What is the VIEWS Column?

Alan

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 07:32 pm
Am I missing something? I have just joined and cannot work it out.
Thanks in advance

Alan
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,474 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 07:37 pm
Hi Alan. Welcome to the community. The views column shows the number of times someone has opened your post to view it. It lets you know that people are lurking to read even if they are too shy to say something. Wink
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 07:53 pm
Hi Alan and welcome. Saw your message but I see Butrflynet has already answered. Enjoy yourself. There's a lot of fun and knowledge here.
0 Replies

Alan

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 08:05 pm
Thank you
Thanks for replying, my first time communicating online.

Trivial but exciting .

Alan
0 Replies

Alan

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 08:07 pm
Thank you
Thank you anyway.

My first time on this site. (or any usernet site).

It's 4am in London (I think- my watch is in the other room)
and I am going to bed.

Alan
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 11:08 pm
Welcome to the wonderful world of the internet, Alan. As you'll soon learn, the internet is buzzing with activity 24 hours a day. We have message posters from all over the world here. Feel free to drop on by our website anytime for a quick chat or lengthy discussion on any given topic.

Not sure how familiar you are with the internet. If this is your maiden voyage, let us know. I'm sure we can offer some helpful advice and resources for you to quickly learn to navigate through the mass of information and also protect yourself.
0 Replies

Alan

Reply Mon 26 May, 2003 12:33 am
Thanks
Dear Butryflynet,

I am not new to the internet but never tried a usernet before as I thought it was a waste of time.

How wrong one can be -you have made me feel welcome.

Sincerely

Alan
Very Happy
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 26 May, 2003 09:45 am
Welcome, Alan!

PS Butrflynet is correct but keep in mind your own views of your posts/topics will also count in the total, as will multiple views by one person. So, a topic with 5 views could be any number of combinations:
* 5 people looking once
* one person looking 5 times
* 2 people reading twice and one person reading once
* the author going back five times to edit the post and no one else reading it
etc.

I'm sure you get the idea.

Greetings from unseasonably chilly Massachusetts!
0 Replies

Alan

Reply Mon 26 May, 2003 12:15 pm
Thanks Jespah
yes Jespah, I think I do, but where did I get this headache.

Hope you had a good weekend.

Alan Very Happy
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:40 am
Ooh, sorry for the headache. We need to perfect the delivery of aspirin (or a martini or whatever you like) through the serial port.
0 Replies

Alan

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:22 pm
Dear Jespah

Thanks for your reply about postings etc. It seems that one does not
have to reply to everyone, just as well as I would not be able to keep up.

Apparently you are a weather freak. Well the weather here in London
is awfully hot and humid. I hate excessive heat and I am getting home from work exhausted from the heat. Knackered. (English word probably not used much in the US).

Anyway good Shabat should you be into that kind of thing and thanks for your help. I won't use the site everyday but I am getting started and have just replied to New Haven on a philosophy matter,
Regards. Alan
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 06:09 am
Heh, I guess I am giving the impression of being a weather groupie. Actually it's just 'cause it's been so cold and damp here lately.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 06:10 am
Y'all should come over here to Ohio . . . effen you doan like the weather, just wait ten minutes--it'll change . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 06:12 am
Jespah- Comon down here. The weather is hot and damp! Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 06:19 am
Butrflynet wrote:
I'm sure we can offer some helpful advice and resources for you to quickly learn to navigate through the mass of information and also protect yourself.

In addition, we have any number of members always prepared and eager to argue obscure, nonsensical or knowingly false points on relatively insignificant issues--in case you're bored some afternoon (which is morning in the New Nighted States, leaving more than ample time for those same individuals to shed every last vestige of intellectual self-respect in their eagerness to "score points" from each other). Additonally, the site has a great number of posters who haven't a serious bone in the body, which leaves them nothing loathe write specious or sophomorically facetious texts on just about any subject, but especailly those on which they haven't a clue--of course, you would never count me among their number.

All seriousness aside, the internet is a place where "folk-wisdom" and the "old wives tale" are alive and well--and they are now known as urban legends. This is a good place to come inquire about any suspicious or simply bizarre claims which you encounter on-line. We are always willing to argue and analyze at too great length on such topics, and there are a few reliable individuals--Walter Hinteler comes to mind--who will respect your question and try to give you a good answer.

Welcome to the Monkey House, Boss . . .
0 Replies