Why Are Sub Teachers Treated Differently?

shark

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 12:25 pm
For the most part, subs that are assigned to cover a classroom or cluster schedule for one day and no more than 2 days per week are expected to supervise students ONLY. In some cases, a lesson plan is left in the classroom but this is not the norm.

The sole purpose of sub teachers is to SUPERVISE (more like baby-sitting) classrooms at any grade level. As a sub teacher, I have been reprimanded for teaching or bringing lesson plans into the classroom, which have been downloaded from the internet. What is the BIG CRIME?

Also, there is a line of separation between sub teachers and regular teachers in most NYC schools. It is easy to see this difference in the teacher's lounge, for example.
Regular teachers sit at one end of the lounge and sub teachers sit at the other end IN THE SAME LOUNGE. Sub teachers are mistreated and not seen as equal to regular teachers in many schools. Why is this the case?

Guido
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,823 • Replies: 6
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 05:15 am
Maybe the lesson plan was crap. maybe the regular class teacher doesn't like you. Maybe it's your attitude.

Quote:
The sole purpose of sub teachers is to SUPERVISE (more like baby-sitting) classrooms at any grade level.

If that's your attitude and you SHOUT like you WRITE IN CAPITAL LETTERS, well, there's your answer.
Bella Dea

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:48 am
At 16, would you respect a babysitter?

Also, sub teachers are looked upon as the ones who weren't good enough to be full time teachers. Not always the case but what do you know when you're a teenager?
Lash

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 08:29 pm
@shark,
I don't know if this guy is still here, but it seems like common sense. Teachers are in the middle of their day, and like cliques of kids, they have their friends and habits... They're just doing what they usually do...not taking time to greet the sub, who they may never see again. I think if you approached a table, and asked if you could sit, they'd be friendly. I have done this...and also been the fortunate recipient of a few kind teachers' invitations.

I can WELL say why you shouldn't be teaching. You aren't qualified. Subs should do as they're told in the classroom. My teachers (thankfully) leave lesson plans, and I follow them to the t.
0 Replies

Joanne Pigdon

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 09:13 pm
@contrex,
Disrespectful behaviour between teachers must be acceptable in America? The type of treatment you are all talking of is unacceptable in the rest of the world.
0 Replies

Joanne Pigdon

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 09:14 pm
@Bella Dea,
What about women who have had children? Or who have just graduated?
0 Replies

Joanne Pigdon

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 09:21 pm
It's a mark of an unprofessional teacher to treat any without respect or dignity. I am sadden to hear that Americas education system is so bad. Teachers, yes including the vital substitutes are the most important asset in any country let alone school. To be honest I'm glad that I don't work in America the way I have seen you treat each other is frankly an embarrassment to the teaching profession. All good teachers treat all with respect and dignity and there are mountains a research to back this up.
0 Replies