But, how do I decide?

coberst

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 03:42 am
critical listening: A mode of monitoring how we are listening so as to maximize our accurate understanding of what another person is saying. By understanding the logic of human communication-that everything spoken expresses point of view, uses some ideas and not others, has implications, etc.-critical thinkers can listen so as to enter sympathetically and analytically into the perspective of others. See critical speaking, critical reading, critical writing, elements of thought, intellectual empathy.

critical person: One who has mastered a range of intellectual skills and abilities. If that person generally uses those skills to advance his or her own selfish interests, that person is a critical thinker only in a weak or qualified sense. If that person generally uses those skills fairmindedly, entering empathically into the points of view of others, he or she is a critical thinker in the strong or fullest sense. See critical thinking.

critical reading: Critical reading is an active, intellectually engaged process in which the reader participates in an inner dialogue with the writer. Most people read uncritically and so miss some part of what is expressed while distorting other parts. A critical reader realizes the way in which reading, by its very nature, means entering into a point of view other than our own, the point of view of the writer. A critical reader actively looks for assumptions, key concepts and ideas, reasons and justifications, supporting examples, parallel experiences, implications and consequences, and any other structural features of the written text, to interpret and assess it accurately and fairly. See elements of thought.

critical society: A society which rewards adherence to the values of critical thinking and hence does not use indoctrination and inculcation as basic modes of learning (rewards reflective questioning, intellectual independence, and reasoned dissent). Socrates is not the only thinker to imagine a society in which independent critical thought became embodied in the concrete day-to-day lives of individuals; William Graham Sumner, North America's distinguished anthropologist, explicitly formulated the ideal:
The critical habit of thought, if usual in a society, will pervade all its mores, because it is a way of taking up the problems of life. Men educated in it cannot be stampeded by stump orators and are never deceived by dithyrambic oratory. They are slow to believe. They can hold things as possible or probable in all degrees, without certainty and without pain. They can wait for evidence and weigh evidence, uninfluenced by the emphasis or confidence with which assertions are made on one side or the other. They can resist appeals to their dearest prejudices and all kinds of cajolery. Education in the critical faculty is the only education of which it can be truly said that it makes good citizens. (Folkways, 1906)
Until critical habits of thought pervade our society, however, there will be a tendency for schools as social institutions to transmit the prevailing world view more or less uncritically, to transmit it as reality, not as a picture of reality. Education for critical thinking, then, requires that the school or classroom become a microcosm of a critical society. See didactic instruction, dialogical instruction, intellectual virtues, knowledge.

critical thinking:
1) Disciplined, self-directed thinking which exemplifies the perfections of thinking appropriate to a particular mode or domain of thinking.
2) Thinking that displays mastery of intellectual skills and abilities.
3) The art of thinking about your thinking while you are thinking in order to make your thinking better: more clear, more accurate, or more defensible. Critical thinking can be distinguished into two forms: "selfish" or "sophistic", on the one hand, and "fairminded", on the other. In thinking critically we use our command of the elements of thinking to adjust our thinking successfully to the logical demands of a type or mode of thinking. See critical person, critical society, critical reading, critical listening, critical writing, perfections of thought, elements of thought, domains of thought, intellectual virtues.

critical writing: To express ourselves in language requires that we arrange our ideas in some relationships to each other. When accuracy and truth are at issue, then we must understand what our thesis is, how we can support it, how we can elaborate it to make it intelligible to others, what objections can be raised to it from other points of view, what the limitations are to our point of view, and so forth. Disciplined writing requires disciplined thinking; disciplined thinking is achieved through disciplined writing. See critical listening, critical reading, logic of language.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 648 • Replies: 5
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 04:36 am
coberst, education simply makes the tools available. Which tools you choose to use, and what you do with those tools, is up to you.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 06:09 am
timberlandko wrote:
coberst, education simply makes the tools available. Which tools you choose to use, and what you do with those tools, is up to you.

Exactly, but the better prepared the better the results. Critical Thinking is a good means to become prepared.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 01:29 am
Re: But, how do I decide?
coberst wrote:
But, how do I decide?

That is easy, just agree with everything I say.

LOL

Just joking man.
But seriously.

I don't be there is any TRUE holy book from GOD.
I do believe in GOD though.

I believe GOD is a GOD of LOVE.
And that all things that are done in LOVE is GOD acting through and with mankind.

I don't believe a GOD of LOVE would be against gays or lesbians as long as they love each other and are not just doing it for the sex.

But if you "believe" the bible is the word of god, that is fine.

I can tell you on this one.
Don't become.
MORON
JEHOVAH WITNESS
PENTECOSTAL
CATHOLIC
SEVENTH DAY ADVENTIST.

Mormons believe they can become Gods.
God says in the bible that HE IS GOD and there is NO OTHER neither shall there be.

Jehovah Witnessess believe Jesus was created.
But the bible says he created everything.

Pentecostal believe in speaking in other tongues.
But the true speaking in other tongues when peter did it every single person that was there understood in his language.

Catholic pray to mary.
Prayer belongs only to GOD.

Seventh Day Adventist think you can work your way to heaven.
But all your works are as filthy rags.

You really made to long of a post to read.
Which way you leaning and I can give you more info.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 06:49 pm
The irony here is that those of us who already engage in critical thinking are saying "BULLSHIT!" while those that aren't....aren't.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 06:59 pm
become an agnostic, its the quiters way to religion. Razz
0 Replies