Aircraft Hijack attempt in Australia.

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 05:57 pm
An attempt by a passenger, armed with "wooden spikes" and, in some stories, aerosol and a lighter, to hijack a Qantas flight between Melbourne and Launceston (a small city on the northern coast of Tasmania - in other words a domestic flight) was foiled yesterday by passengers and airline staff, after a flight attendant was wounded.

No details yet about who the man was, or what he was trying to do.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s867821.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,837 • Replies: 31
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 05:59 pm
Last time I flew that route - about 7 years ago - it was in a prop plane!

Heaven knows what the fellow wanted - but I bet we all start taking domestic flight security pretty seriously.

Good on the staff and passengers, I say.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 06:00 pm
dlowan, I think since 9-11, more passengers are going to get involved in stopping highjackers do their harm. The penalty has to be BIG for these criminals. A slap on the wrist sends the wrong message to future would-be highjackers. c.i.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 06:02 pm
You know, the steward staff and the passengers on that Air France flight subdued the "shoe bomber," as well. Given 9/11, and the story of the crashed air liner passengers attacking the hijakers, i can't think of anything more foolhardy in travel today than the attempt to hijack an aircraft. If you're sittin't there thinkin': "I'm a dead man." -- then why not have a go at the awkward bastard . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 06:05 pm
I hope I would attempt to do something, that is for sure - but it is easy to freeze in those circumstances, too.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 06:07 pm
I fear the Tasmanian jokes will be out in force, should he prove to be a Tasmanian - think the equivalent of...oh, I dunno...Ozark jokes?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 06:14 pm
Just hillbillies in general, darlin', although West Virginia is a popoular target, especially here in Ohio . . . Americans have become so geographically ignorant, many probably don't know what or where the Ozarks are.

Why are hillbilly family reunions so cheap?

Well, when yer dad is yer uncle and yer mom is yer aunt . . .

Young fellah shows up at his Daddy's house early on the morning after his wedding, to the consternation of his family:

"Son, . . . what are ye adoin' here . . . whurz that pretty little gal a yourn?"

(Sobbing) "Daddy . . . she was . . . she was a . . . she was a VIRGIN, Daddy ! ! ! "

"Son, ya done the right thing, effen she ain't good enough fer her own kin . . . "

Visit beautiful West Virginia--three million citizens, 12 surnames . . .

I gotta go home now . . .

Aw, comeone sugarpie, just one more, 'k?

No really, i gotta go now . . .

Oh . . . pretty please . . . with sugar on top?

Now quit . . . just you quit that out . . . you're aputtin' me in a quandry . . .

Quandry ? ! ? ! ? Thas a pretty big word for a twelve-year old, ain't it?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 06:19 pm
Oh dear - yes, that sort of humour - and most unfair - Tasmania is a small but extraordinarily beautiful part of Australia - well worth a visit.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 06:21 pm
Yes, and i like the name better than Van Dieman's Land. Van Dieman just signed the checks--Abel Tasman actually sailed the ship to visit the "new" continent . . .

I've read that the interior has sharp mountain ridges with deep, rocky valleys . . . i think i'd enjoy that . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 06:36 pm
World heritage wilderness of extraordinary beauty - some of the most beautiful of it saved in a huge and lengthy environmental activist vs government hydro-electric commission campaign that had environmentalists living in the forest for years - a HUGE thing - and what the campaign saved was shortly thereafter named as world heritage wilderness.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 07:21 pm
should have went there instead of oz.............
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 07:22 pm
just kidding wabbit, calm down now.............
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 07:37 pm
pueo, Where have you been hiding? Wink c.i.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 08:39 pm
West Virginia and the Ozarks are beautiful, too. Remarkably, they both share the same continent.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 08:56 am
Get out, roger. What are you going to be trying to have us believe next? That Alaska is on it, too??!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 09:12 am
Whoa! This guy was serious and mean - one of those poor cabin people got big stitches - in several places - all over his head - and one of the women flight people got badly beat up, too - plus some passengers. He could easily have blinded or killed someone - yay staff and passengers!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:17 am
This might be a little creepy to say, but I think my repressed inner caveman would relish such a situation. Have always peculiarly enjoyed brushes with death...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:23 am
Ah, Boss, you've reminded me of one of my favorite songs from Dr. Demento:

Some people have an inner child
Some people have an inner clown
Me, i've got an inner bitch
And it's really hard to keep a good inner bitch down!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:39 am
The politically correct media once more omitted reporting whether the hijacker was a Muslim. If he was not, it is much likely that he was a mere mental patient, aka a lunatic.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:28 pm
Didn't appear to be Muslim (if you can tell by appearances) - and he had an anglo name (which I can't remember).

It wasn't considered a terrorist attack - just another nutter!
Qantas had better beef up their security - especially on Monday - when I get on board!
0 Replies