Show and Tell

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 08:43 pm
I've never really thought about it before... what is the didactic purpose of Show and Tell? What do we hope kids will get out of it? Is it to get them comfortable talking to other kids, or talking in front of other people? To get their creative juices flowing by making them think about why they like their possessions? I'm curious.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,327 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Stormwatch

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 04:35 pm
Show and tell has many purposes. One is to improve public speaking abilities. Some children don't often get the opportunity to have an an audience's undivided attention to talk about something that is near and dear to their hearts.

When show and tell is handled correctly in a classrooom, and not just a "show my favorite toy" time, it can be very educational. In the school I teach at "show and tell" is called "share and teach" . The children need to plan in advance what they are going to bring in, what they want others to know about it and then remember to bring it to class to share, when it is their scheduled turn. This teaches planning and responsibility.

It also fosters classroom community, allowing all children to contribute and appreciate other's contributions.

As a teacher, it allows me to get to know my student's individual interests. This is also a time when children have time to just get off their minds something special that they need to share, and then get back to focussing on academic time.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 07:03 am
Interesting. Do you give them general guidelines on what they should or shouldn't bring in?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 08:20 am
One of my sons treated Show & Tell as an occasion for ad libbing. The other came prepared. Both enjoyed Fridays because of Show & Tell.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 08:43 am
There are many things that can be learned from show and tell. The most obvious is getting used to public speaking. Another to is learn to (although it is very basic) research; organize their "speech" and preparation. For example my daughter had a "project" in first grade - it was to give a presentation on some where they visited. They had to write a few sentences about it (to prepare on what they would speak about - basic research on some specific questions about their visit); they had to put together a poster with pictures and decorate for presentation. On the day of the presentation, parents were invited and each child had their poster in the front while they described each picture and answered questions.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 10:02 am
ooooohhh....I absolutely LOVED show and tell.

I loved seeing what other kids would bring. It made me feel like I was learning something about THEM personally.

I still remember my first show and tell, and I guess it set the stage for my overall experience.

This one boy, Neil was absolutely enthralled with what I'd brought, and afterwards asked if he could try it, and where his mom could buy one. Funny thing, it was just one of those coloring books where when you put water on the page, it colored it in. This was back in kindergarden, I ended up going to school with Neil for the next 16 years, and always liked him.

Neil was always really smart and funny and very popular, so it made me feel "worthy"

If only for that, I think show and tell is worth it.

"share and teach"? wow, I'm not so sure I'd have taken to that...sounds to edumacational....showing and telling was fun.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 10:23 am
Show & Tell is the capitalists way of showing the world that they are superior! The "have's" vs the "have nots"! It's a child early training that it's better to be rich than to be poor! It creates havoc in the minds of poor children when they have to show a dead rat when the rich kids get to show daddy's $35 million dollar bank book! Let's rid the world of the tryannical "Show & Tell" before it destroys the moral fabric of every child in America! Who's with me???
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 12:50 pm
The silence is deafening.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 12:56 pm
look at my face nick...

can't you tell you have taken away my one good childhood memory?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 01:20 pm
I'm sorry Chait but I am speaking for the future of humanity! The future of America! I envision a land in which people are judged not on their possessions but on the content of their character! A land of True Equality! I have a DREAM today!

Sorry. Got carried away.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 01:37 pm
Quote:
I'm sorry Chait but I am speaking for the future of humanity! The future of America! I envision a land in which people are judged not on their possessions but on the content of their character! A land of True Equality! I have a DREAM today!

You speak the truth, brother. Now quit hogging the G.I. Joe's and let us play with them too!
0 Replies

Stormwatch

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 02:08 pm
NickFun wrote:
Show & Tell is the capitalists way of showing the world that they are superior! The "have's" vs the "have nots"! It's a child early training that it's better to be rich than to be poor! It creates havoc in the minds of poor children when they have to show a dead rat when the rich kids get to show daddy's $35 million dollar bank book! Let's rid the world of the tryannical "Show & Tell" before it destroys the moral fabric of every child in America! Who's with me???

Apparently you didn't have fun in school until you took an Economy class!

Show and Tell doesn't have to be sharing expensive toys and things. It can be about sharing personal experiences. It all depends on what parameters the teacher places on it. The best "Show and Tell" I have witnessed was a child who visited her grandmother at the beach and brought back enough seashells for her whole class. She shared where she went and what beaches she visited ( geography) as well as researched what kind of shells they were ( science) and it was all at no cost $$ !!
0 Replies