Psychology

shark

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 06:29 pm
Do you think psychology is a true science?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 537 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Letty

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 02:36 pm
Hey, shark, welcome to A2K. Are you a card shark or an ocean shark? <smile>

Well, Some branches of psychology do try to conform to measurement and rely on valid results such as the behaviorists, but as a whole, I would say that psychology is more of an art than a science.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 06:05 am
Most modern psychology is scientific, yes. The psychology they teach in universities is based on rigourously scientific research. Cognitive Psychology, Biological Psychology, and Developmental Psychology, for example, are all scientific disciplines.

But psychoanalysis, or Freudian psychology, is completely different. Freud produced hardly any scientific evidence to support his bizarre theories, and most experimental psychologists now don't take his stuff very seriously I think.

I suspect that people who accuse Psychology of not being a science have an out-dated view of it. Psychology is no longer dominated by psychoanalysts or behaviourists - I agree that it didn't used to be much of a science. But Experimental Psychology is now a major scientific field.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 07:19 am
Do you mean all Psychology or just Abnormal Psychology?
0 Replies