What does this say?

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 11:25 am
I attended a conference last week at which one the presenters -- who now teaches in the Cal State system -- presented a case of a student at a small college in Wisconsin, where the presenter received her PhD.

While writing her dissertation, this young prof taught at a small college outside Madison. During a summer course for marginal students (note) who were there to bolster their preparedness, she encountered a young woman who wanted to know about the Civil War.

The prof did a quick summary, after which the student asked, who won?

Could this be a particularly thick person or one who suffers from some inability to recall items verbally or is she indicative of education in Wisconsin?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 738 • Replies: 7
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:05 pm
I only know of one person from Wisconsin. I didn't know there were others.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:16 pm
It says we really need to work on our elementary and primary school systems.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:23 pm
I was once witness to an undergraduate course in which the professor asked if the students could think of major wars in which America and England were close alllies; one student responded, "The Revolutionary War."
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:24 pm
Oh yes NickFun!

There are several people in Wisconsin!

I knew someone there who didn't know the layout of the U.S. very well.

It started when he told me he had been to Fla once, but couldn't tell me which coast. As we talked somehow Hawaii came up and he wanted to know how to get there.

I told him if he drove West a couple of thousand miles, he would get to the Pacific Ocean..then, if he took a boat and went 3 thousand more miles, he'd get to Hawaii.

He asked me in all seriousness..."If I got there, do you think they'd let me get off the boat and look around?"

OK OK, this has nothing to do with people from Wisconsin...he just happened to live there.

In Okeechobee Fla. I worked at a nursing home...the girl that would take residents out shopping on the bus was supposed to take them over to Fort Worth, directly East maybe an hour... Somehow she ended up halfway to Tallahassee.

She got so shaken up and afraid. Turns out she'd never left Okeechobee in her life, except a few times over to the coast.

Now the guy, he was admittedly a little slow, but I'll tell you what, he could build you a great house for damn sure.

The woman in the bus? She was really quiet intelligent, was up on current events, she just had everything she needed there and wasn't much interested in where other things were physically.

Everybody's different. Wouldn't it be horrible if we were all the same?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 01:04 pm
Actually, I think it is partially a matter of this student being an idiot. Remember, these kids were in a remedial get-ready-for-college program.

Also, a detail that I did not relate in the story was that the parents of most of these kids elected to send them to the small Catholic liberal arts school -- which was 20 minutes by bus from Madison -- rather than to the State University, which is among the top schools in the country. That 20 minutes made all the difference!

And now, for a geography story from Europe. When my daughter was an au pair in France, and would ride the commuter rail and the subway, she and her friends would attract male attention. In Europe, the first question is where are you from. She would answer Denmark. Many but not all the men would say, "Oh! the capital of Holland!" Ba-da-da-ching!
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 03:40 pm
I used to work with a fellow who had been in the Army in Viet Nam during the "conflict" there. He assured me that Viet Nam is an island south of Australia...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 08:41 am
Wy -- That sounds like post-traumatic stress syndrome or sheer idiocy.
0 Replies