US Congress: French returns to menu

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:44 pm
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3332/zwischenablage01hd7.jpg

French fries and French toast are back on the menu in the congressional cafeteria, more than three years after their names were changed to "freedom fries" and "freedom toast" by Republican congressmen outraged at France's opposition to an invasion.

The culinary withdrawal went unannounced but was reported by the Washington Times. Neither of the two congressmen who called for the original name change would comment on its reversal.

Washington Times: Hill fries free to be French again
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 521 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Letty

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 04:03 am
What is embarrassing, Walter, is that French toast had nothing to do with the French:

These two boys have egg on their face! If they knew a little history, they wouldn't be the current "toast" of the town for comedians and historians around the world.

First of all, French toast is not a "French" invention. Even funnier is French toast is an American creation, and more specifically it has an Albany, N.Y. birthrite. You see, Joseph French, an Albany area tavern keeper in 1724 served his "French" bread for breakfast, but his poor knowledge of grammar prevented him from putting the possessive apostrophe after his name to read on his menu, correctly, "French's Bread."
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 09:35 am
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
French toast (also known as Fried/Eggy Bread) is popular as a breakfast main course in North America, parts of Europe, and Hong Kong.

History and geographical spread

The precise origins of the recipe are unknown, but similar dishes have existed in many countries and under many names. It is attested in Medieval Europe under the names:

* United Kingdom: suppe dorate
* France: tostes dorées, pain perdu
* Yugoslavia: prženice

Modern versions occur in many countries under other names:

* Brazil/Portugal: rabanada
* Bulgaria: пържени филии ("fried slices [of bread]")
* Canada: pain doré (in francophone regions, "golden bread")
* Denmark/Norway: arme riddere
* Greece: αβγόφετα(avgofeta, literally "egg-slice")
* United Kingdom: 'poor knights of Windsor', 'eggy bread', 'Gypsy Toast' and in parts of Cumbria, 'Pandora'.
* Finland köyhät ritarit ("poor knights") when eaten plain or with butter, rikkaat ritarit ("rich knights") when rolled in powdered sugar, sprinkled with it until fully covered or alternatively covered with whipped cream to provide the white base, and an eye of red coloured jam added in the center.
* France: ameritte or pain perdu (literally, "lost bread")
* Germany: armer Ritter
* Hungary: bundás kenyér (literally, "bread in coat")
* Netherlands: wentelteefjes (etymology unclear, "wentelen"=to turn over, "teefje"=bitch)
* Spain: torrija
* Sweden: fattiga riddare
* U.S.A.: German toast, Spanish toast, nun's toast
* India: Bombay toast

Some people claim that this dish was called "German toast" in the U.S.A. before World War I and was changed to "French toast" because of anti-German sentiment. A popular cookbook from 1918 does refer to it by that name. However, the term "French toast" can be found in print in the U.S.A. as early as 1871. The Oxford English Dictionary cites usages of "French toast" in English as early as 1660 (toasted bread with wine, orange juice, and sugar), and cites an egg-based recipe of the same name from 1882. It has also been called "American toast" in the U.S., where there is a story that it was invented in 1724 by a man named Joseph French in a roadside tavern near Albany, New York.

In early 2003, the name of French toast was changed again to "freedom toast" in the White House, the U.S. Congress, and in a few U.S. restaurants, this time due to anti-French sentiment stemming from France's refusal to support a war in Iraq. (A similar renaming occurred with French fries, which were called freedom fries in those places. In reaction, the French embassy merely commented that French fries are, in fact, from Belgium.)

LINK
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 09:48 am
As an aside: in Germany it was called first "Gülden Schnitten" (= golden pieces of bread")(mentioned in 1691) until it became known as "Armer Ritter" (poor knight) since 1787.

I've a book from 1716 , which mentions it somewhere inside as well .... but in Latin. (Referring to the original version by Marcus Gavius Apicius from the 1rst century and calling it a traditonal Westphalian dish ... or similar.)
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 12:05 pm
I knew if anyone could get to the bottom of this burgeoning crisis, it would be tico. :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:54 pm
yes , walter , i well remember "arme ritter" , though in hamburg day-old crusty buns were used for it .
now even in canada we eat "french toast" - and no complaints from the anglos yet Very Happy .
i wonder what it's called on quebec menus , since in quebec all items must be called by the appropriate french name first Shocked .
hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 08:41 pm
i believe "french toast" is called "pain perdu" in french .
hbg
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 08:54 pm
hamburger wrote:
i believe "french toast" is called "pain perdu" in french .
hbg

Or "ameritte." :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 11:04 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

Or "ameritte." :wink:

Which is quite surprising, since that's the German name ('Armer Ritter').
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 01:55 pm
seems that the french are denying that they are french Laughing .
from what i've read , in new orleans and quebec it's called 'pain perdu' -
but i also understand that the french are looking at the quebecois as 'provincials' - or perhaps as 'pain pedu' Very Happy Evil or Very Mad
hbg
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 01:58 pm
Everybody calls it "pain perdu" in France.

I agree some "posh" don't use the term...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 02:08 pm
Francis wrote:

I agree some "posh" don't use the term...

Adoubés, I suppose :wink:
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 02:16 pm
And alikes, Walter :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 02:28 pm
thanks , francis !
i'm glad my two words of french got me through this Very Happy !
hbg
0 Replies