Best Concert You Ever Went To?

eoe

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 09:57 am
Some ripped off, some paid homage and gave due. The Stones are/were one of the latter.

Dorothy, I never saw Maxwell live but I just started playing "Embrya" again. Love it.

I've seen alot of shows. It's so hard to narrow it down. James Brown, Sting, Prince, the Stones, Sade, Tina, Aretha. To name a few.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 10:10 am
best concert youve ever been to
Wow, you've seen some really cool people live. Would love to have seen Aretha and James Brown.

Aaah yes and of course Prince, goes without saying really doesnt it?

Last time I saw him live wasa really small venue which was cool and he had that sax player Candy Dulfer in his band.

x
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 10:31 am
hmm best concert
I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan about 6 months before he died (around 1989 or '90). He performed with Jeff Beck. Now that's one memorable concert.

I saw Jeff Beck around 1977 or so, right after the Blow by Blow album

Let's see. I saw the Yardbirds with Jimmy Page somewhere around 1966.

Saw Jimi Hendrix with Experience in 1967.

There's were the ones that are stand-outs in my mind.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 11:28 am
I'd give my babytoe, left foot, to have seen Hendrix.
As some of you know from past threads, he was my very first crush. Very Happy
0 Replies

Sue Brag

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 12:03 pm
May i just add I Iove Jimmi Hendrix!!

xx
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 12:42 pm
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer - Works Orchestral Tour, Olympic Stadium, Montreal, August 1977.

Recorded live, it's one of their best albums.

More recently, Jazz Fest, New Orleans - no one act in particular, the entire experience.

If I had to pick a couple favorites from this year it would be Herbie Hancock, Sonny Landreth, Dr Michael Ward, Etta James, Bob Dylan, Allen Toussaint with Elvis Costello the subdudes, and others.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 12:43 am
Bella Dea wrote:
kev wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
The Stones are R&B? Since when?

Since 1962, you sound like a young person who probably thinks that Britney Spears is R&B

Britney Spears wouldn't know R&B if if it bit her arse

Britney Spears? I sound like a young person?

Are you joking? Do you know what R&B is? It's Rhythm and Blues, which originally was a combination of jazz, blues and gospel (it's since changed, unfortunatly). But the real R&B, the ORIGINAL R&B was "race music" as it were called. And hardly the Stones.

R&B existed long before the Stones. They may have used R&B elements but they sure weren't an R&B group. I'd never term them as so. Take a gander at any music store and you'll see them under Rock. And rightly so, IMO.

In the 60's, R&B added soul music to it's mix. I wouldn't call the Stones soul either. The longer R&B was around, the more mixed up it became. Today, R&B artists are hardly R&B artists. They are hip hop. But unfortunatly, people don't know the difference.

If you can prove me wrong, please do so. Or would you like me to continue educating you on the history of R&B?

You are very amusing Bella, after 50 years of listening to R@B I know what it sounds like Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 03:24 am
De La Soul - 1989

x
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 05:55 am
Thanks for being amused...

If you've listened to it for 50 years, then you must know that the Stones aren't an R&B group, right? :wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 06:19 am
I saw Hendrix myself.. at Merriweather Post Pavillion... they'd been thrown off the famous "Dracula meets Snow White" Mionkees tour.

I once opened for Van Halen as the regional human sacrifice act and although it was a typical Roth era Van Halen show... which was very good indeed... the memorable part was the after show party. Yee Haw!!!!!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 07:28 am
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/482/genimagemc7.png

'scuse me while i kiss the sky...

By the way, who said that the Stones are r&b???? Seems like someone got twisted around somewhere (maybe me?) because I can't find who originally said such a thing.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 07:40 am
kev wrote:
Tina Turner greatest rock singer of all time, and I say that as one who has seen the Beatles three times, and the stones twice. (OK the stones are R&B but you know what I mean)

eoe, here.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 07:41 am
oh...yikes! Shocked
0 Replies

deezee

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 09:03 am
don't know that i can narrow it down to just one as i've probably been to 1,000's but

1. alan freed's big beat show in the spring 1958 with buddy holly and the crickets, chuck berry and jerry lee lewis amongst others. my first concert ever and the reason i went to all the ones that followed. i wanted more of THAT.

2. the beatles at carnegie hall on feb 12 1964 the early show. no explanation necessary. don't know if i can even call it a concert as we hardly heard any of the actual music..but the highly charged atmosphere made it the most exciting show i've ever been to. i did get to 4 more of their concerts including shea stadium in 1965 but this was the first and the best.

3. bruce springsteen at the bottom line august 1975. i went to all 10 (2 a night for 5 nights) so it's hard to remember which one was which. but he blew the socks off of everyone at these show.

and way too many more to even begin to think about.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 09:09 am
WOW!!
Where have YOU been?? We've been waiting for ya! Very Happy
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 09:13 am
In high school, my friend's dad was driving a few of us to a Winger show. His car broke down, and we never made it.

Now you all can throw these names around like "Jimi Hendrix," and "The Beatles," and "Pink Floyd." But if I ever made it to see Kip Winger and crue...WATCH OUT!
0 Replies

deezee

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 09:19 am
eoe wrote:
WOW!!
Where have YOU been?? We've been waiting for ya! Very Happy

lol

well i'm OLD so i work a lot. i've been home waiting for a repairman or i wouldn't be online.

btw...i saw jimi at the cafe wha? in greenwich village (i grew up there) in 1966 as jimmy james and the blue flames. i had to be reminded of this at a high school reunion because i didn't remember that at all! we saw everyone there (and the other clubs at the time..the night owl/cafe au go go/etc etc) before they were well known. i also saw the historic hendrix late show at the fillmore east on new years eve. my friend's older sister used to work with the joshua light show so we got backstage a lot.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 10:17 am
Saw Depeche Mode recently, they were excellent.

x
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 10:24 am
I could count the ones I've been to on my fingers. The ones I liked best were Bob Dylan/Long Beach, California, at the time Highway 61 Revisited was at the height of popularity.

The very first, Conway Twitty, was considered rock at the start of his career. I liked the first half very much, but the second half he went hard core country. At that time of my life, not what I wanted to hear.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 10:32 am
Liquid Soul and Bubby Guy at Legends

Slayer at the Aragon when they played the entire Reign In Blood album as an encore

Buddy Guy and Johnny Lang at Ravinia in 2005, They team up for "Feels Like Rain" as a tribute to New Orleans after the hurricane.

Farm Aid 2005
0 Replies