Jesuit's observatory seeks to bridge faith and science

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 06:22 am
Quote:
VATICAN KEEPS EYE TO THE HEAVENS

Jesuits staff Arizona mountain observatory
http://i5.tinypic.com/23vdnhf.jpg

http://i2.tinypic.com/23vdnom.jpg

[...]

"Our knowledge only increases our understanding of God," said Corbally's colleague Stoeger, who has made it one of his missions to explain how the spiritually minded also can be scientifically minded. He went on to explain that many Catholic theologians view the creation account found in Genesis as a story that reveals not a literal historical fact but the essential truth that God created everything, including all the mechanisms that allow for evolution.

Opinion polls indicate Americans might not be predisposed to consolidate the scientific view of evolution with their own church-influenced views. According to a November 2004 Gallup Poll, almost half of the U.S. population believes that human beings did not evolve but were created by God, as stated in the Bible, essentially in their current form about 10,000 years ago. That dovetails with a 2005 Pew Research poll indicating that 42 percent of Americans believe "life on Earth has existed in its present form since the beginning of time."

[...]

Angelo Secchi, a Jesuit priest, essentially started the discipline of astrophysics in the 19th Century, and Georges Lemaitre, another priest, proposed the Big Bang theory in 1933.

[...]

source: today's Chicago Tribune, pages 1 & 12; online version
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 774 • Replies: 5
No top replies

spendius

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 07:29 am
Walt quoted-

Quote:

That statement is rather at odds with the gist of the article.

Who exactly is it that "knows" that the Vatican is focussed on an ancient religion?

Oh yes- obviously--the ones who know that. It comforts them to know such a ridiculous thing and here's the article that proves the ridiculousness. The Church has been in the vanguard of Science from the beginnings in Gothic times.

It seems a reasonable argument to me that with no Church there wouldn't be any science.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 11:29 am
Seems, you didn't read the related report before responding.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 12:51 pm
Walt-

You are obviously catching the American disease of assuming that an assertion is proven because you have uttered it.

Of course I read the article. I read it three times actually. Which is something I often do. It isn't in the least unusual for me.

I am rather surprised that you would smear my integrity so casually and have the slippery "seems" to provide an escape route as well known as that is.

I was simply pointing out the manner which an anti-ID media uses to smear the other side and that in this case it had backfired.

They get in the idea that the Vatican is not known, ( a trick similar to your "seems"), for their focus on cutting-edge science and the reader is not supposed to notice that the article is based on the Vatican being focussed on cutting edge science. The small plaque is the problem. Blaring neon being a trifle too vulgar for the tastes of well educated men.

That's anti-ID besotted media for you and they haven't even enough respect for their reader's intelligence to get some journalistic competence and integrity into their well paid work.

Notice the "seem" in the first sentence again followed by a bald-assed lie masquerading as irony.

Next paragraph makes the astromoners sound like a bunch of oiks driving sheep through the hills.

I thought "lead" the wrong word. It's too positive.They might have said "the first vehicle that managed to make it up the hill". At least that is consistent with the other word choices . And waving them through the gate with no strip searches,identity checks or having to be condescending-ly Sir-ed to. How amateurish eh. And the boss man has to unlock the gate himself. No smartly saluting uniformed guards which so caresses the ego of the anti-IDer and sends him hotfoot into the men's room to see if his parting is straight.

And

"There", thrusting out from the vast, sun-baked Arizona desert plain on which Native Americans had once sculpted patterns with stones to appeal to the Gods in the infinite spaces behind the stars where new worlds are created, it stands, proud and defiant in the face of the unknown, --

Quote:
one of the most advanced telescopes on Earth,

about which another smearer had "joked" (Oh yeah), and had had his silly grinning face rubbed into a cowpat by people five freeways ahead of where he is.

And Kirsten is getting a little mixed up which is because she was appointed to her prestigious post by forces of which I know everything and they do get mixed up you see in these circumstances. Science is definitely not their subject even if they think it is.

Quote:
"Our knowledge only increases our understanding of God," said Corbally's colleague Stoeger, who has made it one of his missions to explain how the spiritually minded also can be scientifically minded. He went on to explain that many Catholic theologians view the creation account found in Genesis as a story that reveals not a literal historical fact but the essential truth that God created everything, including all the mechanisms that allow for evolution.

"Many" is an understatement. I've never met or read a Catholic theologian who thought anything else. I don't think you can become a theologian otherwise. Not a Catholic one I mean. And two men's names with no prestigious titles accompanying them and we are introduced to-

Quote:
Corbally's colleague Stoeger,

not knowing who Corbally is.

The thing is Walt- do you want to see anti-IDers running the show? Do you want to see Media running the show? They are very good with words you know. If you want those, and they are in bed together for obvious commercial reasons, vote anti-ID and encourage others to do the same.

Let hypnotism triumph. But they do say that you can't be hypnotised unless you wish to be. In a Nanny state it is quite popular as long as everybody doesn't indulge in it.

Perhaps you might give my post the attention I have given yours and try not to assume that you understand it sooner than you really ought.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 01:24 pm
Thanks for explaining.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 03:20 pm
Don't mention it Walt.

I hope it clarified one or two things.
0 Replies