
-Some people just want to feel needed in a great big cold world.

Just to name a few possible reasons.

I think this is a beautiful post. The example on those who are against

"Some people think everything in life has to have a logical conclusion."

Examine what is being done in the post itself. There is pigeon holing and the desire to rationalize the mentality of those that do and don't believe. Classic.

Life the universe and everything is too complicated and diverse and chaotic to rationalize to put in a book , and some people who choose not to believe in religion realize this. For me this is quite different from not being spiritual , having beliefs of life after death, reincarnation or whatever.

People want to have a world that they understand and religion offers great support to many. What happens when you die, imagine if everyone just said "dunno , might be this might be that , who knows." Better religion provide a long elaborate story to comfort you that all the questions are known and all you need to do is belive and everything will be fine.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 10:28 pm
Michael_S wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
material girl wrote:
....against religion than there are fore?

Material girl, there are a thousand reasons why people are against or for religion.

As far as the ones who are against it:

-Some people want to make up their own rules.
-Some people have been "disappointed by God".
-Some people think everything in life has to have a logical conclusion.
-Some people just don't care.

As far as the ones who are for it:

-Some people find comfort in believing they are not alone.
-Some people need rules to follow to function properly.
-Some people get a sense of superiority or importance by following those rules and then pushing them on others.
-Some people just want to feel needed in a great big cold world.

Just to name a few possible reasons.

I think this is a beautiful post. The example on those who are against

"Some people think everything in life has to have a logical conclusion."

Examine what is being done in the post itself. There is pigeon holing and the desire to rationalize the mentality of those that do and don't believe. Classic.

Life the universe and everything is too complicated and diverse and chaotic to rationalize to put in a book , and some people who choose not to believe in religion realize this. For me this is quite different from not being spiritual , having beliefs of life after death, reincarnation or whatever.

People want to have a world that they understand and religion offers great support to many. What happens when you die, imagine if everyone just said "dunno , might be this might be that , who knows." Better religion provide a long elaborate story to comfort you that all the questions are known and all you need to do is belive and everything will be fine.

Well actually I was talking more about those whose thoughts and ideals are planted firmly in science when I said that. The bible doesn't explain everything either actually. Though some people will claim it does. I used to think it did. However, I'm coming to the realization that there are some things we will probably never know, no matter what we believe. Some questions that will just never be answered.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 03:45 am
hephzibah wrote:

Well actually I was talking more about those whose thoughts and ideals are planted firmly in science when I said that. The bible doesn't explain everything either actually. Though some people will claim it does. I used to think it did. However, I'm coming to the realization that there are some things we will probably never know, no matter what we believe. Some questions that will just never be answered.

Which I think is a very healthy way of thinking. It doesn't make the universe any less magical or diminish ones sense of the spiritual, I'm not even critical of those who choose to follow religion, much good and guidance can be derived for those who wish to lead a good honest life, commune with others, help the aged and so on. Although I draw a line with those who feel the need to try and convert others and become judgemental towards others beliefs even when they clearly state their position.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 04:21 am
Dizzy Delicious wrote:
EpiNirvana wrote:
most....which oness havent?

The one between Caine and Able.

Didnt one kill the other?
Whether religious or not it sounds like a war to me.
0 Replies

mandarin

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 04:30 am
okay, a bit of topic here, but you're the only people online. Is anyone aware of someplace where i can search for a username? I sortof...lost myself a few months ago, and deleted all recognition of username/password, or even the e-mail i used.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 04:35 am
mandarin wrote:
okay, a bit of topic here, but you're the only people online. Is anyone aware of someplace where i can search for a username? I sortof...lost myself a few months ago, and deleted all recognition of username/password, or even the e-mail i used.

I know this sounds odd but if you go to the search link up top, it says the type in a anme.If you go through the alphabet some dropdowns should display what you have typed in before, on reading those it may jog your memory.
0 Replies

mandarin

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 05:56 am
thanks for the help - lol, just had a sudden urge or something to go on this site again.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 06:44 pm
material girl, hepzibah.....

I'm assuming you go about the world with your face uncovered, and you probably haven't even had your clitoris removed with a knife.

Why not?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 04:34 am
Eorl wrote:
material girl, hepzibah.....

I'm assuming you go about the world with your face uncovered, and you probably haven't even had your clitoris removed with a knife.

Why not?

Because people who have those religions havnt forced it upon me and havnt subjected me to those horrific rules.

I watched a programme the other day of an African tribe where they( I hate to say it was a woman) removed the clitoris with a knife.The african lady said 'It is us,its what makes us 'X' tribe'.
To me thats not a good enough reason.
Why take away soemthing thats meant to bring pleasure.I can only assume there is no equal operation for men.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 04:37 am
My parents didnt force any religion on me and I would be horrified if any parent would allow their daughters clitoris to be cut off.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 05:12 pm
You didn't answer the covered face part of the question. It's not horrific, why shouldn't you follow at least that religious law?

Surely the point I'm making is pretty obvious?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 08:54 pm
There is much to be read from your lack of response !!
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 06:25 am
I cannot imagine there being any people who turned away from God because they didn't like all the rules set out in the Bible, except for psychotic murdering maniacs and I severely doubt you've met any of those, Heph.

No doubt they find some of the rules to be completely illogical and without merit, like not spilling any semen. This compounds with other factors to drive them away from God.

When questioned about why I turn away, I usually only give one or two reasons, but I'm definitely sure there's more than that. A whole network of factors are at play to create all our differing opinions.

Personally, I find there's more people here who have a belief in religion than before.

Take kate4christ03 and Arella Mae and Mindonfire. Then there's dalahow2, whose pretty recent but not as recent as the previous three.
0 Replies