[answered] Sig line disappears unpredictably

Thomas

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 10:02 am
My signature sporadically appears in some posts but not in others. For example, it's present in this thread, but (here are two posts where it has disappeared. Note that the posts around immediately before and after mine both have their authors' signature line displayed. So it's not thread-specific. The whole thing looks a lot like what people have described in this thread, which is marked "closed".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,103 • Replies: 11
No top replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 10:09 am
Thomas,

I notice that my sig line disappears only after I edit a post. If I leave the post alone, my sig line remains.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 10:14 am
This happened to me too a couple of days ago. I also noticed that others' posts around mine had the signatures missing. I posted about it on some thread as it was happening. Next time I checked in on a2k, the signatures were back and anyone reading my post about it must have thought, "what??". At the time, I did go check my Profile and all was in order.

Dunno, a glitch.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 10:26 am
wandeljw wrote:
Thomas,

I notice that my sig line disappears only after I edit a post. If I leave the post alone, my sig line remains.

That makes sense. I edited my initial post here, and the signature is no longer there. I agree it's a glitch. Is it hard to fix? I find it irritating.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 10:39 am
I do not know whether it can be fixed easily (timber may know).

I actually thought it was intentional rather than a glitch (a new way of telling other posters that a post has been edited).
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 04:32 pm
I checked your account, Thomas, and it's set to "always attach my signature" so that's not a problem. Is it possible that you're accidentally unchecking the Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile) box when you either post or edit a post?

It will not change automatically with an edit, but you might be accidentally unclicking, e. g. a stray click of the mouse and that might explain it.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 12:47 am
jespah wrote:
I checked your account, Thomas, and it's set to "always attach my signature" so that's not a problem. Is it possible that you're accidentally unchecking the Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile) box when you either post or edit a post?

It will not change automatically with an edit, but you might be accidentally unclicking, e. g. a stray click of the mouse and that might explain it.

Thanks for checking, Jespah. I guess it's possible that I accidentally uncheck every now and then. But wandeljw's observation is reproducible. I have observed the signature in my posts since I started this thread. And as it turns out,every time I edit, the signature goes away. Every time I don't edit, the signature stays. I very much doubt that I accidentally uncheck it every time I edit, and never uncheck it every time I don't edit.

But at least we've made progress. The disappearance is no longer "unpredictable".

EDIT: The signature line was there after I first submitted this post. Now I deliberately edit to see if the "attach my signature" checkbox is unchecked, and what happens with the post after I submit again. Looking at the list of checkboxes beneath the editing window, I notice that there no longer is an option "attach my signature". The option is there when I start a new post, but not when I edit one.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 12:57 am
Same happens/happened to me .... since I couple of weeks ago.*

(And I did the very same then what Thomas did.)

Got used to it by now :wink:

*Asked that at 12 Jul 2006 07:59 AM (ticket AEX-480524)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 01:54 am
Sounds like the preference isn't being handled correctly on edits. The bug will likely not be fixed (as development is focused on the new a2k) but you can workaround it by checking the 'attach signature' box when editing.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 09:14 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Sounds like the preference isn't being handled correctly on edits. The bug will likely not be fixed (as development is focused on the new a2k) but you can workaround it by checking the 'attach signature' box when editing.

No, I can't. As I said in my last post, there is no "attach signature" box to check when I edit.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 10:56 am
Setanta was commenting on this very annoyance during the week he last posted here.

Here a sig, there a sig, everywhere a sig sig. Or not.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 12:49 pm
Thomas wrote:

No, I can't. As I said in my last post, there is no "attach signature" box to check when I edit.

Hmm, you're right. But despite the lacking workaround this won't be addressed on this platform.
0 Replies