Secret Religious Societies

shark

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 09:06 pm
What do you think of secret religious societies?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 923 • Replies: 11
No top replies

neologist

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 09:25 pm
Stupid me. I didn't know any existed. Must be a pretty good secret, eh?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 09:42 pm
I believe he refers to the Unitarian Jihad, and secret it is.
0 Replies

selfruled

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 11:59 pm
Re: Secret Religious Societies
shark wrote:

Are you talking about the ones with the "secret" handshake and stuff? Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 05:44 am
shark wrote:

So long as they are not interfering with my life, I have no problem with them. People in a free society are able to communicate, join with, and socialize with whomever they want.

Personally I think that the entire basis of religion is silly, and that secret societies in general smack of sophomoric togetherness, but that is simply my opinion. If anyone wants to join a secret religious society, it is their right, no matter what I think of it.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 02:53 am
The Roman Catholic Church itself keeps many secrets, including exactly how it's leadership is elected. That would by some definitions make it a secret religious society.

I certainly think they are a lot more dangerous than any secret religious society I'm not aware of.

I think there's a chance that the Roman Catholic Church is essentially atheistic at the top....certainly they have slowly moved towards that position openly and publicly over the centuries (albeit much more slowly than the rest of the world), but that's a whole other topic.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 09:16 am
Secret Religious societys?....hmmm.... you mean cults. I dont know why ppl looks down on them, just b/c there not mainstream? Well Christianity was once a cult, i mean listen to it..."let us take the blood and body of our father!....[/B[i]]symbolized in grape juice and bread[/i].

All religions are the same, if you want to have a Secret Religious Society go ahead, your taking what you believe in a new way, i congradulate you.
0 Replies

selfruled

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 11:03 am
Eorl wrote:
The Roman Catholic Church itself keeps many secrets, including exactly how it's leadership is elected. That would by some definitions make it a secret religious society.

I certainly think they are a lot more dangerous than any secret religious society I'm not aware of.

I think there's a chance that the Roman Catholic Church is essentially atheistic at the top....certainly they have slowly moved towards that position openly and publicly over the centuries (albeit much more slowly than the rest of the world), but that's a whole other topic.

Eorl:

I've written extensively on this "atheistic" theory of yours. I trust we'll be able to discuss it in another thread some other time.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 09:28 pm
Yep, I'm up for it. Sounds like you should start the thread.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 10:26 pm
Get it on, self!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 10:31 pm
shark wrote:

Do you mean Democrats or Republicans or both?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 10:34 pm
Laughing
0 Replies