Uday Hussein's Lions

Noddy24

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 02:24 pm
This story was circulated in Reuter's Planet Ark newsletter.

http://www.planetark.org/avantgo/dailynewsstory.cfm?newsid=20940

Briefly, so as not to slow down browsers, a lioness, two yearling lions and six cubs, formerly owned by Uday Hussein in a private zoo, are going to be relocated to "Sun Wild" a sanctuary in northern Limpopo province where two other lions have already be returned to the wild.

Once the lions have adapted to bush conditions they will be relocated to Ngome Community Game Reserve in southern Kwazulu-Natal province.

I'll post the entire story on the next entry so as not to slow down browsers.

From what I've read of Uday Hussein's unpleasant interpersonal skills, he strikes me as the sort of man who would have had a jolly good time playing Islamic Colleseum or "Muslims and Lions".

Of course if my supposition is correct, the animals are innocent (just doing what comes naturally) and the Ngome community Game Reserve may be miles away from civilization.

Or this might be a P.R. scheme to make the reserve less hospitable to poachers.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,756 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 02:25 pm
As promised:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JOHANNESBURG - Lions once kept in a private zoo by the son of former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein will be moved out of Baghdad to start a new life in the South African bush, animal welfare groups said.
The animals, a lioness and her six cubs and two year-old lions, will be relocated to two different South African game reserves in the hope they will form new prides.

"Lions never lose their instinct to hunt. But they have to get fit first," said Louise Joubert, founder of the SanWild Wildlife Trust.

"Any animal would be traumatised by what happened in Baghdad. But what better way for them to recuperate from trauma than in the wild bush."

U.S. troops in April rescued the lions, along with two cheetahs and a blind bear, from a private zoo that Saddam Hussein's eldest son, Uday, had established in one of Baghdad's presidential palaces.

Uday, known for his love of fierce animals, fast cars and beautiful women, has owned several lions, tigers and cheetahs, some of them gifts from friendly foreign governments.

Like his father, Uday disappeared during the U.S.-led invasion. But the plight of Uday's menagerie has continued to concern animal welfare groups, which have also sought to restore Baghdad's main zoo after it was looted in the mayhem after Saddam's rule collapsed.

Barbara Maas, chief executive of the British-based charity Care for the Wild International, said she persuaded zoo officials and U.S. military authorities to approve relocation of the animals after a recent trip to Baghdad.

Even though Uday's pets had been moved to Baghdad's main zoo, the conditions were there still dire, she said.

"I have never seen anything like it. There were flies everywhere," Maas said in a telephone interview. "Nearly all the infrastructure has been stripped out, everything from fuse boxes to door handles."

The lions are expected to arrive in South Africa as early as next month, while the bear will be sent to a reserve in Greece, she said. The cheetahs - nearly tame - will stay in Baghdad.

Joubert said the lions would start at SanWild, a sanctuary in northern Limpopo province which has already re-introduced two captive lions to the wild. The lioness and her cubs will later be relocated to Ngome Community Game Reserve in southern Kwazulu-Natal province.

Maas said hopes were high the lions would quickly adapt to conditions in the bush. "In Uday's palace they were occasionally fed with live prey - goats and sheep - so it is possible they already know how to kill," she said.

Story by Andrew Quinn

Story Date: 27/5/2003

All Contents
© Reuters News Service 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out Planet Ark on the web
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 02:26 pm
Noddy, got to agree with you on the Muslims and Lions game thing there from the little I knkow of the man...might just be the good thing to do for all invovled.
Its always great when animals are able to return to their natural environment with harmony.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 06:12 pm
Thanks for that link/article Noddy!
0 Replies