@edgarblythe,
He was a talented actor.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 07:00 pm
Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 01:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
Don't know Mary Wells, but that's a great story of two lovers.

New Mexico Bill Richardson has reportedly been mulling over giving a posthumous pardon to Wild West outlaw Billy the Kid
Wild West gunslinger Billy the Kid may get a posthumous pardon from New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson, according to published reports on Friday.

Billy the Kid, who was most likely born Henry McCarty in 1859, was shot down by lawman Pat Garrett, who was tracking the famous outlaw.

Richardson's decision has cause ire among the modern-day descendents of Garret, who claim that Billy the Kid was a violent and viscous outlaw who murdered people, reported the Associated Press.

Marty Robbins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DIFiHqNkt0
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 03:03 pm
That's a good one by Marty. From what I have read of Billy the Kid, I would not consider a pardon. Particularly for his jail escape, which if memory is correct resulted in a dead man. (In the movie of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, it's a deputy and the song Knocking on Heaven's Door was here introduced). Another negative for the kid comes from a Dylan song about him, if true:

So hold on to your woman if you've got one
Remember once in El Paso you shot one

admittedly, my reading about the Kid and Pat Garrett have been muddled by images from movies, most of which are in great part fantasies built around a few facts.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 04:44 pm
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 07:52 am
@Letty,
I was simply going to tell you that Mary Wells was a sort of founding voice of the Motown sound that included the Supremes, the Four Tops, The Temptations and Smokey Robinson, but, I decided to look her up.

The poor woman had serious health problems throughout her life from spinal meningitis contracted as a toddler to tuberculosis and finally cancer. She started singing as a child to comfort herself. By the age of 10, she was performing professionally.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 02:09 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2010 05:29 pm
plainoldme

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2010 08:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
There was an interesting piece on NPR this weekend, perhaps on Saturday, about advertising and mass media and civil rights. The piece was inspired by an exhibition on the same subjects. the narrator, a veteran of Freedom Summer, was dubious before seeing the exhibit but came away feeling like the museum was on the right track.

I bring this up because part of the show featured Ed Sullivan and all the black performers who appeared on his program. Sullivan provided one of the first mainstream platforms for blacks.

I also loved Harry Belafonte's appearances. He would sing Scarlet Ribbons (my favorite from his repertoire) or John Henry or Venezuela or that Yellow Bird song or Day-O.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2010 08:47 pm
I remember particularly the time Harry held out until Ed Sullivan gave him 20 minutes of air time on his show.
Letty

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 11:24 am
@edgarblythe,
My favorites by you were Tex Ritter and Harry Belafonte, edgar.

I love this one, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k6TaQKnIUE&feature=fvw
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 11:29 am
@Letty,
I have that Garfunkle song on a vinyl album, letty. He sings the whole album like that; incredibly beautiful.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 03:21 pm

Vine Street by Van Dyke Parks
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 03:32 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 12:02 pm
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Song Cycle

Studio album by Van Dyke Parks
Released November 1968
Genre Baroque pop
Psychedelic pop
Length 32:39
Label Warner Bros.
Producer Lenny Waronker
Professional reviews
Allmusic link
Rolling Stone (Not Rated) link

Van Dyke Parks chronology
Song Cycle
(1968) Discover America
(1972)

Song Cycle is a 1968 album by Van Dyke Parks, known for its high ambition, gigantic budget for the era (it is still one of the most expensive albums ever made allowing for inflation[1]), and subsequent low sales. The title is a reference to the genre of the Song Cycle.

The album's material explores unconventional song structures, and reflects a diverse range of Americana influences. The subjects of many songs, on the other hand, are Southern California locales, including Laurel Canyon Boulevard, Vine Street and Palm Desert.

The album was backed by producer Lenny Waronker, who placed Parks' musical freedom over budgetary constraints. The album made early use of eight track recording.

In response to the poor sales of the record after its release (despite some rave critical reviews), Warner Bros. Records ran full page newspaper and magazine advertisements that said they "lost $35,509 on 'the album of the year' (dammit)." The ad said that those who actually purchased the album had likely worn their copies out by playing it over and over, and suggested that listeners send in worn out copies to Warner Bros. in return for two new copies, including one "to educate a friend with."

Many musicians cite the album as an influence, including producer and songwriter Jim O'Rourke.[2] O'Rourke worked with Parks and harpist Joanna Newsom on Newsom's record Ys. Joanna Newsom sought out the partnership with Van Dyke Parks after listening to Song Cycle.[3]

[edit] Track listing
All tracks composed by Van Dyke Parks, except where indicated
"Vine Street" (Randy Newman) – 3:40
"Palm Desert" – 3:07
"Widow's Walk" – 3:13
"Laurel Canyon Blvd" – 0:28
"The All Golden" – 3:46
"Van Dyke Parks" (public domain) – 0:57
"Public Domain" – 2:34
"Donovan's Colours" (Donovan Leitch) – 3:38
"The Attic" – 2:56
"Laurel Canyon Blvd" – 1:19
"By the People" – 5:53
"Pot Pourri" – 1:08
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 04:06 pm
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 05:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
Van Dyke Parks will be performing in my neighborhood fairly soon, 1 October.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 05:11 pm
@plainoldme,
I am trying to get people to like Van Dyke Parks. So far, not much reaction. Song Cycle is one of my top favorite albums.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 06:22 pm
My favorite story-song is Bob Dylan's "Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts." Here is Joan Baez's live performance of that song:

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 07:07 pm
@wandeljw,
I love that one, too. There was talk of a movie based on that, but it never came to pass.