Best Concert You Ever Went To?

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 08:27 am
Farm Aid 2005 sound rock n roll, who played at that sublime 1?

x
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 08:46 am
Buddy Guy is fabulous! Very Happy
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 09:13 pm
Dorothy Parker wrote:
Farm Aid 2005 sound rock n roll, who played at that sublime 1?

x

Lineup Included: Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, Neil Young, Dave Matthews, Arlo Guthrie, Buddy Guy, Congressman Collin Peterson and the Second Amendments, Drew Davis Band, Elizabeth Rainey, Emmylou Harris, James McMurtry, Jimmy Sturr & His Orchestra, John Mayer, Kate Voegele, Kathleen Edwards, Kenny Chesney, Los Lonely Boys, Shannon Brown, Supersuckers, Susan Tedeschi, Widespread Panic, and Wilco.

I was one of the few that appreciated "Alices Restaurant" in its 20 minute entirety, Panic was awesome, Buddy's set was short but great and he played with John Mayer (Damn right eoe has the blues Smile ) I was happy to finally see Wilco live, Susan Tedeschi has as much soul as anyone that has ever sang the blues. Willie, Mellencamp, and Young were phenomenal. The only downside was Dave Matthews, he played solo and was not very impressive. I enjoy his music but his rendition of All Along the Watch Tower must have had Jimi spinning in his grave.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 01:27 am
Knebworth,can't remember the year Embarrassed It started with Status Quo,later the Beach Boys,ending up with Queen Very Happy
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 01:52 am
Bella Dea wrote:
kev wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
The Stones are R&B? Since when?

Since 1962, you sound like a young person who probably thinks that Britney Spears is R&B

Britney Spears wouldn't know R&B if if it bit her arse

Britney Spears? I sound like a young person?

Are you joking? Do you know what R&B is? It's Rhythm and Blues, which originally was a combination of jazz, blues and gospel (it's since changed, unfortunatly). But the real R&B, the ORIGINAL R&B was "race music" as it were called. In the 60's, R&B added soul music to it's mix.

In a long forgotten interview,Ray Charles regretted the term R&B.He would have prefered Rhythm and Gospel.And that's a man I ain't gonna argue with Cool
His baton,IMHO,is still being carried by Al Green.I saw him at The Royal Albert Hall this year.I can now die a happy man Cool
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:13 am
Saw Rev. Green a few times back in his heyday. Good God did he put on a show!! He would throw roses from the stage and I'm telling you, women clawed each other for a few petals. He was truly electrifying!
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:15 am
yeah love Al Green. Never seen him live though. Anyone seen Otis?

x
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 03:24 am
eoe wrote:
Saw Rev. Green a few times back in his heyday. Good God did he put on a show!! He would throw roses from the stage and I'm telling you, women clawed each other for a few petals. He was truly electrifying!

He still does and they still do :wink:
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 07:41 am
Funny...just the other day my closest friend brought up, to another group of friends, the time we went to see Al Green, mid-to-late 70's maybe, and I managed to talk one of the roadies into giving me the plastic cup left onstage that Al had drank orange juice from. Still had pulp in it. And I licked the rim. Laughing

Unfortunately, I no longer have that cup. I should have boxed it in acrylic!! Mad Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 09:30 am
Asleep at the Wheel at the Ontario Place Forum. Late 1970's.

Everything was perfect that night.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 09:55 am
Stones, Hollywood Bowl, 1966; Joan Baez, San Diego Sports Arena, probably 1971.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 10:00 am
The Who in Portland, OR (1976)

Ramones (1978)

E. Costello (ditto)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 12:06 pm
Here's my question...
HOW MANY OF THESE ARTISTS' WERE ACTUALLY PERFORMING LIVE? :wink:
Probably all shows mentioned here that we saw before 1985 were actually live and not lip sync'd, I'd say.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 02:46 pm
eoe wrote:
Here's my question...
HOW MANY OF THESE ARTISTS' WERE ACTUALLY PERFORMING LIVE? :wink:
Probably all shows mentioned here that we saw before 1985 were actually live and not lip sync'd, I'd say.

I don't think any legitimate rock band is going to lip sync. That's left up to the boy bands and Brittney Spears of the world.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 04:22 pm
Seems to me that Madonna is the culprit, starting in the early 80's, behind the trend to lip sync during "live" performances. Whaddaya think? Any one between her and...does anyone remember the big mess in the 50's concerning a performer, an Italian (I think) male vocalist, lip syncing during a live performance on tv? He was like a second-rate Tony Bennett or something. I can't remember his name...
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:27 am
eoe wrote

[/QUOTE]Here's my question...
HOW MANY OF THESE ARTISTS' WERE ACTUALLY PERFORMING LIVE?
Quote:

Prince would NEVER do that.

x
0 Replies