My dog wont eat. ?

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 08:10 am
Bella Dea wrote:

The other thing I was thinking about (I think of you often Twisted Evil ) is the idea of something physical being wrong.

I dont think she is physically sick.

She shows no signs, and has not been acting diffrently at all.

I have seen this timidness before and I am pretty sure it is due to the new water bowl..

but then again.. ?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 08:17 am
shewolfnm wrote:

So, how can I fix that? With out terrorizing her with new people and new things?

She will be left alone in the apt once we move because we both work.
But the diffrence is that she wont have to stay in one tiny room like she does now.
She will have the whole place to play in as she chooses... but she will still be 'alone'

truthfully.. I have considered getting her a new home.
I just dont see that we are suited to provide for her as she needs.
And given her possible abusive past, the way we can care for her, just might compound her issues and cause her to be totally uncomfortable.

Wich i dont want to do ..

Ideally she needs another dog for company. I do understand that would add to your expenses and therefore not a good solution. You could try giving her more play time, long walks, as much doggie socializing as you can find time for. The worst is for her to be alone for long periods of time and in a small space, I think that describes her puppyhood and thus the problems you now see.

Dogs are social animals, they need to live in a pack (even if it's a pack of two), when they do not have their social needs meet they display the behavior you are describing. Bella has this problem solved by bringing Zoe to doggie day care, but I know this is not an option for you.

I think if you could find her a good home, maybe with another friendly dog or with people who are home all day that would be great. Maybe an older retired person who needs a companion, but does not want to deal with a puppy. You might want to contact animal groups in your area or pets.com.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 08:21 am
doggie day care a few times a week might help?

I could possibly find a place that is affordable for 2 or 3 times a week ..

but yeah. the more I watch her, the more I am thinking that I cant provide all she needs and it isnt fair to her to stay here .

I do love her, but I cant keep her if I cant care for her ya know?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 08:26 am
Like this one -

http://www.barkinghoundvillage.com/daycare/austin.html

16 dollars a day

I can swing that twice a week.

Picking a doggie day care is another story

Bella... what should I look for?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 08:32 am
One that is CLEAN. THe one I go to sanatizes in the morning before the dogs go out in the play area, once in the afternoon while the dogs are at lunch, and once at night after the dogs are put back into the crates. They also sanatize if a dog poops or pees.

One that encourages dog play, not human play. Dogs play way differently with other dogs than they are allowed to play with humans. Don't be suprised if Buttercup comes home with a tuft of fur missing. They should never be HURT but sometimes (like we do) they get a little boo boo when playing.

One that has plenty of supervision. My place requires that you call ahead to make sure there is enough staff on to watch the dogs.

One that guarantees it's employees are trained. In both pet emergency (mouth to snout and first aid) and in dog behavior.

One that has a good interview process and isn't afraid to turn dogs away. Some dogs just shouldn't be in daycare.

Make sure they take you throughout the WHOLE place and explain to you exactly what's going on. Ask questions.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 08:38 am
I checked out that site and that places looks good. They require proof of vaccination, spaying/nutering and background info on the dog.

Normally, they do an interview in which they place another dog with your dog in a supervised play room. It's the way they evaluate temperment and play style. And also if your dog will do well at daycare. They don't want a dog who doesn't want to be there.

Just a word of caution....Don't be suprised if they turn her down....they may not want to deal with a dog who's been abused. As you know, these dogs have special needs and some places might not feel comfortable with her. But since she's never shown aggression, you should be good to go.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 08:50 am
Just another comment regarding the new water bottle system. Another thing about these that can frighten an easily frightened animal is the gurgle sound they make when water is being refreshed. That can take some getting used to.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 11:12 am
I ran into that problem earlier.

I got her to drink , and sure enough, it gurgled.

Scared the jezuz out of her.. Me too sort of Laughing

So I put my hand in the water and kept touching it while it was doing that.
She went back to it, but a bit nervous

I am home right now between my 2 jobs to keep doing the food/water thing and , she is a bit timid still.. but more willing to approach the bowl then earlier today.

