Songs That Tell Stories

plainoldme

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 08:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
There are a lot of songs that would make great movies. I love, love, love Richard Thompson whose songs "Bee's Wing" and "Vincent Black Lightning 52" would make great movies.

I considered taking on Bee's Wing myself. I can see how Red Molly would be costumed.

Have those songs appeared here?
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 01:57 am
"Vincent" has (including the bluegrass version, where they go down to Nashville, rather than Box Hill)
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 02:11 am
"Bees wing" is spectacular, Thompson's a master of the bittersweet. He's apparently back in the States now, doing a $5-8-suggested-donation concert outdoors at Prescott Park in Portsmouth, NH, a lovely place on a summer's evening, Aug. 27.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 02:23 am
The group Red Molly took their name from the woman in "1952 Vincent Black Lightning". I think they wear it well. Here's a sort of a story song from them

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 07:23 am
Sozlet likes a guy named Red Sovine, who I'd never heard of ("Mom, Red Sovine!" Um, yeah, sorry) who is evidently the "king of the narrations."
Letty

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 08:14 am
@sozobe,
Wonder if sozlet knows this one, Mama Soz.

http://deadlinescotland.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/blue-the-greyfriars-bobby-dog.jpg

The Ballad of Greyfriars Bobby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkQyRgpE5p4
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 09:51 am
sozobe, if sozlet is cool with ghost stories, here's one from Red Sovine, who was indeed king of narrations--don't know who animated the truck:
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 09:59 am
thanks. letty, i'd never heard of the Real McKenzies, watched a couple of their videos, they seem to have picked up the torch from the Pogues.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 10:09 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

There are a lot of songs that would make great movies. I love, love, love Richard Thompson whose songs "Bee's Wing" and "Vincent Black Lightning 52" would make great movies.

I considered taking on Bee's Wing myself. I can see how Red Molly would be costumed.

Have those songs appeared here?

If they have, it would be in the pre youtube days.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 10:12 am
So many great videos. Thanks everybody. I am having computer problems just now. I will have to come back to watch later on after the problems are resolved.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 07:00 pm
Richard Thompson and Red Molly are very good.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 07:02 pm
The Greyfriars Bobby song is pretty good, too. I have never seen the film or read the book.
I recall Red Sovine's songs very well. My fave by him is hard to find: Go Hide John.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 07:04 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 04:34 am
plainoldme

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 04:54 am
@edgarblythe,
Did you watch Spike Jones' variety show back in the early days of television?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 05:43 am
@plainoldme,
No, didn't get an opportunity to watch.
Letty

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 11:14 am
@edgarblythe,
Scarborough Fair.

http://www.diddilydeedotsdreamland.zoomshare.com/files/Ireland/scarborough_fair.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIoGOgqs_20

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 11:40 am
Scarborough Fair has to be one of the best songs ever.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 12:09 pm

MTA
by the Kingston Trio
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 09:08 pm
re: "Charlie and the MTA", that was actually originaqlly a campaign song for George O'Brien, the Progressive candidate for Mayor of Boston in something like 1948. He never stood a chance. One of his campaign platforms was to roll back the fare increase from 10cents to 15. It's risen 2000% since 1948. I retraced some of his route today, from Harvard Square thru Kendall Square (MIT), where he boardeded, to the Scollay Square station, where his wife handed him his nightly sandwich. Scollay Square was the site of what passed for decadence in Boston in '48, wherre the burlesque houses and dive bars were. Then they bulldozed it, and it's now the Government Center stop, where the feds and Boston city government are headquarted (okie and ican would maintain that means it's still the center of decadence).

That Kingston Trio song turned me on to folk music, and I've been a folkie ever since. Thanks, ed.