My way of understanding the biblical genesis.

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:46 pm
Don't know if it's mine alone, but I like the idea. In this case it is basically an attempt to understand the genesis in a way that does not contradict modern science.

In broad strokes:
To me the word 'god' means 'EverythingAlways'. It is an abstract idea. Everything is part of 'god' in the same way that 'branch' and 'leaf' are part of 'tree'.
So 'god' is the trancendental notion of wholeness while 'creation' is 'fractures of god'. It is the same thing, only viewed differently.

Based on this, when the bible states 'god is omnipotent' I say sure.
Omnipresent, yep.
And so on...

'The lord works in mysterious ways', some christians like to say.

And thus he, or it, created adam. But to the modern rational mind it doesn't make sense that he created eve from adams body. So in my rationality I ask 'are there any creatures we know of that multiply in a way consistent with the genesis?'

Yes
Single celled organisms, amoebas.
The very first creatures to live on earth.
They multiply by cytogenesis, one springs from the body of another.

At the beginning of all life it is very possible that there was only one cell, one amoeba. And from this sprang the next. Adam and Eve.

And then there is the forbidden fruit. How could 'god' (as defined above) have forbid the primal creatures the gift of wisdom? I can think of an answer.

When we look at it through both darwinian eyes and biblical eyes, we see that the survival and evolution of primitive life is based of an indivisible progression of energy with no apparent consciousness apart from the energy itself. Plants and vegetation have this existence, and some animals.
Anything that doesn't possess a notion of self has this existence. This 'state of being' is what I would put in the word 'eden'.

Humans rebelled against this 'state of being' by inventing a concept of self. We see that other species are following behind. Research shows that apes retain, or can at least be taught, the concept of self.

When self arrived everything changed. 'God' and 'self' are conflicting concepts based on the above defifinition of 'god', and so when 'self' was born 'god' was forgotten. This is the core of the 'choice-determinism' problem, and part of the reason why the tale is still relevant.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 482 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Mindonfire

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:40 am
What you have just written is full of wisdom and insight. What many people do not understand is that God is not against science. The ignorant Christians who are parading around in the belief that God and science contradict are the reason why people have the idea that God and science contradict. They don't! When studying the creation story people forget to include time into the equation. There are a lot of scientific facts dealing with time, energy, and the workings of the universe which can be found in the Bible if One looks.
0 Replies