The first world map of happiness:Lykkelig Kongeriget Danmark

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 03:40 pm
According to a map built at the University of Leicester, UK, you have more chances to be happy if you're rich and in good health.

The map was built by aggregating the results of 100 studies from around the world, involving surveys of 80,000 people in 178 countries. This world map of happiness shows that it's better to live in Northern Europe than in Asia for example. In fact, you have more chances to be happy if you live in Denmark (rated #1) or Switzerland (#2) than in Zimbabwe (#177) or Burundi (#178).
Countries involved in conflicts, such as Iraq, were not included.

Adrian White, an analytical social psychologist at the University of Leicester: "Smaller countries tend to be a little happier because there is a stronger sense of collectivism and then you also have the aesthetic qualities of a country."

"We were surprised to see countries in Asia scoring so low, with China 82nd, Japan 90th, and India 125th. These are countries that are thought as having a strong sense of collective identity which other researchers have associated with well-being."

He admitted collecting data based on well-being was not an exact science, but said the measures used were very reliable in predicting health and welfare outcomes.

Regular studies by academics across the globe using the same tests would allow researchers to better understand what factors affected happiness and White said he hoped every country in the future would carry out bi-annual checks.

http://www.primidi.com/images/world_map_of_happiness.jpgHERE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 657 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 03:52 pm
Interesting. This study offers some contrary conclusions to this other study I was reading not long ago (I *think* it was posted by nimh), which showed there is no statistically significant relationship between wealth and happiness.

Also, if countries that are in conflict are to be excluded, than I would object having Zimbabwe on the list of studied countries. While it's not an open civil war just yet, it is pretty damn close. Then again, I've no clue about methods they used.... just musing here. Interesting idea for a study anyways.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 04:38 pm
Oh, rich AND in good health. I've only been doing the one.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 05:19 pm
Where does one sign up for this rich and good health lifestyle?
0 Replies

xguymontagx

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 06:07 am
Of course being Wealthy helps you be happy.

Wealth can't buy happiness.

but the idea that wealth doesn't contribute to happiness is a myth created by rich people to help placate poor people.

Just look at health care alone. The more money I have then the more I can afford medical care which means I won't get sick as often, will be more comfortable and sick for a shorter time when ill, and I;m less likely to die becuase of the flu.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 06:27 am
I consider this a suspect because I have simply never met a happy Swiss. What a bunch of grumblers!

The only Danes I know are a handful of chefs, and chefs are not usually happy people either. Not grumblers like the Swiss, more the brooding types that erupt into sudden violence (typically involving a cleaver and many vegetables).

Now, of who else can I make sweeping assessments? :wink:

I got a giggle from this --

Quote:
2. UK comes 41st out of 178 countries.

3. UK doing better than most of our similar neighbours and competitors

-- which sounds like some kind of weak justification. Sort of a "it's okay folks, we're quite mediocre but at least we're happier than the French". Not very good, I'd say. According to the map, it's better to live in Bhutan or Oman than UK.

All in all, an interesting bit, Walter.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 06:37 am
More a bit interesting, I think.

(Quite funny that I never met a Danish chef - although living for some time quite close to the border - but a lot of ordinary Danish ... which seem to be quite happy, I must says.)
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 06:43 am
Maybe it's more of a chef thing than a Danish thing. Very Happy

(I notice that you didn't contradict me about the Swiss!)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 06:45 am
I'm neutral like the Swiss here ...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 06:46 am
As an aside: I'm drilled not to contradict ladies ...
0 Replies

xguymontagx

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 07:04 am
Perhaps the chefs are happy in thier misery?
0 Replies