So maybe this is helping.

I think, when we move, I will give her 2 months.
In that 2 months she will go to a doggie day care at least 2 times a week.
IF I CAN afford it, I will put her in more, but 2 times a week at 16 a visit is truthfully about all I can do .

If she doesnt seem better by then, I will find a new home for her.
I cant keep her if I cant care for her .
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 12:45 pm
may be a dumb suggestion, but why not give her a regular bowl from your cupboard if this new one is freaking her out?

just put a big mixing bowl or pot down with some nice cold water.

I'm not understanding the need for this watering system. Give her a big bowl in the morning and refill it at night.

she doesn't like it, so return it or just call it a loss.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 04:50 pm
I have tried that too.

And that scares her even more.

I did not know she would react like this or I would not have changed her bowl.

I took out a large plastic bowl and put that on the floor too. The change put her right back to the begining.... . not wanting to go any where near it.

If I change it again I may be starting yet again all over.. ?

I dunno...
I am wishing I didnt throw away that other bowl Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:03 pm
roland likes to sit in the sink and drink water from the faucet.

(just an aside, he is the strangest cat. when he lays down in the sink I can pull up the stopper and turn the water on and he just let's it run all over him and fill up around him.)

does buppy like to play with hoses, just gentle sprinkles? Lots of dogs like to snap at the water.

If that too much for him, try taking a moist sponge and when you've got him relaxed sitting next to you, slowly squeeze the sponge until just a drop on water lands on his body, something non-threatening, like one drop of water on his side. Increase the drops until he lets you know he's had enough of this game.

try again later, get him used to it. Might take a few days, but soon enough you'd be dropping water around his face. Just take his lead.

I know you're busy, but if you do this just a minute or two at a time when he's home, he'll come to trust. It'll take time, but it'll be a joy to see him blossom. That'll be your reward.

actually that's how I started with Roland, I just never realized how comfortable he'd get. I started when he was small just gently putting him in the bath tub after I took a shower, so he got used to what wet felt like, then turned on the water a dribble, etc.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 11:16 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I have tried that too.

And that scares her even more.

I did not know she would react like this or I would not have changed her bowl.

I took out a large plastic bowl and put that on the floor too. The change put her right back to the begining.... . not wanting to go any where near it.

If I change it again I may be starting yet again all over.. ?

I dunno...
I am wishing I didnt throw away that other bowl Laughing

If that other bowl came along with her, she probably misses it as it may have been a familiar security blanket sort of thing. Can you get an exact dupicate?
0 Replies

Shoe Et Tu

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 08:55 am
shewolfnm wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

don't worry. dogs aren't humans... they're too smart to get suicidal....

I know she wont starve herself..

but dont dogs start to vomit when they have not had food for a while?

If they haven't eaten for a good while, their little stomachs will be empty and thus, there won't be anything to vomit.
0 Replies

Shoe Et Tu

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 09:06 am
I think it takes awhile to socialize some dogs. Until then, they're afraid of noises, some people and strange places. They don't want to leave their homes, because they're afraid they might not be returning.

It'll take time and patience to 'socialize" your dog. But, eventually it'll take place.

As far as not drinking or eating, if the food is really good like a hot dog or a piece of steak, I think your dog might eat.

What you might consider, is taking your dog to a "behavorist", to find out if your dog's suffering from depression.

Did you mention the dog's breed?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 09:53 am
Please read back in the notes 'cause there may be an issue of affordability here as Behaviorists charge a lot of money and can't promise results. I'm not sure everyone can afford such therapy. Even Vet bills are tough to deal with for some of us.
0 Replies

Shoe Et Tu

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 04:59 pm
Good Vet insurance can be had for about $250/year. This insurance does cover behavioral problems as well as, of course, numerous physical/medical problems.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 05:18 pm
YIKES! $250 per year!
0 Replies

Shoe Et Tu

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 03:57 pm
How's the little dog doing?
0 Replies