shark

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 06:24 pm
Is there any positive proof that the Bible is authentic?

If so, what is the proof?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 740 • Replies: 12
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 11:31 pm
Which bible is an authentic what?

Please clarify the question.

And welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 12:27 am
The only proof of the bible's authenticity is the bible itself.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 04:30 am
Re: The Bible
?
shark wrote:
Is there any positive proof that the Bible is authentic?

If so, what is the proof?

It is authentic in that of course, it was written, by someone. It is not a figment of our imagination. I don't think that that is what you really meant. Are you asking if the stuff written in the bible is true, or just a work written by the people of the times, with their insights and observations based on what they knew in those days?

There is not a shread of proof that the bible is not anything more than a compilation of myths, stories, hostory, rudimentary philosophy and ethics, written by primitive people, who perceived the world in a much less knowledgable and more naive way than we do today.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 08:55 am
Welcome to the forum, shark. I'm sure you will find it enlightening. As for whether the bible is God's word, many have died trying to preserve it and many have died as victims of its misrepresentation. But few will argue that the world would not be a better place if all heeded these words: "I am giving YOU a new commandment, that YOU love one another; just as I have loved YOU, that YOU also love one another. 35 By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love among yourselves." (John 13: 34,35)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 09:07 am
Quote:
There is not a shread of proof that the bible is not anything more than a compilation of myths, stories, hostory, rudimentary philosophy and ethics, written by primitive people, who perceived the world in a much less knowledgable and more naive way than we do today.

If it is true that primitive people, wrote the bible using history, philosophy and ethics...... this must have been through divine intervention...... primitive people would not be able to do this.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 09:18 am
Intrepid- In your opinion. There were many ancient cultures that were primitive by modern standards, but were still amazingly sophisticated.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 09:21 am
Everything written here is one or the others opinion.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 09:28 am
Quote:
Welcome to the forum, shark. I'm sure you will find it enlightening. As for whether the bible is God's word, many have died trying to preserve it and many have died as victims of its misrepresentation. But few will argue that the world would not be a better place if all heeded these words: "I am giving YOU a new commandment, that YOU love one another; just as I have loved YOU, that YOU also love one another. 35 By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love among yourselves." (John 13: 34,35)

First to neologist: Many ppl have died to preserve to koran, many ppl died in waco texas for the davidinans, many satanist died or there beliefs... so we need not respect everyone that dies for something.
But yes the bible does have some useful things in it.

Quote:
If it is true that primitive people, wrote the bible using history, philosophy and ethics...... this must have been through divine intervention...... primitive people would not be able to do this.

Next to intrepid: i believe ppl were fully capable of creating a religion with stories and myths. The ancient greeks made a fascinating religion more complex than christianity, the hindus have an incredibly ascent religion with thousands of gods and teachings, the egyptians had another complex religion. Here are a bunch of "acient primitive" cultures made by man. So christianity could be too.
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 09:28 am
neologist wrote:
Welcome to the forum, shark. I'm sure you will find it enlightening. As for whether the bible is God's word, many have died trying to preserve it and many have died as victims of its misrepresentation. But few will argue that the world would not be a better place if all heeded these words: "I am giving YOU a new commandment, that YOU love one another; just as I have loved YOU, that YOU also love one another. 35 By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love among yourselves." (John 13: 34,35)

You should've cut the quote short before it started talking about being Christian disciples.

Intrepid wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

It mustn't have been through any intervention. All of the philosophies that are good in the Bible were around before the Bible was, and all of the new philosophies presented in the Bible were extremely wrong or barbaric. Furthermore, you have blatantly misrepresented Phoenix's point about the history being mixed up with myth-making by excluding the entire myth portion. Mythological interpretations of history cannot, in any reasonable manner, be considered divine. If I argued that I got out of bed yesterday because I felt the presence of a water spirit in my veins that would not be divine, it would be mistaken. Divinity should not be confused with naivety.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 10:26 am
megamanXplosion wrote:
You should've cut the quote short before it started talking about being Christian disciples. . .
Well, the original post was in regard to the bible, of which Jesus is a rather significant part, no?
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 10:38 am
neologist wrote:
megamanXplosion wrote:
You should've cut the quote short before it started talking about being Christian disciples. . .
Well, the original post was in regard to the bible, of which Jesus is a rather significant part, no?

You claimed that only a few would argue the world would be better if all heeded those words. You included words about being the discriples of Jesus as a part that not many would argue against. I think Agnostics, Atheists, Buddhists, Hindus, Islamists, etc. would argue against that. Considering that they altogether outnumber the Christians they cannot be considered as "only a few." I was merely pointing out that your statement would've been accurate if you cut the quote shorter where it merely talked about loving one another.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 10:42 am
megamanXplosion wrote:
neologist wrote:
megamanXplosion wrote:

You claimed that only a few would argue the world would be better if all heeded those words. You included words about being the discriples of Jesus as a part that not many would argue against. I think Agnostics, Atheists, Buddhists, Hindus, Islamists, etc. would argue against that. Considering that they altogether outnumber the Christians they cannot be considered as "only a few." I was merely pointing out that your statement would've been accurate if you cut the quote shorter where it merely talked about loving one another.
Point taken. But those calling themselves 'christian' should be particularly ashamed.
0 Replies