Animals Housed in Jail

quinn1

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 10:52 am
Interesting story for those in the area of Iowa...you might want tomake sure you dont have a run in with the law..its really likely to bite you on the behind if you do.

Quote:
Aquarium animals housed temporarily in jail
By Associated Press, 5/28/2003

DUBUQUE, Iowa -- Snakes, reptiles and amphibians are making themselves at home in the old county jail -- until their new home in the National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium is ready.

"We have about 45 snakes," said Brian Lex, one of four full-time aquarists with the museum and aquarium.

The fish, reptiles and amphibians will be moved before the aquarium's opening on June 28. In the meantime, tanks and small aquariums line the halls of the jail's basement.

Lex and the other aquarists stroll from room to room, checking water, performing maintenance on tanks and checking snakes for signs of shedding.

Although shedding is a natural process for snakes, aquarists like to keep tabs on it because of its effect on diet and other factors, Lex said.

"I never thought I would be working with alligators in Dubuque," Lex said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,064 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:31 pm
Does this have something to do with Homeland Security? I don't reall reading anything about these animals receiving jury trials, so it must be they were considered foreign combatants or security risks. I wonder why they just weren't sent to Guantanamo?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:38 pm
No lack of reptiles in Guantanamo, and no need for more.

In 1898, the Navy landed Marines on the south coast of Cuba as the opening move in the invasion. They met some resistance, but the Spanish pulled back and just waited. Local boys felt obliged to sneak pass the Spaniards and point out to the Marines that there was no fresh water at their landing place, and that the Spanish were just waiting for them to be forced into surrender. The locals then convinced the Marines that a better location was available nearby, with a fresh water source and a decent landing beach. The Marines took Guantanamo Bay, and they've never left. (Guess they were forgotten in all the furor of the fight for San Juan and Santiago de Cuba, and no one ordered them to leave. Think they're still waiting for orders?)
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 04:47 pm
I suppose they could be considered security risks at some point, or place

thanks for the info S...always a wealth of information
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 04:52 pm
If the critters got to see their lawyers, they're doing a lot better than those poor bastards at Guantanamo...
0 Replies