Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 695 • Replies: 9
No top replies

kevnmoon

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 06:39 pm
Very good article.. Thanks..
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 08:26 pm
Very good and very biased. It doesn't mention anything about how abortion rates, teen pregnancy rates, STD infection rates, divorce rates, murder rates, child abuse rates, infant mortality rates, poverty rates, etc. tend to be higher in religious communities. And one would expect higher blood pressures in nonreligious people because they tend to be societal outcasts. Wear an American Atheists T-shirt or something similar out in public and see if your blood pressure doesn't raise! Even chimpanzees that are societal outcasts will have higher blood pressure. High blood pressure undoubtedly makes one seek smoking or something similar to calm the nerves. (Probably not in chimpanzees, of course.)

There is a stronger correlation between social acceptance and happiness than there is in religiosity and happiness.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 09:57 am
megamanXplosion wrote:
Very good and very biased. It doesn't mention anything about how abortion rates, teen pregnancy rates, STD infection rates, divorce rates, murder rates, child abuse rates, infant mortality rates, poverty rates, etc. tend to be higher in religious communities. And one would expect higher blood pressures in nonreligious people because they tend to be societal outcasts. Wear an American Atheists T-shirt or something similar out in public and see if your blood pressure doesn't raise! Even chimpanzees that are societal outcasts will have higher blood pressure. High blood pressure undoubtedly makes one seek smoking or something similar to calm the nerves. (Probably not in chimpanzees, of course.)

There is a stronger correlation between social acceptance and happiness than there is in religiosity and happiness.

Wow *aplause*. that was well done.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 10:34 am
Reading
0 Replies

paul andrew bourne

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:07 pm
An association, versus a determinant
By Paul Andrew Bourne

Prior to the Kuhn's scholarship on 'normal science', many scientist (i.e. natural) conceptualize the social science as a non-science because of its subjectivity and 'normativeness'. It conclusions are oftentimes interlinked, unpredictable and highly subjective.

This discourse is not long past as and social scientists continue to 'scientify' their discipline. The discipline is not limited to causal happenings. One of the difficulties in using modelling in social science is the hinderance of excluding other forces. One of the reasons for this is the inter-association between most social fact. In that, all social phenomena are associated (i.e. related) in some way or form. Hence, to say that a social event is associated with another is easily the case, but to conclude that this same variable is causal is taking the discourse at another level.

A number of variables constitute social acceptance; hence an association be it negative or positive must be stronger than single phenomenon. It is well documented that religion has a strong positive influence on happiness, subjective well-being.
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 05:19 am
Re: An association, versus a determinant
paul andrew bourne wrote:
It is well documented that religion has a strong positive influence on happiness, subjective well-being.

Only if you ignore abortion rates, teen pregnancy rates, STD infection rates, divorce rates, murder rates, child abuse rates, infant mortality rates, and poverty rates.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 05:26 am
Re: An association, versus a determinant
It is well documented that religion has a strong positive influence on happiness, subjective well-being.

Show me where!

What a laugh!

Have you been reading the "Spirituality & religion" threads? Do those people look happy?
0 Replies

paul andrew bourne

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 04:56 pm
The Answer is within the article
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 07:22 pm
Re: Religon And Its Influence On Subjective Well-being
By Paul Andrew Bourne

Hi

Religiosity

The name almost made me not even want to read the frist paragraph but I did, here are my comments about it.

From theologians' perspective, spirituality and religiosity are critical components in the lifespan of people.

Which theologians, who has ever said this? I have never heard this IN ANY CHURCH I have ever been to.
Which are as follows: moron, JW, baptist, pentecostal, and catholic.

They believe that man (including woman) cannot be completely whole without religion.

Again who is this mysterious THEY? Who has ever said this?

With this fundamental concept, theologians theorize that man cannot be happy, lowly depressed or feel comfortable without a balance of spirit and body (Whang 2006).

What fundamental concept?
All this seems to be is someone's UNinformed opinion of relgion. This Whang person has NO REF's to back his trully ABSURB statements? Comeon you surely do not listen to junk talk like this and believe it I hope?
0 Replies